• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onken design

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am having trouble understanding Onken bass cabinet design…can anyone point me to articles or maybe tools that relate optimum cabinet size and port count/ dimensions etc to driver characteristics?

I did find one online calculator, but it doesn’t reveal the underlying equations or theory.

What it does do is predict this particular driver (designed for open baffle) is on the edge of acceptability for such an enclosure and I am trying to understand essentially why that is true.

0A88F751-5CC9-4CD5-87E8-36B05ADCE0DE.png

OP
Plcamp

Plcamp

BR52

Onken design seems to me like a bass reflex box with 4 ports around the speaker. Try a calculation with your SW and a today's standard SW for bass reflex.

I could read this in some dy forums, don't remember the sources

OP
Plcamp

Plcamp

It resembles bass reflex, but also transmission line. I read that it can become aperiodic if damped.

I was hoping someone had figured out the math for it and published that. (I even found an online calculator…with no explanation of the math.)

BR52

Top Bottom