• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Official KEF Ci5160REF -THX spinorama

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@sarumbear, would love to see some pictures of these new speakers before you install and after. Assuming you plan to take measurements of the FR. Will you have a before and after FR chart to share as well? I am personally very interested in your current setup as compared to the new Kef’s. What your doing is very exciting since you already had epic kit installed already. I imagine you feel like a kid in a Candy store!!! Good luck Sir.
I’m afraid I’m not allowed to post any pictures from the house. My partner had suffered a terrible experience in the past and we have committed that we will never post pictures of our house no matter how small an area it shows. I hope you understand and respect that.

I will post FR charts when the room ready. A lot is happening in the room and I started thinking I was mad to change the wall :)

Thank you very much for your nice words.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Loving this. The design concpt and use.

What are you driving the speakers with?
Please read my signature. There’s a full equipment list with links to manufacturers.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am considering creating a new thread to explain my set-up but before then do please ask any questions you may have.

Last edited:

nerdoldnerdith

The bass response is to die for! :)

My partner was a big time London house DJ, so we do club emulation in that room pretty often. There are not many clubs in London or Chicago that are better than our living room.
My living room is one of them lol

How do you like the sound of the KEF's vs. your Revel Salon2's?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My living room is one of them lol

How do you like the sound of the KEF's vs. your Revel Salon2's?
Revels are stand alone in a smaller room, whereas KEFs are in-wall in a much larger room and works along subwoofers. It’s not a straightforward comparison one can make due to those major differences. Needless to say within each environment both produce the best sound I heard.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The room is ready. It sounds and measures pretty good. Charts to follow.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What subwoofers you are using?
Listed on my signature

Edit: Been told that signatures are not visible on mobiles. A copy of my signature is below.

Music Room: Stereo setup with Apple iPad; Benchmark DAC3 HGC & 2x AHB2 each in bridge mode, 2x Revel Salon2
TV Room: 7.3.6 setup with Sky Q, Apple TV; AVP: Trinnov Altitude 16; Amps: JBL Synthesis 2x SDA 8300, 1x SDA-4600; LCR: 3x KEF Ci5160REF-THX; Subs: JBL Synthesis 2x SSW-3, 1x SSW-2 (LFE); Surrounds: 4x JBL CBT70J-1; Heights & Overheads: 6x KEF Ci200RS-THX
Desktop: Apple HomePod mini

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect most people see your posts like this.
FE2CB0AE-27E1-4854-A5CD-F7AD1B47A44A.jpeg

At least I do.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is how I see it, logged in or not, using Chrome and edge, on the desktop. However, I just checked on iPhone and indeed the signature is not visible on Mobile Safari. Thank you for pointing that out.

@amirm is that intentional for signatures to be hidden on mobiles?

1655739785250.png

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

hansik

Excellent setup. I wonder how you experience the sound quality difference between the JBL LCR´s and the KEF´s. I suppose the Kef´s a bit a bit more refined though dynamics... not sure. Especially against a horn.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent setup. I wonder how you experience the sound quality difference between the JBL LCR´s and the KEF´s. I suppose the Kef´s a bit a bit more refined though dynamics... not sure. Especially against a horn.
My main issue with the JBL is the height, which caused the TV to be positioned too high. As to the sound they had that typical big JBL sound, a bit brash but authoritative. Meanwhile these KEFs are still (very) authoritative but not harsh at all. Of course at almost no height when positioned horizontally I was able to lower the TV a foot+ than I was able to with the JBL.

I have also auditioned the nonreference version of my KEFs. Not in the same room and not side-by-side but they sounded pretty damn good too. Given the huge price difference between mine and those one has a very strong argument that my models doesn't make much sense in the value for money aspect. Have I done a mistake? If I had mortgaged my house to buy what I have now, yes. As my bank manager haven't called me, I am happy :cool:

Last edited:

nerdoldnerdith

My main issue with the JBL is the height, which caused the TV to be positioned too high. As to the sound they had that typical big JBL sound, a bit brash but authoritative. Meanwhile these KEFs are still (very) authoritative but not harsh at all. Of course at almost no height when positioned horizontally I was able to lower the TV a foot+ than I was able to with the JBL.

I have also auditioned the nonreference version of my KEFs. Not in the same room and not side-by-side but they sounded pretty damn good too. Given the huge price difference between mine and those one has a very strong argument that my models doesn't make much sense in the value for money aspect. Have I done a mistake? If I had mortgaged my house to buy what I have now, yes. As my bank manager haven't called me, I am happy :cool:
I think the main difference between the Reference series and the R series is output. They measure similarly, but the Reference is lower distortion and has higher power handling, which makes it better for home theater.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking forward to see the graphs.

Can’t believe someone took my advice and paid what is basically a small house front payment to make it happen. Awesome!

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the main difference between the Reference series and the R series is output. They measure similarly, but the Reference is lower distortion and has higher power handling, which makes it better for home theater.
You are talking about different series of speakers. These are architectural series.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking forward to see the graphs.

Can’t believe someone took my advice and paid what is basically a small house front payment to make it happen. Awesome!
:cool::)

hansik

Being happy is the only thing that counts :)
Do you have more info on the helmholtz absorbers you installed? Next winter I will start my HT with the JBL 4722´s, just not sure it´s worth it. Using multiple correct subwoofer locations should be able to fix most bass issues.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Being happy is the only thing that counts :)
:)

Do you have more info on the helmholtz absorbers you installed? Next winter I will start my HT with the JBL 4722´s, just not sure it´s worth it. Using multiple correct subwoofer locations should be able to fix most bass issues.
I have two types. Three are inside the false ceiling that I had for a few years and two recent ones that are part of the false wall that houses the LCR, subs and the TV.

The ones in the ceiling are 10” plastic drain tubes, around 5m long (250 litres). Length is adjustable but didn’t need to adjust it. There is a hole on one side with a sliding cover, which tunes the resonator.

The ones on the sides of the false wall are made using the wall cavity. They are floor to ceiling high (3m) and 55cm wide. The wall is around 20cm deep. Total volume is around 300 litres. There are lots of joists to stop the outside (listener facing) surface resonating by itself while allowing air to move freely in the enclosure. Towards the bottom there is a slot similar to a vent. A sliding panel covers the slot and tunes the resonator.

I used resonators to tame my room modes as I have a large room and standing waves are fierce. In a smaller room the in-wall units can be replaced with panel absorbers though they will require a deeper wall.

Building a resonator is easy. There are a few HR calculators on the Net. They are big but simple and any carpenter can do it. They should be treated part of the room though, not as a free-standing equipment. However, if your aberrations are not low frequency, a couple small, free-standing resonators can work to tame frequencies above 40Hz.

Last edited:
Top Bottom