• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Oppo UDP 205 7:1 analog outs

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Your 205 must sound really good paired with that Rotel Michi X3. What loudspeakers are connected to the Rotel?
Focal Kanta 2

Michi is a good amp for the money, neutral sound and lots of power. It replaced a Naim Supernait 2 in my system which sounded sweet but wasn't coping well with the Kanta's almost 2 ohm loads around 100Hz

Last edited:
OP
audiogeek

audiogeek

Does anyone have HDMI Audio Jitter Reduction Circuit beside OPPO?

Thanks for posting this. It is a good read and owning 205 has been very rewarding for me. I do wonder though, if the human ears can hear "significant differences" in audio because of the Audio Jitter Reduction Circuit using the audio only HDMI. I have often pondered what the human ear can actually perceive as "sounding better" with subjects such as this as well as another highly controversial subject - bit rates on Mp3, Wav, FLAK, MQA and so on. There is probably a thread covering this subject somewhere on this site.

scottm_dj

My question is how much will the audio quality improve (vs HDMI) by using the 7:1 outs on the 205?

Little late to the party but I'll offer my two cents if people are still reading :).

If you have a 205 and you can take advantage of the the multi-channel analog output from it,...now that's where you're going to find something special. The right receiving equipment for that output will blow the doors off the HDMI connection. I probably have the best match in history because I have the 205 with analog outputs into the awesome Audio Research 100% analog multi-channel MP1 preamp (with three balanced and unbalanced multi-channel inputs)...and the result is just jaw-dropping amazing. I'm just now changing out the amp into a Cary Cinema 5-ch which will match the preamp gain better than what I had before. I'll find out how that affects the sound this weekend...but it should be very positive. I also went through the hassle of modifying the 205 so it can directly play my disc-ripped image files for both SACD and DVD-Audio... now that's a big deal. Yes....there is a reason Oppo offers all the speaker matching, distance and level corrections on the unit itself on the 205 (and why it's used prices have gone through the roof)... because it's meant to be hooked up through the analog outputs. Otherwise you should just get the much less expensive (especially now) 203.

In terms of my rig, although certainly not the case with source components, I've not changed my speakers in nearly 25 years: custom 3-way cabinet speakers by Innovative audio that have top line Scandinavian Peerless/Seas drivers and a 10" woofer (along with the matching center and a potent sub with two of those same 10" drivers)...coupled with surround sound speakers from Acoustic Research when they used to actually innovate and produced the killer Phantom 8.3 wall speakers.

I'm currently searching for a streamer and possibly DAC upgrade but i have to be very careful not to duplicate what I already have...or bring the sound quality down in the other direction!

Last edited:

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
possibly DAC upgrade
I thought of the same, too but 205's own DAC is still rated among the top here in ASR tests and frankly I don't believe any DAC will audibly beat it (at least within the limits of my system).

scottm_dj

Yeah I know. As I was writing a much bigger comment on the main Oppo 205 (testing) thread, I began to realize when I looked over those numbers that they really are at the top testing here and have not been beaten many times since.

You may be interested in my entire "novel" comment where I go deeper into my system and the streamer question. Here is the full comment :)

I'm not sure what they were thinking about either but I'm sure glad they asd that HDMI because I have a 100% analog system and that HDMI in is the only way to get something digital into it (video game system / Android box with high res audio etc). I'm sure everyone's noticed that players like Magnetar have completely copied the Oppo look, but NO ONE has added that critical (to me) HDMI in feature. Even on their ridiculous expensive 900 model, HDMI IN is nowhere to be found! I still have the 205 from when I picked up a Taiwanese model from a trade show as a last-ditch effort to get it for they were gone for good...and it's amazing that they're still putting the same DAC they put in there 6 years ago in current equipment. As I look for a DAC and streamer I realize that the 205 does 90% of what a streamer will do... except stream Qobuz in the highest resolution.

Besides Roon being an expensive memory hog (as well as now being taken over by a questionably shady conglomerate leaving its future highly in question)... someone rightly pointed out that Oppo left things a little unfinished on the Roon front when they jumped ship. You cannot stream multi-channel audio to the Oppo through their RAAT..or much more concerning it wont stream Native DSD! But I'm wondering just what I need to get to improve the sound of the 205 DAC? I mean that Eversolo DMP-A8 uses the awesome new AKM chipset... but I wouldn't use its i2s output, or it's highly touted analog volume control... and of course it's only two channel. Yes its got a lot a lot of features....but many are superfluous for me.

Like someone else here I have hundreds of ripped SACDs and DVD-Audios from back in the day so I made sure to modify my 205 to play those image files direct from SSD drives (it definitely makes an audio difference!). There's really not much this 205 beast cannot do. Heck even the new Schiit Syn analog surround sound "processor" would work beautifully with the two channel RCA-out of the Oppo into the Syn...and then into a multi-channel preamp--of which I also happen to have the equally coveted (and awesome) Audio Research multi-channel MP1. That ridiculously great sounding beast has three multi-channel analog inputs... so I can hook up virtually anything I want and switch from there.

I'm thinking of getting the base Eversolo A6 model to use as a streamer (and a nice feature NOT on the A8 is it can send multi-channel files including DSD through the HDMI port). I would Oppo-connect it via HDMI or Asynchronous USB because it has a lesser DAC than the Oppo...but a reportedly top-shelf streamer section and companion app. On the other side of things, if I could find a *better* DAC, I could run the digital audio output of the Oppo into that DAC and then into a separate input on my preamp.

Has anyone run the Oppo into an external DAC they recommend? Maybe a ladder/R2R from Denafrips (Ares/Pontus) or even Gustard (R/A26)? I debated pulling the plug on an older Aurender A10 (4 TB local storage & great ASR results), but in the digital world I kind of want to get something a little more modern the A10 is about the same vintage as the Oppo.

What's everyone's current thoughts on this now 6-year-old Oppo wunderkund...that's still at the top of its game?

OP
audiogeek

audiogeek

I like my 205. Ita plays all formats flawlessly and has the dedicated "audio only" HDMI output which I have tried but hear very little if any audible difference (at least to my 60 year old ears). I am one of those "old school people" who like physical media and own well over 700 CDs and another 100 or so SACDs and DVD Audio.

Sure I stream when I am driving my tractor trailer on Spotify via a Soundboks Go speaker with an Qudelix 5k recieving the blue tooth audio from my phone and then hard wired to the Soundboks Go speaker via 3.5mm aux. The audio for me is fine for the atmosphere inside my tractor and I am on the road 11 hours every day so I listen a lot but when I am home my Oppo UDP 205 gets as much use as possible.

As an aside last month I ordered a Sony UBP-X800M2 Region free 4k UHD Blu-ray Player Multi Region (region free). It plays SACDs and DVD Audio and, believe it or not, my 60 year old ears can hear an audible difference between the Oppo UDP 205 and the Sony. All of my discs, regardless of format, sound better on the Oppo UDP 205.

I was thinking that when I finally upgrade from my 6 year old Yamaha RX-A2060 AVR I may get a Marantz SR 8015 with the 7:1 analog in and see if I can hear an audible difference going that route instead of my current HDMI connections. A few members here at ASR (look upthread) have said this is obsolete and the HDMI connects are the way to go as the analog outs would not have any "significant" audible difference and you cannot use DIRAC or or my Yamaha YPAO when using the analog connects.

Still pondering.....:facepalm:

scottm_dj

I am one of those "old school people" who like physical media and own well over 700 CDs and another 100 or so SACDs and DVD Audio.

Welcome to the "in the know" Club :) I took all my original SACD & DVD-Audios and made images out of them. Coupled with all the great redbook upconverts from "Holland" & others, I've built up quite a collection of both. My all-analog system is specifically designed to play those 5-channel recordings...the best of which I still think sound as good as any Atmos version.

I still can't believe they died an early death... at one time @ Best buy they were both priced the same as a CD ($14.99--I remember vividly), and in the case of most SACDs there was even a regular CD layer that could be played!

Descartes

Major Contributor
I am one of those "old school people" who like physical media and own well over 700 CDs and another 100 or so SACDs and DVD Audio.

Welcome to the "in the know" Club :) I took all my original SACD & DVD-Audios and made images out of them. Coupled with all the great redbook upconverts from "Holland" & others, I've built up quite a collection of both. My all-analog system is specifically designed to play those 5-channel recordings...the best of which I still think sound as good as any Atmos version.

I still can't believe they died an early death... at one time @ Best buy they were both priced the same as a CD ($14.99--I remember vividly), and in the case of most SACDs there was even a regular CD layer that could be played!
I own over two hundred multichannel SACDs primarily classical music and a few from major rock bands that released them, glad I had purchased an OPPO BDP-205! Not sure what I am going to do when it doesn’t work anymore!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello all.
I am a new member and I would consider myself a "budget audiophile"

I have had an Oppo player in my system since 2011. I bought the BDP 93 in 2011 and in 2018 I bought a UDP 205. Both players work great using the HDMI out.

My question is how much will the audio quality improve by using the 7:1 outs on the 205?

I have a small 12 x 15 HT/audio room with a 5:2 setup and my current AVR does not have the 7:1 analog inputs so I will need to upgrade (was looking at Maranntz 8015)

From the 205 features section:
OPPO UDP-205 is equipped with two ESS Technology ES9038PRO DACs for both stereo and 7.1 channel analog audio. The ES9038PRO is the flagship of the ESS PRO series. It sets a new benchmark for audio excellence with its best-in-class 140 dB of dynamic range in a 32-bit, 8-channel DAC. The ES9038PRO SABRE DAC features ESS’ patented 32-bit HyperStreamDAC technology, which is responsible for the outstanding clarity and sound stage.

Individual analog 7.1-channel surround outputs are ideal for connecting to a 7.1-channel or 5.1-channel surround sound system. The UDP-205 delivers an incredible sound stage and an immersive surround experience thanks to its second ES9038PRO DAC chip. The 7.1-channel analog output can also be configured to a stereo down-mix mode as a Zone 2 audio source.

If anyone here has a Marantz and is using its 7:1 inputs with an Oppo player what are your thoughts? Once the Oppo is connected this way does the Oppo's DACs perform as Oppo has stated?
Don't have your use conditions and only a 203 owned. However, listening for slight dac spec advantages is kinda nuts. I just use hdmi and am done with it....YMMV.

scottm_dj

Rip them while you can.

That's exactly what I've done--as SACD and DVD-Audio ISO. Unfortunately overrated and overpriced software like Roon doesn't read them...but J River and Audi do (SACD) but neither of them stream Qobuz like I want. I'm about to pick up a Raspberry Pi streaming DAC and I believe there's a way to get PiCorePlayer to stream native Qobuz. I know I would hook in the Pi through the optical out of the 205... so I would use the Oppo for multi-channel but the more modern hi-end AKM DAC in the Raspberry Pi for anything else Qobuz/internet radio/DSD 2-channel)

I'm completely new in the world of Raspberry Pi to say the least--so wish me luck!

Top Bottom