• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Official KEF Ci5160REF -THX spinorama

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are those bass traps behind dry wall? How does it look exactly?
They are adjustable resonating bass traps with a porthole at the bottom, next to the sub drivers. They are the only type of bass traps of manageable size that works below 100Hz.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yellow: KEF in-wall LCR, Red JBL subs LR, Green: bass-traps, Yellow circles, KEF ceiling heights.
6.6 meters widths? Nice, in my cinema room will be only 4...
How long is your room?
I will choose speakers from KEF or JBL. JBL propably SCL-2, or KEF like yours :)

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
6.6 meters widths? Nice, in my cinema room will be only 4...
How long is your room?
Here’s a rough sketch of the TV room, which is also our living room. It integrates the kitchen and the dining room. The grey bar on the left is the false wall, which covers the 6.5m wall. Yellow highlights and the grey circles are the speakers.

7E6D1911-54AC-4333-ACF8-2447E9921489.jpeg

Left is the false wall that has the LCR, stereo subs and two front heights.
Top are the two surrounds
Under the kitchen island there’s another surround
Left bottom is the final surround and the LFE sub.
Grey circles are Atmos speakers.
Finally, at the top of the dressers are two back heights.
That summarises the 7.3.6 setup.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazing setup. Kef is the Fernando Lamas of high end speaker makers. Because it's just as important to look marvelous, as to sound marvelous.

Adi777

Are there any measurements for JBL SCL-1 and SCL-2 somewhere?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazing setup. Kef is the Fernando Lamas of high end speaker makers. Because it's just as important to look marvelous, as to sound marvelous.
It is a shame than that I am considering hiding them behind an acoustic cloth...

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there any measurements for JBL SCL-1 and SCL-2 somewhere?
I did ask JBL at the time but they said they don't release such data to the public. I guess that is the effect of the Asian mentality taking over?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Photoshop gone wrong (big scenic image below):

Room too small, too reflective, too bright for watching the screen, asymmetrical in reverberation and regarding stereo triangle :D

Another one: since the screens get bigger all the time, what about the center speaker?! Here (or: there) the screen is already positioned too high to be convenient. And still the center speaker is so close to the floor, that I doubt it will work to specs.

I question the THX standard :facepalm: ... for home users. Meet some people, visit a real cinema, it will be fun (and way cheaper).
Do you have a point or are you simply critiquing KEF's marketing material?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a point, that the marketing material (what a wording?!) reveals without intention:

- as screens get bigger where to position the center speaker?!

To position the screen as high as shown a) doesn't solve the problem and b) is inconvenient. At least it hinders visual "immersion" :cool:

O/k, a bit of a provocation, but why not step back and stop. The 'real' thing is the cinema, watching together with other people as a social cultural event. If (!) there is still culture in contemporary movies ...
I can sit ten people on my sofa and the screen is 1.9m wide at around 4m. The centre four persons will have the same the visual angle you get at the best cinema seats.

As for the screen and centre speaker height, I copied the chart I posted earlier for you to comment on the centre speaker and screen heights.

What is it that you find wrong within these numbers and layout?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't commenting Your private 10 individuals high end sound home cinema. I only noticed several photoshop-ed depictions of home cinema where the screen was positioned too high to be comfortable for me. So, I wonder to where the THX standard would lead eventually if the demand for perfection and foremost size would keep on rising.

Off topic: admittedly I discard home cinema for nearly every imaginable reason. Maybe because I see no benefit with it.
So to be clear; you repeatedly replied to my posts about my home theatre, on a thread I’m also the OP, in order to critique a speaker manufacturer’s marketing photos but you “discard home cinema for nearly every imaginable reason? If you discard home cinema why bother commenting about it? That’s what trolls do.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Here’s a rough sketch of the TV room, which is also our living room. It integrates the kitchen and the dining room. The grey bar on the left is the false wall, which covers the 6.5m wall. Yellow highlights and the grey circles are the speakers.

View attachment 210417

Left is the false wall that has the LCR, stereo subs and two front heights.
Top are the two surrounds
Under the kitchen island there’s another surround
Left bottom is the final surround and the LFE sub.
Grey circles are Atmos speakers.
Finally, at the top of the dressers are two back heights.
That summarises the 7.3.6 setup.
I'd definitely offer to cook you dinner on an environment like that if you play some Ministry. Seems like your base response is quite nice!

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd definitely offer to cook you dinner on an environment like that if you play some Ministry. Seems like your base response is quite nice!
The bass response is to die for! :)

My partner was a big time London house DJ, so we do club emulation in that room pretty often. There are not many clubs in London or Chicago that are better than our living room.

KSU2002

So to be clear; you repeatedly replied to my posts about my home theatre, on a thread I’m also the OP, in order to critique a speaker manufacturer’s marketing photos but you “discard home cinema for nearly every imaginable reason? If you discard home cinema why bother commenting about it? That’s what trolls do.
Don’t take his comments seriously. Home cinema setups like the one you are building are far more conducive to connecting with friends and family than actual movie theaters. People who only criticize without adding helpful commentary are usually jealous of those around them. You are building a fantastic setup which will surpass most theater experiences. My KEF atmos setup sounds better and is more comfortable than the AMC theaters (headquartered in our city). I just took the family to see Maverick in an MX4D theater where the seats move on hydraulics and afterwards we all said we prefer our home theater setup. Enjoy the new space and theater.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t take his comments seriously. Home cinema setups like the one you are building are far more conducive to connecting with friends and family than actual movie theaters. People who only criticize without adding helpful commentary are usually jealous of those around them. You are building a fantastic setup which will surpass most theater experiences. My KEF atmos setup sounds better and is more comfortable than the AMC theaters (headquartered in our city). I just took the family to see Maverick in an MX4D theater where the seats move on hydraulics and afterwards we all said we prefer our home theater setup. Enjoy the new space and theater.
Thank you for the nice words. It is indeed an excellent place to enjoy time with friends.

By the way, the system is up and running for almost four years. I’m only changing the LCR speakers and adding more bass traps.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The bass response is to die for! :)

My partner was a big time London house DJ, so we do club emulation in that room pretty often. There are not many clubs in London or Chicago that are better than our living room.
Then get a "Maxim Reality psychosomatic certified" signature.

Damn, play some old Benediction and get a smile on me! :)

Enjoy that setup!

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Trolling posts removed. If they continue please don’t respond to poster. Send us a report and we will handle it. Please and thank you.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
@sarumbear, would love to see some pictures of these new speakers before you install and after. Assuming you plan to take measurements of the FR. Will you have a before and after FR chart to share as well? I am personally very interested in your current setup as compared to the new Kef’s. What your doing is very exciting since you already had epic kit installed already. I imagine you feel like a kid in a Candy store!!! Good luck Sir.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Loving this. The design concpt and use.

What are you driving the speakers with?

Top Bottom