• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Old vinyl lover looking to get into the digital age

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
wonder if there's different versions of them, mine have been flawless for a few years now with daily use (as other's have experienced, hence them going up in price when discontinued) - odd.
I think it's something with the Spotify service. There is a long history of problems between Spotify and Chromecast. It's not the individual CCA units; when multiple units are playing in sync, the dropouts happen on all of them at the same time. The firmware is up to date.

OP
B

bassboy

another option in case you haven't pulled the trigger, see if you can find a second hand "google audio", you just power in, optical out or rca out depending on cable, connect it to your wifi, then cast from any digital source, it works seamlessly, I've got the whole fancy dac / streamer setups but still have 3x google audio's wired in and they're just faultless up to 24/96, which is what most lossless are giving.
Thanks Sonder. The huge elephant in my living room is the lack of a smart tv. HDMI's only. I am considering using my second system in our master bedroom. Sony 55X950G, Denon AVR-2600H with high power section to drive my 4ohm Martin Logan Slims W/ matching center, and SVS PB1000 10" 400 Watt sub. My wife just suggested possibly using an app already built in to the TV. Any thoughts on that.

OP
B

bassboy

I presume your integrated amp and speakers are in a different room than the Denon, and that there is no TV in the room with the integrated amp?

If there is a tv, then I would advise a simple DAC between the tv optical out and your rca in, plus a “google chromecast with tv” (a dongle on your tv hdmi input). That gives you great quality sound, plus access to all major streaming apps with both audio and video (such as YouTube). It is controllable either from any cellphone or using the included remote control.
Thanks Sonder. The huge elephant in my living room is the lack of a smart tv. HDMI's only. I am considering using my second system in our master bedroom. Sony 55X950G, Denon AVR-2600H with high power section to drive my 4ohm Martin Logan Slims W/ matching center, and SVS PB1000 10" 400 Watt sub. My wife just suggested possibly using an app already built in to the TV. Any thoughts on that.
I forgot to mention that the ML Slims and center are passive, if that matters.

sonder

huge elephant in my living room is the lack of a smart tv
Two distinct issues:

chromecast audio, is audio only, RCA or optical out, straight in to your amp

chromecast with Google TV, is a small device with a remote, and HDMI out, that you plug in to your TV, to make it a smart TV

both simple effective tools that work at any level (in my experience)

what country are you in? if UK I have a spare Chromecast Ultra (previous generation device) I'd be happy to gift you, works great, 1080p or 4k

nb, the new generation with remote is easier to use, since it has a remote, and you don't need to cast things to it

for audio though, any little streamer will work, the learning curve is likely in the apps to stream to it or control it

Plcamp

I use Sony smart tv (android tv) to DAC to power amp to speakers. Simple and effective.

OP
B

bassboy

Two distinct issues:

chromecast with Google TV, is a small device with a remote, and HDMI out, that you plug in to your TV, to make it a smart TV

what country are you in? if UK I have a spare Chromecast Ultra (previous generation device) I'd be happy to gift you, works great, 1080p or 4k

nb, the new generation with remote is easier to use, since it has a remote, and you don't need to cast things to it

for audio though, any little streamer will work, the learning curve is likely in the apps to stream to it or control it
I am in the US, so the cost would probably be prohibitive.

OP
B

bassboy

Two distinct issues:

Once again, I'm a bit confused. Can I use the Chromecast with Google into my RCA only tube integrated, or listen only through the TV? That would kinda' defeat the purpose that I'm after.

OP
B

bassboy

Once again, I'm a bit confused. Can I use the Chromecast with Google into my RCA only tube integrated, or listen only through the TV? That would kinda' defeat the purpose that I'm after.
Also, a remote is essential. Otherwise I may as well get up and down endlessly to use my turntable.

Plcamp

The Chromecast with tv is an hdmi device that plugs into tv and costs about $50 and provides a remote. It converts your dumb tv to a smart tv, allowing you to use Spotify or YouTube etc.

The tv would connect to a new DAC via optical cable. A DAC would be about $100.

The DAC connects to an unused RCA input of your integrated amp, which controls volume.

So in this case, you could remote control all selections on the tv but volume would be the receiver.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The way I first started streaming audio was using a BluDento Bluetooth receiver. It allowed me to stream audio from my iPhone and connect it to my stereo using RCA cables. There are other (maybe cheaper) alternatives, but the BluDento was solid in performance. I did have to use it with a phone charger that was not included.

Now, I have a DAC than has both Bluetooth and USB inputs with a dedicated Mac Mini.

Amazon link:
https://a.co/d/3ivKUMb

OP
B

bassboy

The Chromecast with tv is an hdmi device that plugs into tv and costs about $50 and provides a remote. It converts your dumb tv to a smart tv, allowing you to use Spotify or YouTube etc.

The tv would connect to a new DAC via optical cable. A DAC would be about $100.

The DAC connects to an unused RCA input of your integrated amp, which controls volume.

So in this case, you could remote control all selections on the tv but volume would be the receiver.
There is no optical out on my tv that I can find.

sonder

@bassboy can you clarify a little detail, have you tried any of the streaming services which will be your digital source yet, tidal, qobuz, spotify, amazon music or suchlike, (roon?)

If not, a large part of the learning curve will be in trying them and seeing which one(s) fit for you, then finding devices which support them, a large part of the experience is in managing your library and easy of use of the apps or interfaces.

All of which you can do before you link them up to your end systems.

OP
B

bassboy

The way I first started streaming audio was using a BluDento Bluetooth receiver. It allowed me to stream audio from my iPhone and connect it to my stereo using RCA cables. There are other (maybe cheaper) alternatives, but the BluDento was solid in performance. I did have to use it with a phone charger that was not included.

Now, I have a DAC than has both Bluetooth and USB inputs with a dedicated Mac Mini.

Amazon link:
https://a.co/d/3ivKUMb
Using the BluDento, can I use an iPad vs. iPhone?

OP
B

bassboy

@bassboy can you clarify a little detail, have you tried any of the streaming services which will be your digital source yet, tidal, qobuz, spotify, amazon music or suchlike, (roon?)

If not, a large part of the learning curve will be in trying them and seeing which one(s) fit for you, then finding devices which support them, a large part of the experience is in managing your library and easy of use of the apps or interfaces.

All of which you can do before you link them up to your end systems.
I have not tried any streaming services yet, because I first need to figure out how to configure my main system which I have described above. It's sounding like the BluDento is a possibility because of the RCA outs. I must be able to use my RCA only tube integrated.

sonder

I have not tried any streaming services yet, because I first need to figure out how to configure my main system which I have described above. It's sounding like the BluDento is a possibility because of the RCA outs. I must be able to use my RCA only tube integrated.
That's what I'm trying to say, the services all have apps which you run on phone or pc or tablet, and you can use them there, with audio out of that device, to see which fits.

Many streaming devices only support specific services, and if you approach this the other way around, well you simply won't know what you require or know what you're getting, for example a streamer which supports Spotify Vs Spotify Connect, is quite different, and if that's the service you use, you'd be good to know in advance.

A simple approach could be to get a small cheap smart speaker, and get used to the apps / services with free trials, get used to streaming to devices etc, before budgeting up and going through your full nice setup

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Using the BluDento, can I use an iPad vs. iPhone?
Yes, you can use an iPad, iPhone or any streaming source that can connect via Bluetooth.

To stream from an iPad or iPhone, you simply need to select "BLT-HD" in the Bluetooth device menu. The quality of the internal DAC is good enough that I cannot tell the difference when I switch to more expensive DACs.

I don't use Bluetooth that much anymore, but I do use it to preview albums on YouTube that I may want to buy on vinyl. I also occasionally use it when I'm feeling too lazy to fire up streaming from the Mac Mini and just want background music. Before I got the Mac, I had an older iPhone that I used exclusively to stream music to the BluDento. Now I use the Mac for streaming and ripping CDs.

Last edited:
OP
B

bassboy

That's what I'm trying to say, the services all have apps which you run on phone or pc or tablet, and you can use them there, with audio out of that device, to see which fits.

Many streaming devices only support specific services, and if you approach this the other way around, well you simply won't know what you require or know what you're getting, for example a streamer which supports Spotify Vs Spotify Connect, is quite different, and if that's the service you use, you'd be good to know in advance.

A simple approach could be to get a small cheap smart speaker, and get used to the apps / services with free trials, get used to streaming to devices etc, before budgeting up and going through your full nice setup
I don't have the money for a smart speaker. I am on a fixed income, so every penny is accounted for. At this point I'm not even sure we can afford 10.00 or 11.00 dollars month for a service. That's why I have to keep my expenditures to a minimum. I really want to do this, and I think with the kind help of folks like you, I can pull it off. The BluDento may be what I'm looking for. Have you had any experience with it?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have the money for a smart speaker. I am on a fixed income, so every penny is accounted for. At this point I'm not even sure we can afford 10.00 or 11.00 dollars month for a service. That's why I have to keep my expenditures to a minimum. I really want to do this, and I think with the kind help of folks like you, I can pull it off. The BluDento may be what I'm looking for. Have you had any experience with it?
You can also buy a BluDento for less via eBay directly from the manufacturer. Just make sure to get the "BLT-HD" version as it has better Bluetooth reception than the older model.

You can also stream Internet radio stations for free, especially NPR. I can stream my local NPR jazz station from an iPhone for free (but I still always make an annual donation).

Zapper

The WiiM Mini and the Chromecast Audio, both previously discussed, have RCA outs that can be used with your tube preamp. Both can be controlled by an app on an Apple or Android devices. Both can be used with the major streaming services. What more are you looking for?

The Chromecast Audio was discontinued several years ago so the only ones available are used or new-old-stock.

OP
B

bassboy

I forgot to mention that we have a ROKU with Spotify built-in. It works with HDMI.

Top Bottom