• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Physical stores neumann kh420 and Focal Trio11be ?

sysfc6

Has anyone auditioned the neumann kh420 and the Focal Trio11be at a brick and mortar store and felt that one was more reproducible?

:facepalm:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Has anyone auditioned the neumann kh420 and the Focal Trio11be at a brick and mortar store and felt that one was more reproducible?
Are you planning to buy some speakers at some point?

dfuller

Major Contributor
The 420s are hands down better in pretty much every respect.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're looking for a store then Sweetwater has both of these you can demo.

Abaxial

This guy liked the KH420 better, but he very specifically didn't want to use a subwoofer. This may not apply to your room design/general preferences.

I don't have experience with either, but from measurements, it appears that Focal as a company go for very wide horizontal dispersion and more extended treble (adding some of the 25-30 kHz+ stuff that is inaudible but may-or-may not have subharmonic interaction). Neumanns measure very flat but are sometimes described as having a bit of a dark "presentation" in the treble. I do think that in general that tweeter presentation is an ultimately subjective experience; one man's harsh is another's detailed and so forth, and that this is not necessarily something that you can infer from the measurements. So +1 to demoing yourself if at all possible.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You may want to be mindful of this that was posted on another thread:
Those problems have been reported more than 5 years ago.
I understand there are ongoing issues with some units and there are also reports of very slow customer service, so if you do want to purchase the KH 420, it may be wise to buy the actual units you audition. They otherwise sound fabulous.
The annoying problem (bad midrange driver, beeping ps) should be fixed by now. My colleague who bought a pair back then got them both replaced (beeping ps).

OP
sysfc6

sysfc6

这些问题在5年前就被报道过。

恼人的问题(坏中音驱动器,哔哔ps)现在应该是固定的。我的同事买了一双回来,然后把它们都换掉了(哔哔ps)。
Are you saying that 420's are more prone to bad mids? Is that a common problem with this product?

OP
sysfc6

sysfc6

您可能需要注意发布在另一个帖子上的内容:
【URL unfull =“true“】https://www . AK tives-hoeren . de/view topic . PHP?t = 9650【/URL】
我知道有些单元存在持续的问题,也有关于客户服务非常缓慢的报告,因此如果您确实想购买KH 420,购买您试听的实际单元可能是明智的。其他方面听起来棒极了。
Are you saying that 420's are more prone to bad mids? Is that a common problem with this product?,,

Jaxjax

I would audition a pair of core 59 against both those in your space. The 420 should win out...but you could save your self 3-3.5k by doing so. I have ran the twin 6 be in my space & it didn't work out. You really got to go with someone that has a good return policy & try them out. It's a pain setting up & re boxing when it doesn't work out but you are probably young so it won't hurt ya.
Joe

OP
sysfc6

sysfc6

I would audition a pair of core 59 against both those in your space. The 420 should win out...but you could save your self 3-3.5k by doing so. I have ran the twin 6 be in my space & it didn't work out. You really got to go with someone that has a good return policy & try them out. It's a pain setting up & re boxing when it doesn't work out but you are probably young so it won't hurt ya.
Joe
Are you saying twin 6 be better than 420?

Jaxjax

Are you saying twin 6 be better than 420?
No..
I disliked the twin 6be for many reasons..
I was saying you should audition Dynaudio core 59 in your space if your looking at Trio 11 be. & I would run them against the 420 as it is a 3.-3.5k differance between 59 & 420. Sweetwater has them all. VK most likely does too. If I were to look at another from 59 it would be the 420 but a 3-3.5 difference might not be there hence why I haven't done it.

sibi1865

Are you saying that 420's are more prone to bad mids? Is that a common problem with this product?,,
Owners have reported problems with the mid and psu within the past two years when it was thought they had been resolved. Otherwise, the mid is excellent. Cracking noises on heating and cooling have been reported within the past year.

Haskil

Forum Donor

:facepalm:
I don't know the Neumann 420 but I know the Focal Trio 11 BE because a friend has a pair in his large furnished living room, with carpets, lots of objects, armchairs and sofas and pictures on the wall (6 m x 10 m and 3.5 m under ceiling: listening distance 3 to 4 m) and they sound magnificent from bass to treble, with a transparent and clean sound, without harshness in the treble and reproduce a remarkable stereophonic space on the orchestral records.

I don't know the Neumann KH 420, but I know the KH 310 which are excellent but which I find quite dull (more than dark) listened to in a Radio France-France Musique studio where I participate in a record review show based on on blind listening (!) of interpretation.

When you consult the public prices, in Europe you can find the Focal for a price significantly below the price of the KH 420... But, note however that the Focal do not really have all the "modern progress" in terms of DSP and that Focal is far from offering software comparable to that offered by Neumann and Génélec whose 8341 should be seriously considered compared to the Focal Trio 11BE and Neumann KH 420...

Top Bottom