• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Now we know why Amir is pro-MQA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mansr

Major Contributor
I wonder why MQA's reps have been so coy about that. Everyone in the Hundred Acre Wood knows that Owl is the greatest and wisest expert on everything, so mentions of him would surely be a more effective appeal to authority than blathering about Bob.

View attachment 19232
Could be this owl:
Taleofsquirrelnu00pottuoft55-tb.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hey, give Amir a break: At least he doesn't cut half the napkin off, and then fold the remaining part in half, ruining the bottom 1/16th of the remaining part in the process - and then charge you extra money to unfold that mess, and then tell you that what you're left with is even better than the original napkin was.
Yes, we do have to throw in consideration of the fact that he grew up in the Micro$oft think-tanks. Bringing in a pro-consumer position is considered bad business there. We'll keep him involved in some de-programing threads here and at some point I'm sure he'll begin to understand the bigger implications. ;)

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
No one needs MQA except those making money off of MQA.
Indeed. The simple fact is that MQA will not allow a controlled listening test to demonstrate its efficacy. Enough information and investigation by 3rd parties has demonstrated it is of dubious merit. So clearly MQA know it will not stand up to proper scrutiny.

My own subjective analysis of it FWIW concluded the differences heard were caused by different mastering and playback conditions.

The only argument it has going for it is that it can reduce streaming bandwidth. This argument is only relevant for the streaming companies, its not important to the end user. The bandwidth compared to video is trivial and will continue to become more so as bandwidth increases and continues to fall in cost.

It's a solution without a problem but it certainly does generate a revenue stream for Bob et Al.

mansr

Major Contributor
The simple fact is that MQA will not allow a controlled listening test to demonstrate its efficacy.
McGill University did a study and found no improvement.

The only argument it has going for it is that it can reduce streaming bandwidth.
That argument is a lie. Same quality FLAC is smaller.

Jimster480

Major Contributor

That argument is a lie. Same quality FLAC is smaller.
Please link the study if you have it. A quick search didn't find it in the first two pages.

FLAC would be smaller than MQA because it doesn't have the encoding / keys attached to it. Its just purely tones with basically no encapsulation.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I have not seen that in many anti MQA folks. Most are emotionally against it first and foremost. But maybe you surprise me. :)
No one I have met has even heard of it. It is only known amongst audiophiles.

Well if an emotional reaction is what describes my view towards a non effective technology which MQA wants to make ubiqtuous so they can generate a revenue stream, and require me to buy new playback hardware to access its alleged advantages, then so be it. :)

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Please link the study if you have it. A quick search didn't find it in the first two pages.

FLAC would be smaller than MQA because it doesn't have the encoding / keys attached to it. Its just purely tones with basically no encapsulation.
So why were Tidal interested if it didn't help, or were they just bullshit Ted about that aspect?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Even worse. In a couple of the tests IIRC, the results indicated that listeners could reliably hear a difference. That can only mean one thing.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom