• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive speakers <$500/pair

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since this rabbit hole was gone done in the Bargain DAC Suggestions thread, and since sub-$500 is a popular price point for many people buying their first pair of speakers, I thought a fresh thread might be warranted to suggest and discuss various sub-$500/pair passive speakers.

I think it'd be interesting to discuss both bookshelf/standmount models and some floorstanding models, since different people might have different sized rooms or bass preferences, or might be planning to integrate subwoofers etc, while all basically having the same goal of putting together a decent value-for-money passive speaker based system.

Without having looked at or listened to the whole field by any means, my opening suggestion is the $300-350/pair Wharfedale Diamond 220 (some measurements here).

As I said in the other thread, these speakers measure remarkably well for a budget speaker and seem to have no obvious flaws.

My only cautionary comments would be that, as a neutral measuring speaker, they would best be listened to at moderate volume levels. For low volume levels, and particularity for background listening, something with a bit of built-in "loudness" might be preferred. Also, they have a 5" woofer so they're not at all capable of low bass (the -3dB point seems to be about 80Hz).

In other words, these will be suited to involved listening (I hate the phrase "critical" listening but that's what I mean, as opposed to background listening), either standalone in a very small room, with subs in a small-medium sized room, or as surrounds.

I've never heard these speakers so my comments are based only on the measurements, which come from a reliable source (NRC Canada). But please feel free to comment with subjective impressions too :)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Diamond 220's get lots of positive reviews. Elac Debut series is also an often mentioned choice in the budget category.

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Diamond 220's get lots of positive reviews. Elac Debut series is also an often mentioned choice in the budget category.

Stereophile has measured the Elac Debut B6 which are also about $350/pair.

It's also a neutral speaker that measures extremely well for this price point, and it seems to have a bit more bass extension than the Wharfedales (it's difficult to compare though because Stereophile's measurements are not anechoic). OTOH, Stereophile measured a very strong cabinet resonance in the upper bass which seems to be the only thing letting them down slightly.

bakker_be

Speakers that get a lot of good reviews here in Europe are the Ultima-series by Teufel, a German Internet-direct audio manufacturer. Even the floorstanding model (Ultima 40) is just below the 500€ limit. I personally have 2 sets of the bookshelf model (Ultima 20), one doing surround duty, the other in my kitchen and I've advised a buddy of mine to buy an entire 5.1 set having both (+ center speaker with the same drivers, and a sub). They're not really neutral (to my ear at least) but a lot of fun to listen to. I know of no independent measurements though and I'm not equipped to perform some myself.
Personally I like their effortless dynamics, their clarity and the way they don't lose track of the rhythm.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some other possibilities are powered speakers like low end JBL's and most of the Audioengine line. I don't know if these are only suitable for near field.

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some other possibilities are powered speakers like low end JBL's and most of the Audioengine line. I don't know if these are only suitable for near field.

In general, any "near-field" speaker should be fine when listened to in the far field, but the reverse is not always true.

Acutally, the near-field/far-field distinction is a little arbitrary. Some speakers with low-order crossovers (e.g. Dunlavy speakers) or with large drivers or horns are designated as "far-field" because the outputs from the drivers do not sum correctly until measured 2 or 3m from the speaker. Such speakers should only be listened to in the far field.

"Near-field" speakers are simply speakers with higher-order crossovers and/or smaller drivers (most speakers). These usually sum correctly from a distance of 1m or less, and can therefore be listened to near-field. However, they also tend to sum correctly at greater distances, and so can also be listened to far-field.

The main reason not to use a near-field speaker in the far field would be that it is not capable of sufficient SPLs at a distance or in a large room. But this is more a function of the size of the woofer and other factors affecting the speaker's max output and distortion levels.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"Near-field" speakers are simply speakers with higher-order crossovers and/or smaller drivers (most speakers). These usually sum correctly from a distance of 1m or less, and can therefore be listened to near-field. However, they also tend to sum correctly at greater distances, and so can also be listened to far-field.

That explains a lot. Some guy "NoAudiophile" tested B&W 686 S2's and said they sucked. He doesn't make it clear that he is only interested in near field performance and it took me a while to figure it out. Those B&W's have a simple first order crossover as I recall. I owned 685 S2's and traded them for 683 S2's which were destroyed by the flooding from hurricane Harvey. Let's say the B&W brand is permanently in my rear view mirror these days.

I just looked at the Audio Advisor website, they have several offerings under $500 including the Elac Unifi UB5, Martin Logan LX 16 (used to be $850 pr), Monitor Audio Bronze 2, and PSB Imagine XB. I don't know how good any of them are, but all come from respected manufacturers.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've been dealing with the products from Dr Poh Hsu for over 30 years now. He offers a couple stand mounted speakers in that price range. All his products have been critically acclaimed in the home theater world and the 5.2 system I'm currently running satisfies my needs in my small space.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/index.html

Krunok

Major Contributor
I would like to offer my opinion that when choosing a simple 3 box setup (DAC, amp & speakers) in a $1000 setup I would choose to spend 30-40% of that budget for a speakers as I believe they are THE most critical part of the setup and that is far easier to find a decent DAC and amp for the rest of that sum.

Last edited:
OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to offer my opinion that when choosing a simple 3 box setup (DAC, amp & speakers) in a $1000 setup I would choose to spend 30-40% of that budget for a speakers as I believe they are THE most critical part of the setup and that is fa reasier to find decent DAC and amp for the rest of that sum.

Deinitely! I would spend an even greater proportion (60% maybe) on the speakers but I'm possibly biased...

Krunok

Major Contributor

Krunok

Major Contributor
Deinitely! I would spend an even greater proportion (60% maybe) on the speakers but I'm possibly biased...

It's not about being biased, it's about the physical fact that it is much more difficult to convert electric waves to sound waves than to convert digital signal to analog or to amplify them. And here I mean MUCH more difficult.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd start by suggesting in this price range don't do passive speakers. Some variation of the LSR JBL series and one of their subs if one wishes fit in this price range. The money saved on an amp will probably pay for a sub if you wish to use the LSR's in a bigger room. I don't know of any $500 passive that would be the equal (not that I've knowledge of every product available). I can say the old Revel F12 floor standers, which are priced in the $500 range second hand offer advantages over the LSR305's. Assuming you already have a good amp to play them. And the F12's are rather efficient and an easy load so a monster amp is not required.

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd start by suggesting in this price range don't do passive speakers. Some variation of the LSR JBL series and one of their subs if one wishes fit in this price range. The money saved on an amp will probably pay for a sub if you wish to use the LSR's in a bigger room. I don't know of any $500 passive that would be the equal (not that I've knowledge of every product available). I can say the old Revel F12 floor standers, which are priced in the $500 range second hand offer advantages over the LSR305's. Assuming you already have a good amp to play them. And the F12's are rather efficient and an easy load so a monster amp is not required.

I pretty much agree with you on this. Many active speakers that perform very well in this price range and there are even more choices for a few hundred $ more, which would be accounted for by the money you'd save not having to buy an amp on top of the speakers.

And even if you don't use subs, active speakers will generally be designed to have better bass extension, and the woofer will be high-pass filtered just below the port tuning frequency, allowing the speaker to play louder and distort less.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been dealing with the products from Dr Poh Hsu for over 30 years now. He offers a couple stand mounted speakers in that price range. All his products have been critically acclaimed in the home theater world and the 5.2 system I'm currently running satisfies my needs in my small space.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/index.html
The CCB-8 is over $500.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The CCB-8 is over $500.
Yea, they're $740 a pair.
The HB-1's are $380 a pair and sound excellent. I've had 4 in my 5.2.4 rig for about 4 years now, plus 1 $290 HC-1 center, and 2 of his subs. I drive the hell out of them and they just keep on performing. Played Dead Pool 2 last night at reference +5 level for a bit last night without issue, the house windows were breathing. :eek: LOL

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea, they're $740 a pair.
The HB-1's are $380 a pair and sound excellent. I've had 4 in my 5.2.4 rig for about 4 years now, plus 1 $290 HC-1 center, and 2 of his subs. I drive the hell out of them and they just keep on performing. Played Dead Pool 2 last night at reference +5 level for a bit last night without issue, the house windows were breathing. :eek: LOL

Two Hsu subs ought to be able to shake the place.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a set of those. Not much to complain about really. Nice tonal balance and good clarity.

The powered JBL's have a following.

Top Bottom