• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Temperature & Humidity For Use and Storage Of Vinyl Records and Phono Cartridges

dennis h

Having recently retired from a mild weather California beach city and moving to S.E. Asia to play grandpa I got to thinking about the warm/hot weather and high humidity that I am now enjoying (not).
Never paid attention to the mild weather from where I came as it related to audio.
So is there any thing in the literature available that would tell me the temperature range to set the air conditioner for playing vinyl records and their storage as well as for phono cartridges ?
How about a humidity range for the dehumidifier I am acquiring ?
What is the best way to store phono cartridges with some saying the suspensions are junk in five years?
Ozone affects on the dampers?
I have questions.
In 2014 Jonathan Carr (Lyra) liked 22-23 C with a relative humidity of 58-60% as the operating range of his cartridges.
Sound reasonable?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In Florida here, I use the small size Damprid boxes to store things and keep humidity at bay. The last months in a closet and swap out easily. We have two dehumidifiers, but these Damprid is so much easier for small spaces like a large plastic storage box or closet. I even keep one in the car is summer months during the rainy season.

OP
D

dennis h

Thank you Dunring !
Was thinking of getting something like this :
for all the small bits.
Any better ideas ?
Most of my collection is p-mounts.

Top Bottom