• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Old vinyl lover looking to get into the digital age

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My Denon is an AVR4800.
Yup, here they are:

E1SqaRQ.jpg

If you think that you'd prefer to use the WiiM with your Yaqin, consider the WiiM Pro. For a few extra bucks, hopefully you'll get a better internal DAC.

P.S. Another option rarely remembered is the Amazon Echo Link.

Zapper

"In addition to the SHARC DSP units, the AVR-4800's digital interface receiver accepts PCM digital audio of up to 24-bit word lengths and 96kHz sampling frequency"

The DACs are Analog Devices, unknown part no.

Wait, here it is:
"It employs dual Analog Devices SHARC 32-bit floating-point DSP processors and eight channels of Analog Devices AD-1855 24-bit/96-kilohertz integrated filter/digital-to-analog chips"

OP
B

bassboy

Not to dwell, but I really want to use my tube integrated with RCA's. That's where my quite large speakers live. I have a smart phone or tablet to control the app.

Zapper

Not to dwell, but I really want to use my tube integrated with RCA's. That's where my quite large speakers live. I have a smart phone or tablet to control the app.
No problem. You can do that too.

OP
B

bassboy

Dude, your are amazing.

OP
B

bassboy

One last item. Can you please list any and all cables etc. that I will need with the Wiim. I'd like to make a one time purchase of everything. I think I can swing the pro, but I'm a bit confused again. You mention getting a better DAC. I'm assuming you mean from the regular wiim. My ears are old and pretty worn out from playing rock music for 40+ years. There's nothing there above about 8.5khz. Do you really think I'll hear a difference?

OP
B

bassboy

One last item. Can you please list any and all cables etc. that I will need with the Wiim. I'd like to make a one time purchase of everything. I think I can swing the pro, but I'm a bit confused again. You mention getting a better DAC. I'm assuming you mean from the regular wiim. My ears are old and pretty worn out from playing rock music for 40+ years. There's nothing there above about 8.5khz. Do you really think I'll hear a difference?
And the specs. shown for the Denon reminded me that it's a 7.1, for what it's worth.

OP
B

bassboy

The WiiM's DAC isn't impressive by today's technical standards, but those standards far exceeded most of our hearing a long time ago. It's fine by any reasonable standard. And what is the S/N of your tube preamp? Worse than the WiiM probably.

Spend $84 and try it out! If you don't find the DAC good enough you can use the bit-perfect optical output into the DAC of your choice later.

FWIW I am using 3 WiiM minis, two with optical out and one with analog out. Personally I can't tell the difference
I'm afraid I don't have the S/N spec. Zapper.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, you won't. No external dac needed.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Zapper

No extra cables needed, at least not as sold in the US. It has small USB supply, USB-C power cable, 3.5mm to 3.5mm and 3.5mm to RCA analog, and TOSLINK optical digital audio.

OP
B

bassboy

At 4.5 stars average and 1500 ratings, I can tell you from years of experience as a seller on Amazon that yes, they could all be wrong. :D
Kemmler3D, I cannot express my gratitude for all of your help, and patience dealing with an old newbie such as myself. I'll be sure to let you know how it went. How do I find you when the time comes?

sonder

another option in case you haven't pulled the trigger, see if you can find a second hand "google audio", you just power in, optical out or rca out depending on cable, connect it to your wifi, then cast from any digital source, it works seamlessly, I've got the whole fancy dac / streamer setups but still have 3x google audio's wired in and they're just faultless up to 24/96, which is what most lossless are giving.

Zapper

another option in case you haven't pulled the trigger, see if you can find a second hand "google audio", you just power in, optical out or rca out depending on cable, connect it to your wifi, then cast from any digital source, it works seamlessly, I've got the whole fancy dac / streamer setups but still have 3x google audio's wired in and they're just faultless up to 24/96, which is what most lossless are giving.
I recently replaced my Chromecast Audios with WiiM Minis because of sporadic but persistent dropouts of Spotify over Chromecast. I couldn't figure out the problem - there are many links where it could go wrong - but Spotify played without issue on several other types of devices. Wherever the problem occurred it was specific to the Chromecast Audios.

So I couldn't recommend the Chromecast Audios, at least if one wants to stream Spotify. On the other hand I have 3 CCA devices available ;-)

sonder

It'll be spotify or your wireless, my kids sometimes get drop outs with spotify.

Perhaps worth some notes here (generally, not targeted at you):
  • CCA can have an ethernet adaptor (works well)
  • A home mesh network can solve issues, the old google wifi ones are usually on offer for way cheaper than newer nest ones or alternatives and solve this issue for all devices - I have 5 + 3 nest wifi, highly recommend.
  • Spotify is lossy 320kbps, swap to tidal you'll notice a difference swap to a source like qobuz via roon and it's night and day - roon+speakers are arguably the biggest audio difference you can make for digital.
I have 3 CCA devices available
Great deal, they usually flip for 3-4x original retail price now, hard to come by as you can get 24/96 lossless flac out the things and they're tiny.

Plcamp

I presume your integrated amp and speakers are in a different room than the Denon, and that there is no TV in the room with the integrated amp?

If there is a tv, then I would advise a simple DAC between the tv optical out and your rca in, plus a “google chromecast with tv” (a dongle on your tv hdmi input). That gives you great quality sound, plus access to all major streaming apps with both audio and video (such as YouTube). It is controllable either from any cellphone or using the included remote control.

Zapper

It'll be spotify or your wireless, my kids sometimes get drop outs with spotify.
Spotify streamed fine on two phones, a Yamaha soundbar with Spotify Connect, and a couple of Rokus, all on the same wifi. The WiiMs have been flawless. Basic diagnostics of wifi and ISP are healthy. So whatever the problem it's specific to the CCAs.
Perhaps worth some notes here (generally, not targeted at you):
  • CCA can have an ethernet adaptor (works well)
No thanks! The relative lack of wires is a key benefit of these mini streamers.
  • A home mesh network can solve issues, the old google wifi ones are usually on offer for way cheaper than newer nest ones or alternatives and solve this issue for all devices - I have 5 + 3 nest wifi, highly recommend.
One CCA was 6 feet from the router and it dropped out the same as the others. Besides, this dropout problem started in February and my network hardware has been the same for several years.
  • Spotify is lossy 320kbps, swap to tidal you'll notice a difference swap to a source like qobuz via roon and it's night and day - roon+speakers are arguably the biggest audio difference you can make for digital.
I'm skeptical. The reviews of blind testing suggest that very few people can detect the difference between 320kbs and full Redbook, and even fewer can distinguish between Redbook and high-rez. Maybe you are one of the few but I'm not. My own ABX test indicates I can't distinguish either case. So I see no reason to be dissatisfied with Spotify just to get more bits than I can hear.
Great deal, they usually flip for 3-4x original retail price now, hard to come by as you can get 24/96 lossless flac out the things and they're tiny.
I'll put them up for sale when I get some free time.

sonder

One CCA was 6 feet from the router and it dropped out the same as the others. Besides, this dropout problem started in February and my network hardware has been the same for several years.
wonder if there's different versions of them, mine have been flawless for a few years now with daily use (as other's have experienced, hence them going up in price when discontinued) - odd.

Top Bottom