• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paul McGowan (PS Audio) is back with another silly "Power Plant" video

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
Example of a typical Paul response to a question from a listener.

Listener: "Paul, what do you think of power conditioners impact on sound?"

Paul: "You know, that reminds me of a fishing trip I took to Alaska.....".

AudiOhm

WOW... at 1:00 in Paul says that he has the same Audio Precision Equipment that ASR uses, where are the measurements?

Ohms

AudiOhm

beeface

Uncle Paul is gonna keep doing his thing on YouTube. It's a cheaper and more effective marketing tool than buying ads in hi-fi magazines nobody reads anymore.

Hopefully, over time, ASR and similar sites will influence the industry enough that Uncle Paul and his ilk are forced to be more honest with their customers and only sell honest products. We just have to bide our time.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, so he brings up the impedance argument, which was already thoroughly debunked in the ASR review.

Also, weren’t these devices not mainly recommended for DACs and preamps? Don’t these devices already have active regulation, and therefore the AC impedance is irrelevant? Never mind the few Watts those class of devices draw..

And in case of amps: it’s far cheaper to lower impedance of an amps unregulated PSU by just adding more capacitance behind the transformer. Speaking about transformers, guess what the transformer will do to the impedance…?

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
7b368e.jpg

JSmith

OnLyTNT

How impressive that he claims Amir doesn't understand how a power plant works, then proceeds to explain "regulation" and talking full of ..... He is clueless about regulation.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Okay, so he brings up the impedance argument, which was already thoroughly debunked in the ASR review.

Also, weren’t these devices not mainly recommended for DACs and preamps? Don’t these devices already have active regulation, and therefore the AC impedance is irrelevant? Never mind the few Watts those class of devices draw..

And in case of amps: it’s far cheaper to lower impedance of an amps unregulated PSU by just adding more capacitance behind the transformer. Speaking about transformers, guess what the transformer will do to the impedance…?

I don't accept the impedance argument was 'thoroughly' debunked at all. It was an unprofessional hit-job on someone who certain people think is an easy target. Thing is, Paul McGowan has the last laugh and he remains a gentlemen throughout the entire fiasco. Just another ugly ASR pile-on that makes all involved look really silly.

I bet he's already sold more of the Powerplants, thanks to noise made on certain internet forums. Good on him I say.

So, what is the actual output impedance of the PS audio device? We know Amir's initial measurement was completely wrong. A second or third measurement showed two different numbers including one about half his mains supply impedance.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, what is the actual output impedance of the PS audio device? We know Amir's initial measurement was completely wrong. A second or third measurement showed two different numbers including one about half his mains supply impedance.
I don’t think that is the correct question though. The questions should be: why should you care? How does this impact the output signal of the devices? Can you backup any of the audibility and visibility claims?

Last edited:

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
It just goes to show, there are a lot of stupid people with money...

Ohms
Thing is, stupidity may help but it's not at all a prerequisite. Lots of smart people, even with impressive resumes, enjoy being taken for a ride into the snake oil realm, under the assumption that if they hear it then it exists objectively, and because of their ingrained craving to buy that shiny gear that would improve their system a notch.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Our most powerful compact AC regenerator, the P12 regenerates new, safe, and pure AC from your home's power outlets for breathtaking improvement.
The DirectStream Power Plant 12 takes your incoming AC power and regenerate new sine-wave-perfect, regulated high current AC power. In the process of regeneration any problems on your power line such as low voltage, distorted waveforms, sagging power and noise are eliminated. The results are both audibly and visually stunning when powering either audio or video products. Further, the level of protection afforded connected equipment is extraordinary. Feel 100% confident that a P12 will provide pure and safe power under any condition. Don’t starve your music or risk damaging your equipment. A P12 gives you greatly improved performance and safety from just plugging into the wall socket and far better dynamics, bass and a much bigger, open soundstage than any passive power conditioner on the market.
:facepalm:

JSmith

OnLyTNT

Here is my question: if these "devices" creates extraordinary results while reproduction, why aren't they used in "production" process? Do you know any professionals in music or film industry use such devices? Not talking about UPSs or other power conditioning solutions...

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
:facepalm:

JSmith
That really is fraudulent ad copy. I'd be ashamed to work for them.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

PowerPlant 12

Our most powerful compact AC regenerator, the P12 regenerates new, safe, and pure AC from your home's power outlets for breathtaking improvement.

This thing produces safe AC ?

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I don’t think that is the correct question though. The questions should be: why should you care? How does this impact the output signal of the devices?

That may be your question, but it sure isn't mine. I like to ask my own questions, thanks. :)

So, you also do not know the supply impedance of the PS audio device? Maybe it's in a spec someplace- I didn't see it?

That's my line impedance. What's yours and how much modulation of primary and secondary supplies in your amplifiers have you observed under dynamic conditions? (hint: it's more than you'd think)

A high power amplifier operating at an elevated level modulates the supply to itself and any and all other devices plugged into the same circuit/power board. The PS Audio device regulates the supply, offers a low supply impedance, demonstrably lower than most peoples' power outlets and is proven to maintain its output voltage within a tighter range. That is a good thing and nobody with the slightest semblance of intelligence could argue otherwise.

And what is this:
Can you backup any of the audibility and visibility claims?

Don't ask me to be a spokesperson for PS Audio. It's not my job, I don't work for them and I make zero claims in relation to their product. I look at the whole picture objectively. Just stop the puerile keel-hauling attacks on a company and a man. It's just pathetic and has been going on for way too long on ASR.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we can do a whole lot better.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That may be your question, but it sure isn't mine. I like to ask my own questions, thanks. :)
Sure, go ahead!
That is a good thing and nobody with the slightest semblance of intelligence could argue otherwise.
If it doesn't have any real-world impact, why should I care? If it has real-world impact, under what specific instances is that? What's the exact gain I can expect to get? None of this is made clear.

Don't ask me to be a spokesperson for PS Audio. It's not my job, I don't work for them and I make zero claims in relation to their product.
It's not a question for you specifically, it's a question that should be asked for basically any audio product.
I look at the whole picture objectively.
Maybe use one of those Power Plants then, they may remove some noise from that picture...
Just stop the puerile keel-hauling attacks on a company and a man.
He's the one making nonsense and contradictory claims. Does the thing remove noise now, or add noise? I don't know, his website says the opposite thing from the video now... Making claims about improved video performance with this thing...? I'm sorry, but I see no reason not to ridicule this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom