• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Old vinyl lover looking to get into the digital age

bassboy

68 year-old guy looking for a budget minded way to get a DAC/Streamer/PS under $200.00. I don't even own a smart phone. Any suggestions?

mkt

Good for you! Do you have any potential digital sources already? Laptop computer? ipad?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In addition to possible sources mentioned by @mkt Do you own any gear from your vinyl days? Amp? Speakers?

If don't have anything at all, you are going to struggle to get something decent for $200

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
PS is powered speakers? Like the others asked otherwise, any existing gear to work with?

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Put most of your money into a pair of powered speakers with Bluetooth. Like the Edifier R1700bt. Plug it into the headphone jack of a laptop, tablet, or phone that can stream music from the internet (or connect wirelessly with Bluetooth). Download the Spotify app and open a free account. Jam on. Forget about the DAC.

Eulipian

The SMSL C200 has very good test data on ASR and meets your budget for DAC/amp/headphone device, assuming you have speakers and headphones it's a good start for $180.

OP
B

bassboy

In addition to possible sources mentioned by @mkt Do you own any gear from your vinyl days? Amp? Speakers?

If don't have anything at all, you are going to struggle to get something decent for $200
I have a 2000 top of the line (2200.00) Denon 5.1, 125RMS, Yaqin MC10L el34 based integrated with NOS winged C's which I would prefer to use. I also own a pair of rare and mostly unheard of Harmon Kardon Sixty's (simply wonderful) with Morel bass, mid, and tweeter drivers and a sensitivity of 105db, + or - 6db @ 21hz. Of course a ClearAudio table with ClearAudio AurumBeta S cartridge and Lounge pure silver phono pre.

OP
B

bassboy

I don't own powered speakers and would rather not purchase a pair.

mkt

OP
B

bassboy

Thanks for the help, but I would prefer to use my main system which I have described, if possible.

Apesbrain

WiiM Mini is $84 on Amazon (with online coupon) and includes everything you need to connect to AUX input on your stereo:

Use your wife's iPad to run the WiiM app where you can tune in internet radio and online music services. Sign up for a free two-month subscription to Spotify Premium to see if that floats your boat.

EDIT: As said below, if you already subscribe to Amazon Prime you can use their free online music service.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have internet then $150 WiiM Pro or $80 WiiM Mini streamer plugged into the AVR (both have WiFi but Pro lets you use Ethernet cable, best) and Qobuz or Amazon Prime Music and your old phone or tablet. Good to go.

OP
B

bassboy

WiiM Mini is $84 on Amazon (with online coupon) and includes everything you need to connect to AUX input on your stereo:

Use your wife's iPad to run the WiiM app where you can tune in internet radio and online music services. Sign up for a free two-month subscription to Spotify Premium to see if that floats your boat.

EDIT: As said below, if you already subscribe to Amazon Prime you can use their free music service.

OP
B

bassboy

Really poor reviews. Isn't there a DAC w/built in streamer and PS?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
B

bassboy

I have wifi throughout the house. Receiver has only digital out or RCA's. Can I use my tube integrated with RCA's only?

Apesbrain

Really poor reviews. Isn't there a DAC w/built in streamer and PS?
Nonsense, and besides it's $84!

There is no better "DAC w/built in streamer and PS" under $200. The next step up is a Bluesound Node at $600.

Can I use my tube integrated with RCA's only?
Yes.

Zapper

I have a 2000 top of the line (2200.00) Denon 5.1, 125RMS, Yaqin MC10L el34 based integrated with NOS winged C's which I would prefer to use. I also own a pair of rare and mostly unheard of Harmon Kardon Sixty's (simply wonderful) with Morel bass, mid, and tweeter drivers and a sensitivity of 105db, + or - 6db @ 21hz. Of course a ClearAudio table with ClearAudio AurumBeta S cartridge and Lounge pure silver phono pre.
Could you please be more specific from the start? You had a bunch of people trying to help you based on a sketchy and misleading question. I was trying to help some poor old guy who had no phone and no money get into streaming. Doh!

If you said all this in the question it would have saved all of us some time.

And what do you mean by PS? Not "powered speakers" apparently. "Power supply"?

Top Bottom