• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Official KEF Ci5160REF -THX spinorama

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My dealer sent me a poster showing the entire KEF architectural speaker series. I though it may be helpful to someone as I find their website pretty confusing. PDF is here. I clipped the product table from it, which is below. Click on the image to expand.

1656761562973.png

jimk1963

Just purchased 2 Ci5160 in-walls for LR and a Ci3160 for center channel. The 5160’s weigh 41 lbs each - am I going to have problems getting the half-inch drywall to hold up that much weight? These things are massively heavy for in-walls, has never been a consideration with previous speakers.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just purchased 2 Ci5160 in-walls for LR and a Ci3160 for center channel. The 5160’s weigh 41 lbs each - am I going to have problems getting the half-inch drywall to hold up that much weight? These things are massively heavy for in-walls, has never been a consideration with previous speakers.
The REF version is even heavier! I built a false wall which is almost like a shallow enclosure with an inch thick surface and lots and lots of braces.

Enjoy your speakers :)

jimk1963

The REF version is even heavier! I built a false wall which is almost like a shallow enclosure with an inch thick surface and lots and lots of braces.

Enjoy your speakers :)
Thanks @sarumbear , in my case these are going into an existing 4" wall, so I don't really have a lot of room to work with.

One thought I had, is this nuts - after cutting out the 41 inch x 8.25 inch hole, was thinking to attach 4 inch wide x 41 inch long wood strips to the studs on either side of the hole, and then attach the speaker directly to the wood strips, bypassing the drywall contraption altogether. Crazy? Not well thought out, i.e., need different screws, how to attach wood strips to studs, etc.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @sarumbear , in my case these are going into an existing 4" wall, so I don't really have a lot of room to work with.

One thought I had, is this nuts - after cutting out the 41 inch x 8.25 inch hole, was thinking to attach 4 inch wide x 41 inch long wood strips to the studs on either side of the hole, and then attach the speaker directly to the wood strips, bypassing the drywall contraption altogether. Crazy? Not well thought out, i.e., need different screws, how to attach wood strips to studs, etc.
I suggest you get in touch with KEF. I'm sure they will have ideas.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
From the chart you posted, Sarumbear (thanks for it!), I assume that the in walls can be roughly equated to the conventional speaker series as I see Reference, R and Q as part of the range.

With this in mind, I wonder why KEF has not certified their R and Reference conventional series speakers under THX too.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From the chart you posted, Sarumbear (thanks for it!), I assume that the in walls can be roughly equated to the conventional speaker series as I see Reference, R and Q as part of the range.

With this in mind, I wonder why KEF has not certified their R and Reference conventional series speakers under THX too.
Obviously I have no way of knowing but I assume that is because THX is a theatre certification and the other speakers are not marketed solely for home theatres. Afterall, THX label is a marketing tool.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Obviously I have no way of knowing but I assume that is because THX is a theatre certification and the other speakers are not marketed solely for home theatres. Afterall, THX label is a marketing tool.
My guess is that they wanted to save costs, but I´m quite sure that the R Meta series is perfectly capable of reaching THX standards.

Impossible

How do the woofers on the reference series compare to the reference architectural series?

Are they better then the r series? But not as good as the reference (none in wall) ?

Top Bottom