• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paris Audio Video Show 2023

jeffme

Forum Donor
That's fine, I'll take the risk.;)
And, this is why I'm here. Opinions from still serious & objective-minded audiophiles! Thank you!!

Noted & corrected on the Sointuvas!

Thanks also for differentiating the Buchardt (& fixing my spelling!) / Dynaudio vs. Duetto - that's exactly the dynamic of performance differentials at similar price points. Not sure SF, B&W can continue their offerings at these price points, as consumer research goes up along with prices and firms like Dynaudio stepping up where they haven't. Those Focus 10s are sharp looking, like the Buchardts.

I've also added the Rialtos to my list on the "lower" end (aka, just above 2 Sonos Fives + Sub).

Really appreciate the additional perspective - merci!

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
That's fine, I'll take the risk.;)

Sointuva are passive. Devialet are not comparable, being marketed for a more mainstream audience. They extend very deep, but they don't sound right at all. LS50W2 are good, but they do not hit very low. Formation, I have no clue, I still need to give them a listen.

Now... the SF Duetto. As @boXem said, it was pleasant to see that the actual designer, who was there for the demo, really knew his stuff. Still, for 4k€, I wasn't that impressed (it's sounded alright, but not amazing). Thing is, at this MSRP Duettos are landing in a tough competition, with actually cheaper Buchardt A500s, that I consider superior, not to mention my actual speakers (A500s Signature Edition) that IMHO are just in another league. By the way, while the A500 SE is sold out, the new Buchardt A10 seems to perform mostly similar, but with less bass extension and SPL.

I would add the Dynaudio Focus 10s to the list, that were demoed at PAVS last year. These really impressed me. Sounded massive, filled the entire room, had smooth highs and very consistent low-end, considering the unique 5.5" woofer in such a small cabinet. Sure, it costs 1k€ more, but I'm sure you can negotiate for less. And, no, theses are not "just" Evoke 10 (that I'm also familiar with) with an internal amp. The active crossover/DSP is doing an amazing job.

In a lower price point, you also have the Cabasse Rialto, that pleased me both times I heard them. They cost about the same, or a bit pricier than the LS50W2, and they deserve consideration.
I will add
- that the SF Duetto are beautifully built, we spent some time just manipulating them. A very nice object, like all SF production.
- that the Cabasse Rialto are indeed quite good, better than higher priced Cabasse stuff.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
- that the SF Duetto are beautifully built, we spent some time just manipulating them. A very nice object, like all SF production.
Indeed.
- that the Cabasse Rialto are indeed quite good, better than higher priced Cabasse stuff.
Perhaps what I preferred in that room finally was the cheapest ones, the Murano + Abyss (DSP Amp)...

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They claim 17k visitors for this year (which, I assume, is cumulative for the four days, including Friday and Monday, that were reserved for professionals). If you ask me, I really felt like the place was less crowded than last year ("12k visitors")... But I went on Saturday instead of Sunday this time.

Report from French forum HCFR :
Probably shot on professional day, considering the few people around.

K0RnY

Superb photos! As if we were there! Thanks so much for sharing, a real hard reporter's job, with all the post-prod work that goes with it!

For my part, I wasn't really impressed by the Magico S3s, especially considering their asking price.
I was much more impressed by the Sonus Faber Stradivari (not to mention the aesthetics, because Sonus is all about magnificent work).
My greatest discovery at the show, however, was Diptyque Audio's isodynamic panels, as I listened to their flagship Reference. A real sound bubble, and an absolutely impressive low-frequency response for panels (with no cabinet, unlike what you'd find on Martin Logan electrostatics, for example). A very interesting quality/size ratio (although the price is in line with the performance provided...).

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My greatest discovery at the show, however, was Diptyque Audio's isodynamic panels, as I listened to their flagship Reference. A real sound bubble, and an absolutely impressive low-frequency response for panels (with no cabinet, unlike what you'd find on Martin Logan electrostatics, for example). A very interesting quality/size ratio (although the price is in line with the performance provided...).
Pretty sure it was the DP160 MkII instead:
1000021172.png

Here are the Reference:
1000021174.png

But, yeah these sounded great. ;)

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Pretty sure it was the DP160 MkII instead:
View attachment 326053
Here are the Reference:
View attachment 326054
But, yeah these sounded great. ;)
This is a great design example. It's not in my price range, but I really like what I see in terms of form and function. Sometimes really beautiful and extravagant audio product designs come especially from France.

Incidentally, I've also heard some very good magnetostats from time to time since the 1970s.

Top Bottom