• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phono Cartridge for Archival Use

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi. I am wondering what phono cartridges you would recommend for digitizing and archiving rare records. I know there is already an active thread on cartridges so I apologize if this thread is not considered a different question. If so, just let me know.

Anyways, I have a lot of rare records that I would like to digitize and archive. In theory I want to make sure that I am using a cartridge that will reproduce a neutral and wide frequency response. The world of record discourse is quite superficial and problematic for me so I feel that you guys and girls are my best hope.

My phono set-up comprises of a Clearaudio Concept turntable with the Carbon tonearm, a Denon DL 103R cartridge, a Manley Chinook tube stage set to a 100ohm load and 60dB gain (as I let my amp do the heavy work), and a miniDSP SHD that I use as an ADC. I am considering getting a solid state Pro-Ject Phono Box S2 Ultra phono pre for this project as I recognize that the Chinook is really an aesthetic rather than transparent phono stage. (If I do, I would offer it to Amir for review.) Still, as is, I believe I can utilize most cartridges.

Is the Denon up to the task? I bought it after a lot of research as a no nonsense cartridge that I felt was not overpriced like a lot of this gear. I understand that this technology is problematic at best, but I would appreciate knowing that I am doing an adequate job at preserving these records. Also, I'd rather just do this once!

Many thanks.

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would use a cartridge with a very flat frequency response, using an additional equaliser after normal RIAA EQ, given that very few cartridges have a flat response. To achieve that you'll need a good test LP.

I would use a cartridge with a line contact stylus which should both preserve the record and also do a better job on worn LPs. Ideally, the stylus profile needs to match the LP era but without going OTT, a modern line contact stylus does a good enough job on early mono, stereo and Quad LP.

My 'normal' cartridge for both listening and archiving is the EMT TSD15, but I also use a Shure V15-V SAS if I'm in any way concerned about the possibility of mistracking on an especially hot LP.

S

JeyElDee

The best cartridge you find for listening will be the best one for archiving. Though you might want a higher output voltage. Ortofon had the "arkiv" with very good specs and channel separation. The Ortofon DJ-E is the same needle with another colour. This is my favourite.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would use a cartridge with a very flat frequency response, using an additional equaliser after normal RIAA EQ, given that very few cartridges have a flat response. To achieve that you'll need a good test LP.
I assume you are suggesting this is done in the digital domain after capture. Working out the correction to apply will be the tricky part.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume you are suggesting this is done in the digital domain after capture. Working out the correction to apply will be the tricky part.

Frankly, with vinyl, I don't think it matters whether it's done digitally or analogue. What I meant by using an extra equaliser is to take the RIAA equalised output of the phono stage, and correct for the cartridge's frequency response errors. Mostly, the now very common HF rise, and with some cartridges, the 2-8kHz dip. It's easy enough to derive the correction required if using a good test record, but if that's not available, then the cartridge's published paper sweep that's included with many of the better cartridges, is probably good enough.

I presume that if the object is archival storage, then one wouldn't use a cheap cartridge that didn't come with its own frequency response plot.

S.

Top Bottom