• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not trying to be arrogant here, but who listens to this?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Is it remotely possible to stop the personal attacks and focus on the thread? It's a really bad look.

Sooner or later a frustrated moderator will nuke this entire thread from orbit as it's the only way to be sure...

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was enjoying the very well-informed and educational discussion of 'modern' music that a few aficionados managed to turn this poorly-birthed thread into.

The tedious, repetitive outbreaks of 'it's just UGLY CRAP' ("and so is MODERN ARCHITECTURE") I'm finding less illuminating. I'd even say we'd lose absolutely nothing if mods were to 'quiet' them at this point.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Still evasive, I give up. Too many red flags now.
How long did you believe your childish rehash of
"but what about this, but what about this"
Was going to work?
Grow up.

The tedious, repetitive outbreaks of 'it's just UGLY CRAP' ("and so is MODERN ARCHITECTURE") I'm finding less illuminating. I'd even say we'd lose absolutely nothing if mods were to 'quiet' them at this point.
Yep, make sure you silence different opinions than yours.
You chose your online name well.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
@Robin L

I have also seen Laurie Anderson live more than once. She is very much appreciated by me. Also a pioneer in her own way in my eyes.

Own (little) Photo. This was for example at the ZKM.

laurie-anderson.jpg

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
So, you leave up the people on the street to decide what is art and what is crap.
Good luck with that.

Thank you

I think that's a good answer. I am a bit shocked about so much hostility towards art and have no real desire to continue on this level of discussion. That it is not about mass taste was already clear in the first post, that too showed ignorance.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I think that's a good answer. I am a bit shocked about so much hostility towards art and have no real desire to continue on this level of discussion. That it is not about mass taste was already clear in the first post, that too showed ignorance.
So ART's kind of like a blow-job, there's no such thing a a bad one?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Wow people,how can a music thread come to this???
(Imagine if I was strongly defending my OPINION that music stopped being real couple of centuries ago [ok,with some small exclusions] and everything from then on is just rip-off's and covers :facepalm: )

The beauty of music is that anyone can listen and decide for itself if it suits him.
And taste evolves with time,that's a sign of someone growing up nicely,never say never...

Sokel

Master Contributor
How? It's all iright here for you to read.

I feel like a perfect fool for trying to be reasonable.
Every time-every f....ng single time- that people tell other people what to like makes me sad.
It's not like someone forces it to your ears,just skip and be ok.
Music is fun!

Axo1989

Major Contributor
How long did you believe your childish rehash of
"but what about this, but what about this"
Was going to work?

I don't know, maybe you're assuming I was arguing disingenuously or trolling because you were? Hard to know. I wasn't though. I don't object to a bit of humour and shit-stirring, but not to the extent of a complete de-rail. It was a pretty good thread for a while actually. If I was feeding the troll, I'm stopping now.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Every time-every f....ng single time- that people tell other people what to like makes me sad.
It's not like someone forces it to your ears,just skip and be ok.
Music is fun!
I think the hostilities above are less about musical aesthetics than they are about authority over aesthetic judgement, I.e. dominance of this space.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I think the hostilities above are less about musical aesthetics than they are about authority over aesthetic judgement, I.e. dominance of this space.
Whoever tried to dominate feelings got himself a very sour defeat.So...

Sokel

Master Contributor
Well, it doesn't look like anyone is telling others what to like, only how to call it :)
I call my cat Karita (I have post her here on ASR).
Do I need to explain of whom I called her after???

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Why? I've seen it close up, in the daytime. It was beautiful. Trust me.

It seems to have traumatized you. Might be time to let it go?

Ok I had that exact reaction too, but I may have fallen into the trap of arguing the details and not acknowledging the overall drift. While I disagreed with "butt ugly" for sure, to the extent that @restorer-john is saying that in the beginning there was a lot of negative shit going on around the Opera House and that affected public perceptions of beauty and value, whereas now there is a widespread appreciation and the negative stuff has passed, I agree.

This revision occurred to me as I listen to a fresh and epically great electro-breakbeat mix from HÖR Berlin. I used to hate that stuff. Maybe my tastes are getting broader/less conservative as I get older, or I'm not so old yet. Or maybe the musical practice of this particular form has become more interesting and complex, I might think/sleep on this.

Last edited:

Multicore

Major Contributor
I call my cat Karita (I have post her here on ASR).
Do I need to explain of whom I called her after???
Not need but might want to. People enjoying each other's company do sometimes explain how their pets got their names.

Music is, imo, a social practice. Talking about it is part of that. Saying what you did and didn't like. Maybe figuring out why. It's part of the fun.

But music can also be a powerful group signifier and often has a role in politics. Bebop jazz, was, among other things, a reassertion of black authority over jazz, and played its part in an emancipation movement. Bebop was also a generational schism, the young actively replacing the old styles with their new ones. It was confrontation as well as music. Later in the century another music heralded another generational schism and phase of that emancipatory politics. Also confrontational in nature. It's name also ends in "op".

It makes me sad that people fight and that sometimes they have to. But that music has a past and a future in politics is fine with me. Music is a human language.

Last edited:
Top Bottom