• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinions on Focal 1000Be In-Wall Published Measurements

ngiac

Forum Donor
Morning All -

Need to make a decision on in-walls for my 7.2.4 theater in the next 2 weeks. I'm leaning toward the Focal 1000Be series (7x IWLCR6, 4x ICA6) which at discount pricing seem to be an okay value (for in walls...ugh).

Focal does publish a few measurements, but I'm not terribly experienced in interpreting these. Would anyone here be willing to take a quick glance and let me know if there's anything good/bad/indifferent to be gained from these measurements?

Sadly, the new Perlisten in walls are priced too high, so that option is out. Revel W893's are an option too, but...I just have some psychological issue with the less than steller build quality and parts selection on those in-walls. Open to other suggestions if anyone else has charted down a similar path before.

IWLCR6 (NOT the IWLCR Utopia which is the WWMTMWW referenced below)
https://www.focal.com/us/custom-commercial-integration/1000-series/1000-iwlcr6

integration_iwlcr6_1000_1_586x586.jpg

IWLCR6 Measurements.PNG

ICA6 (would be adding back boxes)
https://www.focal.com/us/custom-commercial-integration/1000-series/1000-ica6
integration_ica6_1000_586x586.jpg

ICA6 Measurements.PNG

Last edited:
OP
N

ngiac

Forum Donor
PDF specs for the two Focals...

Attachments

• fp_1000_iwlcr6_en_0 (1).pdf
    953.1 KB · Views: 76
  • fp_1000_ica6_en_0.pdf
    966.1 KB · Views: 67

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another MTM and hence bound to fail as a centre channel speaker. Are there any other data other than the PDFs you posted.

OP
N

ngiac

Forum Donor
Two things on the MTM comment.

1) For my application, it's 3 vertical speakers behind an AT screen. Nothing horizontal.
2) The top woofer is a PR, so wouldn't this behave more like a 3 way T-M-W?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Two things on the MTM comment.

1) For my application, it's 3 vertical speakers behind an AT screen. Nothing horizontal.
Why would you need a narrow speaker then?
2) The top woofer is a PR, so wouldn't this behave more like a 3 way T-M-W?
This the speaker. There are two drivers on top and bottom of the tweeter. Hence the MTM definition. To be pedantic it is WWMTMWW.

integration_iwlcr_1000_utopia_face_586x586.jpg

OP
N

ngiac

Forum Donor
Why would you need a narrow speaker then?

This the speaker. There are two drivers on top and bottom of the tweeter. Hence the MTM definition. To be pedantic it is WWMTMWW.

integration_iwlcr_1000_utopia_face_586x586.jpg

This is true, however that's not the speaker in question ;) I'm talking about the IWLCR6.

OP
N

ngiac

Forum Donor
This is true, however that's not the speaker in question ;) I'm talking about the IWLCR6.

Regarding needing a shallow speaker. My understanding is that properly engineering a baffle wall with acoustically advantageous results using traditional towers designed with BSC is not an easy feat unless done by a professional. Trying to keep it simpler by using a traditional in wall speaker (like many in my shoes). Sadly, these dedicated theater projects are big money and measurements for in walls are hard to come by (and design measurements for as mentioned by Amir in his Monoprice 365 review). Hence, thought I'd poll the ASR crowd on what little we know about these in walls, which arguably is more than many with the additional of directivity measurements? (or maybe I'm wrong)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

That is 3-way and as it is rotating mid-tweeter assembly, perfectly suitable for a centre speaker.

I find it strange that even though Focal is obviously aware of the MTM (d’Appolito) design limitations, they do not offer it for their top of the range model.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding needing a shallow speaker. My understanding is that properly engineering a baffle wall with acoustically advantageous results using traditional towers designed with BSC is not an easy feat unless done by a professional. Trying to keep it simpler by using a traditional in wall speaker (like many in my shoes). Sadly, these dedicated theater projects are big money and measurements for in walls are hard to come by (and design measurements for as mentioned by Amir in his Monoprice 365 review). Hence, thought I'd poll the ASR crowd on what little we know about these in walls, which arguably is more than many with the additional of directivity measurements? (or maybe I'm wrong)
JBL has various shallow, self enclosed speakers. They are not very expensive. Check them.

Also check KEF. I have now switched to their in-walls and with co-axial drivers they are fantastic.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
N

ngiac

Forum Donor
That is 3-way and as it is rotating mid-tweeter assembly, perfectly suitable for a centre speaker.

I find it strange that even though Focal is obviously aware of the MTM (d’Appolito) design limitations, they do not offer it for their top of the range model.

That Utopia MTM you posted msrps for $7,600 each! Crazyness.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That Utopia MTM you posted msrps for $7,600 each! Crazyness.
I’ve completely lost track. Do you mind mentioning model numbers on your posts and preferable add images?

nerdoldnerdith

I have heard the 1000 series at someone else's theater and own the 300ICW4 and use it as a VOG in my own theater. I use Dome Flax's as heights in my theater, which appear to be very similar to the 300ICW4.

The Flax's and 300ICW4 sound very good - neutral, not bright or harsh, no resonances, and wide dispersion. They make great speakers as heights and blend in very well with my Revels for the mains.

The 1000 series I heard at the other theater also sounded good. They needed to be crossed over at 120Hz to be able to keep up with dynamic content in movies, but other than that they also sounded neutral and needed no EQ above 300Hz. They were not harsh and could be played very loud without causing ear strain. They were all arranged vertically behind an acoustically transparent screen, so I can't comment on how one would perform as a horizontal center. Were they as good as Focal's floorstanding beryllium speakers like the Sopra or Stella Utopia? No, but in-wall speakers have their limitations when it comes to imaging.

It would be a good idea to compare the Focal 1000 series in-wall speakers to KEF's in-wall speakers, which appear to be formidable speakers. Martin Logan also makes some impressive looking architectural speakers.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
done, updated original post
I said IWLCR6 with rotating MT assembly is the only one that suitable for centre channel. Is that expensive?

IWLCR Utopia is not suitable for centre channel as it is MTM.

OP
N

ngiac

Forum Donor
I have heard the 1000 series at someone else's theater and own the 300ICW4 and use it as a VOG in my own theater. I use Dome Flax's as heights in my theater, which appear to be very similar to the 300ICW4.

The Flax's and 300ICW4 sound very good - neutral, not bright or harsh, no resonances, and wide dispersion. They make great speakers as heights and blend in very well with my Revels for the mains.

The 1000 series I heard at the other theater also sounded good. They needed to be crossed over at 120Hz to be able to keep up with dynamic content in movies, but other than that they also sounded neutral and needed no EQ above 300Hz. They were not harsh and could be played very loud without causing ear strain. They were all arranged vertically behind an acoustically transparent screen, so I can't comment on how one would perform as a horizontal center. Were they as good as Focal's floorstanding beryllium speakers like the Sopra or Stella Utopia? No, but in-wall speakers have their limitations when it comes to imaging.

It would be a good idea to compare the Focal 1000 series in-wall speakers to KEF's in-wall speakers, which appear to be formidable speakers. Martin Logan also makes some impressive looking architectural speakers.

Thanks for the first hand readout. I too would be using them as three vertical speakers behind a AT screen. Never expected them to be spl monsters, but hopefully should be able to keep pace with our modest SPL requirements.

KEF's have never sounded great to me in any products I've heard other than reference line -- they always seemed bright akin to a paradigm sound. At heart I'm a Revel guy when it comes to sound signatures, but I'm not impressed with their in-walls (W893, W990) I know ML has some ribbon based line array in walls, not sure on price or relative performance though. That's not a brand I've spent much time with in my audiophile lifetime. Thanks for the suggestions!

Other brands that looks like they have solid in walls are Dali Phantom series, MAYBE some of the monitor audio stuff like the 460X. Dali's are hard to get good pricing on inching them toward being the same price as perlisten's new in walls which...I'd probably take a flyer on Perlisten any day over the Dali's if my budget were to extend up to 2.4K/speaker.

I said IWLCR6 with rotating MT assembly is the only one that suitable for centre channel. Is that expensive?

IWLCR Utopia is not suitable for centre channel as it is MTM.

The IWLCR Utopia (WWMTMWW) is the $$$ one. The IWLCR6 I'm considering can be purchased for around $1700/ea.

Top Bottom