• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paid vs Free Room EQ for Stereo

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am wondering what advantages paid DSP software such as DIRAC has over the cheaper/free options for stereo playback?

I use MathAudio's RoomEQ, which is free for use with Foobar2000. It has made a massive improvement in sound quality for me as I previously didn't use any DSP/room correction. I use it for a combined system involving either 2x Neumann KH310s or Tannoy V12s with a pair of BK XXLS400FF stereo subs. Here's the thing though : it is free and very easy to set up... So this makes me think there has to be a catch/tradeoff.
ie what do DIRAC, Rephase etc do that MathAudio doesn't?

Anyway, any info most welcome, and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. Couldn't find much via search...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
From my POV, paid solutions tend to have more complex backends and/or more user friendly frontends.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's the thing though : it is free and very easy to set up... So this makes me think there has to be a catch/tradeoff. ie what do DIRAC, Rephase etc do that MathAudio doesn't?
System wide EQ? Math audio can do that as well, and then it’s no longer free… the only thing free is the Foobar plugin.

As with all things audio, price is rarely an indicator of performance.

OP
Chr1

Chr1

Forum Donor
Thanks. I guess the thing that I find so weird is that MathAudio is almost too easy. Takes a matter of minutes to plug in a UMIK-1, fire off some test tones and choose a level/curve for whatever speakers you are using. Too easy surely?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I guess the thing that I find so weird is that MathAudio is almost too easy. Takes a matter of minutes to plug in a UMIK-1, fire off some test tones and choose a level/curve for whatever speakers you are using. Too easy surely?
Dirac isn’t more complex… start, measure a few points, draw your curve, save filter preset.

OP
Chr1

Chr1

Forum Donor
OK, thanks. But what advantages does it have over MathAudio RoomEQ? From what I can make out it is fairly pricey. RoomEQ is free. I am assuming that there's a catch... Or no?
Perhaps RoomEQ, like Foobar2000 is just very good free software...either way, I am a happy camper.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, thanks. But what advantages does it have over MathAudio RoomEQ? From what I can make out it is fairly pricey. RoomEQ is free. I am assuming that there's a catch... Or no?
Again, it’s not free. It’s only free as a Foobar plugin. If you use Foobar, lucky you, if not, you pay.

OP
Chr1

Chr1

Forum Donor
Cool, thanks. Seems like a no-brainier if it's just for stereo playback and you'd rather avoid pricey alternatives. Foobar and MathAudio it is then.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, it’s not free. It’s only free as a Foobar plugin. If you use Foobar, lucky you, if not, you pay.
Thats correct the systemwide solution is not free but for what it's worth if i Listen to music it's 99% using Foobar 2000. Further more Foobar is for free and extremely complete. If i'm correct it is a populair audiophile mediaplayer in a survey here on ASR an by far most used.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audiophile-music-player-for-windows-mac-and-your-opinion.42014/page-4

Archimago made also a informative comparison.

The simplicity regarding Mathaudio is astounding for tech dummies like me
:facepalm:

Besides the Foobar version (used with WASAPI driver) i also use the systemwide version to compensate for gain differences (i noticed that it could damage my speakers if not used ) However the systemwide version or any other mediaplayer is barely used.

Last edited:
Top Bottom