• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Peachtree Gan 1 beta testing sign-ups open

georgehifi

Well it didn't take them long and digital input with dsp , hopefully @amirm may get hold of one to test seeing they are soooooo cheap!!!

Cheers George

Last edited:

georgehifi

A subjective review done last month on the Peachtree "GaN-1" 2nd gen amps other being "Carina GaN"
Now all we need is a review sample for tech performance for Amirm to play with

Cheers George

Koeitje

Major Contributor

A subjective review done last month on the Peachtree "GaN-1" 2nd gen amps other being "Carina GaN"
Now all we need is a review sample for tech performance for Amirm to play with

Cheers George
I learned absolutely nothing from this review. So much text and no useful information.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The first part of the review says all you need to know about the reviewer and the review:

"There is zero feedback within the amplifier circuitry of the GaN 1, which preserves fidelity. By design, most traditional amplifiers need to take a tiny bit of the signal after amplifying it and feed it back into the signal path before the amplification section to make the amplifier stable. That’s just how many traditional amps work, but doing so can lower the fidelity of the sound a little bit. Peachtree has gone the more difficult design route to assure feedback is not required. Amp geeks like me are starting to rejoice."

Clearly the reviewer knows nothing about feedback, which actually improves the fidelity when done right (see: Hypex, Purifi, etc.). Further, there is no mention at all in the review of the load dependency of this amp as a result of the open loop topology and the issues that presents regarding fidelity.

Worthless waste of time, but I figured that going in.

georgehifi

If you ever A/B'd an amp that already has good low distortion and low output impedance without having to resort to masses of global feedback, just some local.
And then listened to the same amp with masses of global instead just to get those figures even a bit better again, then (if you have ears) you know what they're on about.

Just slapping loads of global feedback around amps to get great .000001% figures, is just a bandaid fix. Designing an amp with little or no global feedback in the 1st place to have good figures is a hell of a lot harder to do and in the end better sounding for it.

Cheers George

Last edited:

goryu

If you ever A/B'd an amp that already has good low distortion and low output impedance without having to resort to masses of global feedback, just some local.
And then listened to the same amp with masses of global instead just to get those figures even a bit better again, then (if you have ears) you know what they're on about.

Cheers George

If you knew more about feedback and open loop vs closed loop in class d amps a la Hypex and Purifi, perhaps you wouldn't be stuck in that 1970's mentality that there is something wrong with feedback done properly and you might know what Putzeys is on about.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Cheers George

Do it again blind, and you'll be back to random guessing.

georgehifi

Speakers have whole percents points of distortions!! it doesn't matter if the amp is .001% or .00001%, but it does sound very different when a little local vs a lot of global feedback is used around a well designed same amp, so long as damping factor (output impedance) is still kept reasonable, the local feedback will and does sound better, "less sterile".

Cheers George

Last edited:

goryu

What might sound different is using an amp with load dependent frequency response.

You seem to have yet grasped the reality that there is no "sounds better", only "sounds different". I think you are in the wrong venue.

Seems like your a fan of distortion. To each his own.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
but it does sound very different when a little local vs a lot of global feedback is used around a well designed same amp, so long as damping factor (output impedance) is still kept reasonable, the local feedback will and does sound better, "less sterile".

Any proof of of that, other than anecdotes?

georgehifi

Seems like your a fan of distortion.
No, not when it's that low and then in the end coming through speakers that are "hundreds of percents higher" before reaching your ear.
But the difference in sound between little or no feedback on a well designed amp that still has good measurements vs the same one with masses of feedback is quite startling to your listening pleasure, should try it one day.;)

Cheers George

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

georgehifi

"There is no such thing as too much feedback" no not to an analyzer, but to an ear there is.

Whatever, wait till mosfet Hypex/Puifi mosfet supply stock run out, and then see where they look to for their next gen output devices, together with a total circuit redesign.

Cheers George

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
That makes no sense, IMO.

The Hypex/Purifi modules use off-the-shelf parts that are widely available. Just because GaN FETs are taking over in the high speed power switching segment of the electronics industry, doesn't mean that old-school MOSFETs will disappear completely. They will remain as a cheaper alternative for slow(er) speed switching for a very long time to come.

GaN gives largely pointless performance gains at the sweet-spot switching speed of a class D amplifier. Helps a bit with lowering the thermal losses, though.

A better use of GaN would be to focus on the PSUs. A bridgeless totem-pole PFC design switching at several MHz. That would do a lot more in the hunt for better power density.

The real next-gen is what we are seeing with the chips from Axign. Global feedback with an ADC in the middel. The horror! ;)

I can imagine the mountains of "sterility" the typical audiophile hears from those when the expectation bias kicks in :D

goryu

"There is no such thing as too much feedback" no not to an analyzer, but to an ear there is.

Whatever, wait till mosfet Hypex/Puifi mosfet supply stock run out, and then see where they look to for their next gen output devices, together with a total circuit redesign.

Cheers George

lol, get a clue. This is getting old and tiresome.

Hypex has their product produced in SE Asia as I recall. Lars Risbo already shut down your nutty theory on the DIY audio site. Guess you decided to drag that stinking bag of doggie doodoo over here. Good luck with that.

georgehifi

lol, get a clue. This is getting old and tiresome.
Then stay away if it worries you so much and don't believe in semiconductor progress.

Last edited:

goryu

Then stay away if it worries you so much and don't believe in semiconductor progress.
I'm not worried in the least. What I don't believe in is willful ignorance. You continue to spread your subjective bs here and everywhere without the slightest factual evidence to support your vapid claims. If I didn't know better I would say you must own stock in a GaN related company. Oh, wait, you have already said you do. Guess we know what is motivating you.

georgehifi

Deleted, sorry not biting, you have an agenda that I'm not going to pander to.

As I said it's all subjective.
Bruno Putzey: "There is no such thing as too much feedback"
No not to an analyzer there's not. But to an ear there is if the amp still measures well with just a little local feedback and has good specs still.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
No not to an analyzer there's not. But to an ear there is if the amp still measures well with just a little local feedback and has good specs still.

Then be absolutely sure to test only the ear with nothing else in the mix. Double blind and proper controls.

And that's not an "agenda". It simply removes hearsay and bias from the subjective data and turns it into usefull information.

I honestly can't fathom why you are so content relying on unsupported assertion.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where's the measurements on this amp, not interested in anyone's sighted listening impressions.

Top Bottom