• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not trying to be arrogant here, but who listens to this?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I call my cat Karita (I have post her here on ASR).
Do I need to explain of whom I called her after???

Not sure I have any idea. Were you on your way to see the frost troll?

Edit: entirely off the mark I was.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Not sure I have any idea. Were you on your way to see the frost troll?

Edit: entirely off the mark I was.
See my point?
No one knows her and I think that everyone does being in my micro-world.
That's MY fault.

(but I'm telling you,she can meow REALLY high!)

Axo1989

Major Contributor
See my point?
No one knows her and I think that everyone does being in my micro-world.
That's MY fault.

(but I'm telling you,she can meow REALLY high!)

Haha yes, that makes sense !!

* I'm not feeding our cat dinner again so there was a virtuoso vocal performance
* she puts the cat in caterwaul
* by 'again' I mean no second dinner, not some cruel punishment
* she is called Sookee though, which you can relate to Park Chan-Wook's Handmaiden, or The Southern Vampire Mysteries (aka True Blood)
* micro-worlds for sure

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I think the hostilities above are less about musical aesthetics than they are about authority over aesthetic judgement, I.e. dominance of this space.

That's very insightful actually. Hence the otherwise illogical agonistic behaviour.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
But that is only the case if you talk about it in a civilized way and do not cultivate your own hatred.

And a reason why questions and disagreements can be appreciated, or not, depending where you are coming from.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I would have liked to read or write something else about the reception of contemporary classical music, but I don't know if that still fits here. I also find the other topics related to art interesting and deal with them a lot. Fine art, architecture, literature, design. But you get bogged down if you don't stay on topic.

Multicore

Major Contributor
I would have liked to read or write something else about the reception of contemporary classical music, but I don't know if that still fits here. I also find the other topics related to art interesting and deal with them a lot. Fine art, architecture, literature, design. But you get bogged down if you don't stay on topic.
You can only try.

I love diversions but in this thread I, for me, personally, am trying to avoid a few things. One is allowing architecture, public art, sculpture or decoration to be proxies for music. Another is evaluation of modernism itself. Just agreeing terms in any of these topics is too much, let alone values, meanings and judgements.

And I think @TSX did a great job framing this thread in the OP. (Let's all go now and like that OP. I just did, and felt guilty that I didn't before.) So if I am going to introduce something novel to the thread, I want to be able to relate it somehow to what has gone before. But if we get diverted, it doesn't matter.

Promoting our own work is a delicate matter. I think it is ok if I believe it is a positive contribution in the spirit of the thread and if the others are ok with it. (All my stuff is available for free.)

But that's just me. And I may change my mind in 10 minutes.

With that in mind...

Addendum to #530: For example, my wife ran an modern art gallery for several years besides her professional career, and I designed the website for it. We wanted to promote certain young artists and paid for everything with our own money.
Sounds like you are proud of this accomplishment and maybe it's cool, idk. These two posts of yours demonstrate how hard it is to answer general questions about what's on topic. Maybe take a chance and show us that web site. Then we can decide if Ikea or chintz ;>

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Maybe take a chance and show us that web site. Then we can decide if Ikea or chintz ;>
Okay, I understand what you mean. I just wanted to illuminate a few backgrounds. That's what's missing with many, for example. I do not know their backgrounds and am then surprised what they write.

That is why I often try to illustrate things with own photos for this purpose if I have it.

The old website doesn't exist anymore and neither do my former blogs and other websites. I do less today.

I do not know how to continue here now - maybe better I do not.

Last edited:

Multicore

Major Contributor
Well, I certainly could, but not in the short form that fits in the ASR.
A podcast of an hour or so might be appropriate. ;)

For me, it's a well-rounded story that I can relate to and enjoy well within a larger context. It is charged with many meanings. In general, I have a soft spot for percussion. Stockhausen is not new to me, as I have attended several performances of his works over the decades. Of course, it helps that I have seen the performance in question live and even received an introduction beforehand. The vinyl record, by the way, is accompanied by detailed liner notes where I can read excerpts from the score, the cast, the direction, etc.

View attachment 260865
View attachment 260866
I don't like it. If I had a copy I might take it as an exhibit in building my case contra Stockhausen. There are several works of his that I have loved for many years expect to continue to. But those examples of good music make his later behavior even less excusable. He was a maniac. He always insisted on elaborate and innovative theory and practice even when he had no idea how it related to an interesting or enjoyable experience for the audience, in other words, even when it failed. Musik im Bauch is imo an example of many such failures.

His "theory", his gift for prophetic theatrics and esotericism, his megalomania and political skills got him to the summit of European institutional art music. As with Heidegger, it will be a long time before we can recover from the damage. The generation of inadequately critical devotees to him and the avantgarde (modernist, idk what to call it) music he represents need to die out before we have a chance to move on. But I see positive signs that this will come.

Anyway, this should be a topic for my conversations with Gav. How about this for an episode title: Karlheinz Stockhausen: What went wrong from Gesang der Jünglinge to Helicopter Quartet and was it all his fault?

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
The disrespect here is increasing to an extent that is no longer bearable for me. I am sorry for that. I will now log off here.

Multicore

Major Contributor
The old website doesn't exist anymore and neither do my former blogs and other websites. I do less today.
What was the URL? It might be in the wayback machine.

I do not know how to continue here now - maybe better I do not.
I would consider it a success if we manage to rescue the thread. It is surely within reach to do so.

Or allow time to pass. Days or weeks perhaps. I expect an idea will come to you sooner or later. Willful seeking of ideas can be a self-defeating activity.

The disrespect here is increasing to an extent that is no longer bearable for me. I am sorry for that. I will now log off here.
I hope you don't mean that I was disrespectful to you. I don't believe so.

Shorty

“Karlheinz Stockhausen: What went wrong from Gesang der Jünglinge to Helicopter Quartet and was it all his fault?”

I remember a summer’s evening in 1995, standing in a park in Amsterdam waiting for and watching a helicopter take off with a violin player aboard to play her part in the Helikopter Streichquartett. That was exciting at least, and fun.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
singing is not playing a musical instrument.
Why not ?

I call my cat Karita
What does she call you?

Every time-every f....ng single time- that people tell other people what to like makes me sad.
It's not like someone forces it to your ears,just skip and be ok.
Music is fun!
I never heard a single post of anyone telling anyone what to like?
Why do you make this BS up?

Do I need to explain of whom I called her after???
Does that have any relevance here ?

Sokel

Master Contributor
What does she call you?
She usually ignores me unless it's her time for her treat or she feels like arguing.
(see,I'm used to that kind of stuff,so...)

Does that have any relevance here ?
Why,does everything else apart from the music has?
I never heard a single post of anyone telling anyone what to like?
Why do you make this BS up?
No,only what to NOT like,or what he likes is BS.
Which is exactly the same or even worst.

(before you reply [if you reply] remember the first answer of my post)

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Haha yeah I'm hitting that ignore button now. I've no more taste for these territorial pissings (which is great Nirvana track though).

RonSanderson

Is it remotely possible to stop the personal attacks and focus on the thread? It's a really bad look.

Sooner or later a frustrated moderator will nuke this entire thread from orbit as it's the only way to be sure...
If we get to vote, I’d say we end this thread!

Top Bottom