• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PI2AES Digital Audio Shield for the Raspberry PI

sanjivnayak

Sir, How good is Teradak LPS 24v to be used with pi2aes. Anybody has compared with Meanwell PSU?
Regards

OP
M

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hard to say, but in most customers experience there will be a small improvement in background noise. But, this also depends greatly on the DAC you have.

turbo2288

I am not offended at all! I am glad you read the manual and I can clarify the last few points.

1. The PI2AES has no impact on the functionality of the Raspberry Pi it is attached to. I would guess the same is true for the Allo device.

2. The I2S over HDMI is LVDS and supports the Gustard Pinout directly. All you need is a standard HDMI cable. Just keep it short (1-3Meters) and you'll be good.

3. The PI2AES provide 5V@4A to the Raspberry Pi GPIO header. You will need to refer to the Allo docs to find out if thjis is sufficient. it is my understand that the USBBridge behaves like a standard Pi so you should be fine.

As for software, that is not something we can advise on. I suggest asking that on the forums the software vendors maintain.

Hi Micheal, The Mean Well PSU provide up to 1.67A, is that enough to power both the Pi2AES and the RPi4?? Since you mentioned before: "PI2AES provide 5V@4A to the Raspberry Pi GPIO header"
I have a 24V 2A PSU that I am afraid to use, I am not much of a electrician :)

Last edited:
OP
M

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi Micheal, The Mean Well PSU provide up to 1.67A, is that enough to power both the Pi2AES and the RPi4?? Since you mentioned before: "PI2AES provide 5V@4A to the Raspberry Pi GPIO header"
I have a 24V 2A PSU that I am afraid to use, I am not much of a electrician :)

It’s all about the Watts (voltage X current). The Meanwell PSU outputs [email protected] or ~40 Watts max. The Pi2AES converts this to 5V@5A or 25 Watts. The PI2AES itself uses less than 5 Watts so the rest, 20 Watts or 5V@4A, is left for the Pi.

sanjivnayak

It’s all about the Watts (voltage X current). The Meanwell PSU outputs [email protected] or ~40 Watts max. The Pi2AES converts this to 5V@5A or 25 Watts. The PI2AES itself uses less than 5 Watts so the rest, 20 Watts or 5V@4A, is left for the Pi.
Today I received the pi2aes and connected pi2aes with meanwell psu and power supply to RPI4 removed. The RPI is booting up but unable to play. What may be the reason?

OP
M

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Can you provide more detail of what software you are running? How do you have configured it and maybe even a photo or two of her you’ve connected everything?

turbo2288

I always wanted to ask how to turn off the Pi2AES? using Volumio there's a power off function, but the Pi2AES stay on, do I just unplug the power afterward or is there a proper way?

OP
M

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Once you go to the proper shut down sequence you can simply remove power. It is possible to put a power switch across pins 13 and 14 of the 16 pin header. This is delivered with a jumper in place that you can simply remove and put a switch across those pins. The hardware Reference manual for the board is on our website that shows this header and it’s pinout.

sanjivnayak

Can you provide more detail of what software you are running? How do you have configured it and maybe even a photo or two of her you’ve connected everything?
Volumio free version installed. I am accessing Tidal through Mconnect app installed in Android mobile. While this works seamlessly without pi2aes. After having installed pi2aes, I removed the power supply to rpi4 and meanwell power supply to pi2aes connected. Now I can boot up volumio with usual process but unable to play songs in Tidal UI. When I select a song the player stops immediately without playing for a moment even.

OP
M

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sometime "hifiberry digi+ pro" driver works, I don't know why.

The PI2AES, Allo Digi-One and HifiBerry Digi+ Pro all use the same driver as they have the same WM8804 chip and use the same GPIO for the clock selection. I never figured out what was the criteria for the software players to include our board by name. We have sent emails to both Volumio and Moode. I think PiCore Player does have our board in their list.

wiiuu

The PI2AES, Allo Digi-One and HifiBerry Digi+ Pro all use the same driver as they have the same WM8804 chip and use the same GPIO for the clock selection. I never figured out what was the criteria for the software players to include our board by name. We have sent emails to both Volumio and Moode. I think PiCore Player does have our board in their list.

Hi Micheal,

Whats the reason for dropping PI2AES , and going forward only with PI2AES-LITE ?
huge difference in electrical input, with less ports.

What advantage is PI2AES-LITE bringing ?

OP
M

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi Micheal,

Whats the reason for dropping PI2AES , and going forward only with PI2AES-LITE ?
huge difference in electrical input, with less ports.

What advantage is PI2AES-LITE bringing ?

We can not get certain parts that were used on the PI2AES. The LITE was designed to remove those and still cover most basic use cases Our Mercury Streamer covers higher end uses.

The LITE uses 5V in and has no wide range input converter, so you can use an external linear and get a complete linear power chain.

wiiuu

We can not get certain parts that were used on the PI2AES. The LITE was designed to remove those and still cover most basic use cases Our Mercury Streamer covers higher end uses.

The LITE uses 5V in and has no wide range input converter, so you can use an external linear and get a complete linear power chain.

PI2AES-LITE in stock ?

OP
M

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
PI2AES-LITE in stock ?

Soon. The assembly house has given me a delivery date of July 18. But we will need a week or two to begin testing, packing and start cutting the acrylic cases for the current orders that we have. Any new order right now would probably ship around the first week of August.

wiiuu

Soon. The assembly house has given me a delivery date of July 18. But we will need a week or two to begin testing, packing and start cutting the acrylic cases for the current orders that we have. Any new order right now would probably ship around the first week of August

Delivering to Germany(EU) ?
Have you experienced issues by the German customs regarding the CE (EU) conformity and the Manual in German language ?

Any partner here ?

OP
M

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Delivering to Germany(EU) ?
Have you experienced issues by the German customs regarding the CE (EU) conformity and the Manual in German language ?

Any partner here ?

No issues with customs or CE due to the fact that it is a board level product. As such it seems to be OK.

We can ship to the EU and have many customers all over the continent.

Top Bottom