• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Planar magnetic alternative/upgrade from HD6XX

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yep, distortion only at the mentioned levels. The higher distortion level at 114dB is not enough to have audible compression.

Not many people show linearity plots or sweeps at 3 levels incl. 3rd harmonics (which is the tell-tale sign)
I re-checked, I can not see three "Frequency response" curves, I can see distortion curves alright.
Perhaps it has been done before, and concluded it is irrelevent, I stiill would like to see them, for education.
I agree, our ears change perception at differing levels.
My ears are still ringing after hearing Resolves sweeps. :facepalm:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
One should not listen to sweeps.

Amir measured distortion at 3 levels. Only posted a sweep at 94dB.
That one, incl. the distortion measurements, nor my own measurements, nor the fact that this is a planar, gives any concerns about possible soft clipping (compression) at low frequencies and higher levels.

Last edited:

Hewbacca

Read this thread with great interest, as I have HD6xx and want the next thing. I can't say its left me knowing if Sundaras would be better for me or not. I think I have safely confirmed that what I have is good enough and I am just wanting something new. I think realistically what I want is HD800S but am not really willing to spend that.

So I added a 7db shelf below 100hz to my HD6xx and now feel like I have new and exciting headphones :)

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
HD6XX is indeed very nice. The Sundara is just a little different and the difference is big enough for me to be very happy with my purchase. I would rate the Sundara over the HD6XX but not by a large margin.

Top Bottom