• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not satisfied with performance of SVS 1000 Pro

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It’s not a question if I should get second woofer (I am getting it). What I’m asking is if there would be any low volume advantage of getting 2000 pro vs 1000 pro for the small room I have. Are the drivers the same etc?

Im hunting room treatment and will collect it in following months, slowly
There would be a advantage at lo volume if you do calibration as it is (or as you like) but at 84 dB (just crunch it up) LPS and then use "loudness" (equal loudness normalization ISO 226 2003) with internal volume control in JRiver as I explained you initially. Then you bring it down to a level you like (let's say it will work fine to 65~70 dB).
SVS 2000 Pro gives you only about 2.5 dB more volume (continuously/peek as W*2=+3 dB) and you already with one SVS SB 1000 Pro have large headroom you probably will never use.

OP
D

Diseasex

There would be a advantage at lo volume if you do calibration as it is (or as you like) but at 84 dB (just crunch it up) LPS and then use "loudness" (equal loudness normalization ISO 226 2003) with internal volume control in JRiver as I explained you initially. Then you bring it down to a level you like (let's say it will work fine to 65~70 dB).
SVS 2000 Pro gives you only about 2.5 dB more volume (continuously/peek as W*2=+3 dB) and you already with one SVS SB 1000 Pro have large headroom you probably will never use.
Yes it's just something I don't understand - if I bring it down is there any noticeable sound quality difference? - say both are responding at 70dB for any given frequency after calibration- and the response charts are looking very similar in reviews. Would there be anything I'm missing that would make sb 2000 pro "better"? Ignore 2 woofer setup for a minute.

Is there like, speed or something else that chart is not showing?

Sorry if daft question

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Yes it's just something I don't understand - if I bring it down is there any noticeable sound quality? - say both are responding at 70dB for any given frequency after calibration- and the response charts are looking very similar. Would there be anything I'm missing that would make sb 2000 pro "better"? Ignore 2 woofer setup for a minute

Sorry if daft question
Yes (if you bring it down) and it's about physical dispersion of the low end and psyho acustics (how we perceive it). Idea with equal loudness normalization is to compensate for those difrences (but we all agree that we disagree regarding exact bess level that we like we percive it differently) and as most boost is in low - sub bass you do need a strong (in W) sub for that.
On the other hand more you crunk the volume up you get more distortion from; driver, enclosure, room.
From hardware that has implemented equal loudness normalization from what I know/can remember there are Yamahas that have it and Denon AVR's (Audicity 32) so far my quest of finding an plugin that would work well and could be easily integrated in most players (direct filters or VST) failed.
ISO-226-2003-Equal-Loudness-Contours-Diagram.png
Screenshot_20230212-214711.png

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
For what? Do you intend to listen @ 100+ dB loudness to 1 KHz? And even if you do it won't exactly work well in a small room even with all the best acoustical treatment there is. You don't need a 1200W sub that can go 6 dB (300x2x2) more than one you have.

OP
D

Diseasex

For what? Do you intend to listen @ 100+ dB loudness to 1 KHz? And even if you do it won't exactly work well in a small room even with all the best acoustical treatment there is. You don't need a 1200W sub that can go 6 dB (300x2x2) more than one you have.
You just said sound quality would be better if I lowered volume on better sub. So confused .

I need sound QUALITY to match utopias :D

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I whose talking about equal loudness normalization and how when you lower the loudness to 1 KHz mesured you need a boost in lows and less in highs to perceive it as full sounding. Sound quality will be better more you can keep harmonics (distortion) of cabinets and room response under control. Both speakers and sub you have can do it very good to a calibration point (speakers probably to 90 dB and sub even to 100 dB that's very loud factory to live rock concert front row or night club if you like). In reality you will rarely ever go over 84 dB. I start listening about 72 and go up to about 80 gradually with time which is more than average and because I can (listening room isolation from rest of the hause, hause in the nature and good neighbours). That's of course for direct listening for background or at night I lower it to 60~70 range (normal to loud conversation). Room is other pair of slippers and will improve with treatment.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I need sound QUALITY to match utopias :D
I really advise you to use good hedaphones (like I do and because such have lower distortion than best speakers) and tone generator to low range (80 Hz to 20 Hz) in order that you get real understanding what they are and how they sound (not much "quality" sort of to it).

OP
D

Diseasex

I really advise you to use good hedaphones (like I do and because such have lower distortion than best speakers) and tone generator to low range (80 Hz to 20 Hz) in order that you get real understanding what they are and how they sound (not much "quality" sort of to it).
I have sony 1000xm5 but it's nothing like the speakers

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Speak to me as if I was a

I have sony 1000xm5 but it's nothing like the speakers
Those go down to 20 Hz and even lower with a boost (wired with noise canceling on) so ideal for the observation purpose.
With lo distortion of course.
Edit: You can use phone app tone generator if you wish cuple of not bad one's on Android but that would limit it to BT LDAC probably (I still use old Sony phone with hedaphone jack that refuse to die and I refuse to upgrade until it does).

Last edited:
OP
D

Diseasex

Those go down to 20 Hz and even lower with a boost (wired with noise canceling on) so ideal for the observation purpose.
With lo distortion of course.
Edit: You can use phone app tone generator if you wish cuple of not bad one's on Android but that would limit it to BT LDAC probably (I still use old Sony phone with hedaphone jack that refuse to die and I refuse to upgrade until it does).
Yes but it’s like driving lada when you have Maserati.
Don’t get me wrong I use them a lot but it’s just lada in comparision and my guess is the frequency response is similar!

So I still don’t know why some speakers sound so much better in comparision to others with sometimes worse frequency response.

Same for woofer , that’s why I want to pick top of the range and scale it down to my room to be sure it I’m not missing out on some unmeasurable listening pleasure!

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Yes but it’s like driving lada when you have Maserati.
Don’t get me wrong I use them a lot but it’s just lada in comparision
But you can drive Niva (or real terrain vehicle) where you cant Maserati and probably even wouldn't something that even can but costs like Maserati like AMG GT Mercedes cube (but you don't give a damn for Niva).
It will do just fine for a purpose and more so as it's noise isolating and you need that as ambient noise is higher.

OP
D

Diseasex

But you can drive Niva (or real terrain vehicle) where you cant Maserati and probably even wouldn't something that even can but costs like Maserati like AMG GT Mercedes cube (but you don't give a damn for Niva).
It will do just fine for a purpose and more so as it's noise isolating and you need that as ambient noise is higher.
Yes niva gets you from A to B , but do you remember the EXPERIENCE driving it ? Not so much! :D

Yes I enjoy music on my Sony xm5 but I’m leaving my listening space with Utopias in state of trance, shock and awe. There isn’t really any comparision

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I too vote for "room acoustics".

Just for your reference, I have L & R sub-woofers, very heavy large YAMAHA YST-SW1000;
WS00005125.JPG

You would please find my latest system setup here including my listening room environments.

My post here would be also of your interest, I assume;
- Not only the precision (0.1 msec level) time alignment over all the SP drivers but also SP facing directions and sound-deadening space behind the SPs plus behind our listening position would be critically important for effective (perfect?) disappearance of speakers: #687

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it's just something I don't understand - if I bring it down is there any noticeable sound quality difference? - say both are responding at 70dB for any given frequency after calibration- and the response charts are looking very similar in reviews. Would there be anything I'm missing that would make sb 2000 pro "better"? Ignore 2 woofer setup for a minute.

Is there like, speed or something else that chart is not showing?

Sorry if daft question
No such thing as "speed" really. Might review these https://data-bass.com/#/articles/5cbf5e7357f7140004d6d0ec?_k=629fna

Subs are about accuracy, extension and capabilities for the most part. Hard to know what you think of as "sound quality"....

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have … removed svs box from the room(and pile of other boxes) and that magically fixed it… wow
Did we just discover a highly effective, cheap DIY bass absorber??

As for no xover, this makes sense to me. Many times you can fill in nulls with multiple sources at one frequency. By using the xover you actually take sources away for a given frequency. And, once you EQ the gain back down to flat, distortion tends to decrease as well, if it was a problem to begin with.

Willem

Major Contributor
This is such a small room that big subs are unnecessary.

Top Bottom