• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Old vinyl lover looking to get into the digital age

OP
B

bassboy

Well then, that sounds fantastic. I'm going to take your advice and give it a whirl!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Really poor reviews. Isn't there a DAC w/built in streamer and PS?
The wiim is it - at least in your price range. Ignore the amazon reviews, it really is very good, and with an active development team engaing with users. Have a look through this thread, and ask any specific questions about it there:

If it has features you need, also consider the wiim pro:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-pro-streamer.39576/

OP
B

bassboy

Wait. How does it connect to my integrated tube amp? Yes, PS means power supply.

OP
B

bassboy

WiiM Mini is $84 on Amazon (with online coupon) and includes everything you need to connect to AUX input on your stereo:

Use your wife's iPad to run the WiiM app where you can tune in internet radio and online music services. Sign up for a free two-month subscription to Spotify Premium to see if that floats your boat.

EDIT: As said below, if you already subscribe to Amazon Prime you can use their free online music service.
Thanks Apesbrain, we do have Amazon Prime.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait. How does it connect to my integrated tube amp? Yes, PS means power supply.
It has 3.5mm stereo jack. Use 3.5mm to rca cable (i assume your amp has rca in)

OP
B

bassboy

Could you please be more specific from the start? You had a bunch of people trying to help you based on a sketchy and misleading question. I was trying to help some poor old guy who had no phone and no money get into streaming. Doh!

If you said all this in the question it would have saved all of us some time.

And what do you mean by PS? Not "powered speakers" apparently. "Power supply"?
Poor old guy is kind of harsh, don't you think?

OP
B

bassboy

I sincerely doubt that the Denon has an internal DAC. Awful phono stage, yes.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just looked on amazon and read the 1 star reviews. Could they all be wrong? sorry I'm so uneducated on this stuff.
Yes but its free if you have Prime. Qobuz $10/mo yearly CD quality or High Resolution very good can't tell difference from CD player

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning

The WiiM's DAC isn't impressive by today's technical standards, but those standards far exceeded most of our hearing a long time ago. It's fine by any reasonable standard. And what is the S/N of your tube preamp? Worse than the WiiM probably.

Spend $84 and try it out! If you don't find the DAC good enough you can use the bit-perfect optical output into the DAC of your choice later.

FWIW I am using 3 WiiM minis, two with optical out and one with analog out. Personally I can't tell the difference

OP
B

bassboy

The WiiM's DAC isn't impressive by today's technical standards, but those standards far exceeded most of our hearing a long time ago. It's fine by any reasonable standard. And what is the S/N of your tube preamp? Worse than the WiiM probably.

Spend $84 and try it out! If you don't find the DAC good enough you can use the bit-perfect optical output into the DAC of your choice later.

FWIW I am using 3 WiiM minis, two with optical out and one with analog out. Personally I can't tell the difference

Zapper

Poor old guy is kind of harsh, don't you think?
That was just my imagination trying to fill in the blanks. I was feeling sorry for someone with no hifi, no phone, and only 200 euros to spend ;-)

FWIW I'm an old guy too.

OP
B

bassboy

Deepest thanks to everyone.

Peace and God Bless

OP
B

bassboy

No need to feel sorry for me. I have a beautiful home, loving wife of 39 years, 2 dogs, 2 autos, excellent hi-fi system (to me anyway), and money in the bank. I just don't want to invest heavily until I know that it's right for me.

Zapper

Your receiver has lots of stuff, including network capabilities. It has optical in which means it has a DAC. Specs here.

It has some streaming capabilities already but I'm not familiar with Denon AVRs.

Zapper

No need to feel sorry for me. I have a beautiful home, loving wife of 39 years, 2 dogs, 2 autos, excellent hi-fi system (to me anyway), and money in the bank. I just don't want to invest heavily until I know that it's right for me.
Got it. Thanks for clarifying!

Zapper

My Denon is an AVR4800. Still the same?
Still has optical input. 5 of them.

If you're using this AVR you're already using the DAC, unless it has an analog-passthrough mode. So all you do is plug the WIM into one of those using the included TOSLINK cable.

The WiiM does depend on a Apple or Android app to control it, so you need some sort of smartphone or tablet.

Top Bottom