• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not satisfied with performance of SVS 1000 Pro

Diseasex

HI Guys I pulled the trigger on SVS 1000 pro and trying to making it work with my system. I have experiemented with different positioning, finding most bassy place and measure there etc but I cant get the performance of 30-40hz to "flat out". I mean I'm reading science reviews where the performance in this area is great but not to my experience.
How can I make this woofer playing better?

I have set up crossover at 50hz as the response of my speakers is great at 50hz+ and drops sharply below that (focal diablo utopia). So I'm only interested in performance of 0-50hz from the woofer

This is alleged performance of this subwoofer made by audioholics :

and this is mine (measured in different places in the room:
index.php

Note 30-40hz drop. This is across the board with speakers, with different dacs, both digital and analog in different places

Is 30-40hz so terrible for this woofer or is it room playing regardless of positioning or am I reading it wrong and it's fine?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
It's the room. Flat in-room response of a subwoofer is simply impossible without room treatment, EQ, and possibly multiple subs.
If you were to take the sub outside to perform a ground plane measurement, you'd see that 30-40Hz dip disappear.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The best sub is a second sub.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I triple the second sub recommendations. One sub in most cases is just not enough to get the flat low frequency response you want. I struggled with this for months on end. The second sub immediately fixed it. Good luck.

Additionally a picture of the room and the sub placement will help better diagnose your room issues. Give us the room dimensions as well.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I also vote Room...

I have a deep hole at 48Hz, that doesn't really exist with either left or right speaker alone.

Asymmetrical room here.

L and R red, both green, 1/48 smoothing:

1675784772480.png

I don't consciously notice it though.

Didn't know it was there until measured.

So, I don't worry about it.

The 220Hz dip is the bounce off the wall behind the dipole panels, also not noticed.

"Psychoacoustic" smoothing gives this:

1675785057508.png

OP
D

Diseasex

I also vote Room...

I have a deep hole at 48Hz, that doesn't really exist with either left or right speaker alone.

Asymmetrical room here.

L and R red, both green, 1/48 smoothing:

View attachment 263082

I don't consciously notice it though.

Didn't know it was there until measured.

So, I don't worry about it.

The 220Hz dip is the bounce off the wall behind the dipole panels, also not noticed.

"Psychoacoustic" smoothing gives this:

View attachment 263084
Wow how have you achieved such flat response? Active speakers?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
HI Guys I pulled the trigger on SVS 1000 pro and trying to making it work with my system. I have experiemented with different positioning, finding most bassy place and measure there etc but I cant get the performance of 30-40hz to "flat out". I mean I'm reading science reviews where the performance in this area is great but not to my experience.
How can I make this woofer playing better?

I have set up crossover at 50hz as the response of my speakers is great at 50hz+ and drops sharply below that (focal diablo utopia). So I'm only interested in performance of 0-50hz from the woofer

This is alleged performance of this subwoofer made by audioholics :

and this is mine (measured in different places in the room:
index.php

Note 30-40hz drop. This is across the board with speakers, with different dacs, both digital and analog in different places

Is 30-40hz so terrible for this woofer or is it room playing regardless of positioning or am I reading it wrong and it's fine?

Without a mic, it first took me months to realize how bad my room (bedroom back then) was. Manufacturer’s graphs were beautiful and linear… With bass, it becomes clear you really are measuring the speaker’s “transfer function” inside your room - more specifically, at the microphone(s) position.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Wow how have you achieved such flat response? Active speakers?

Everything runs digitally through a miniDSP Open DRC-DI which passes a new set of digits on to the DAC.

AccurateDRC is the software to create the FIR and IIR filters for the miniDSP.

The electrical frequency response and phase is modified from flat lines to something like this:

Sweep output, FR and phase, of one channel at the preamp with the EQ applied:

1675789405182.png

Listening position with and without EQ, 1/12 smoothing

1675789656362.png

Measurement is with a UMIK-1 placed dead center between where my ears would be were I sitting in the sweetest of spots.

I go with flat instead of sloped, because the speakers don't interact with the room very strongly, being beamy dipoles.

Nobody has complained they are too bright.

Flat response also gives the ability to match the source recording's response with the Listening Position response.

Willem

Major Contributor
As others have said, it is the room, and so-called room modes in particular. A second (or third) sub is one part of the solution. Bass traps are another option, but they are ugly. Finally, you can apply dsp room equalization, but with one sub this will only work well for one listening position. If you have been measuring with REW, you can create an equalization (i.e. correction) curve in REW and upload that into the free Equalizer Apo software on a PC. If you are using more than a PC as a source, you need something else, like an ANtimode 8033, the DSPeaker X2, something with Dirac software, or a miniDSP2x4HD. The best option for just subwoofers is at least two subs (not necessarily identical), optimized by Multi Sub Optimizer filters uploaded into the miniDSP 2x4HD. This allows you to flatten the response for two or more subwoofers for a multitude of listening positions. Unfortunately this is also the hardest one to do.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes you just get lucky with the room and placement. I use an SVS SB1000Pro in our HT room. Just one. Placed along a side wall about four feet out from a corner. I did some tuning via the SVS DSP, and I artfully melded the sub via EQ with the L/R speakers, which roll off quickly at about 40Hz. The system measures nearly flat to 27Hz. I use a +3db at 30Hz to -3db at 10KHz response tilting. My last room measurement looked like about +/- 2.5db without smoothing. Just a few bigger spikes and dips. Most people who hear the system find it difficult to believe most of the deep bass is coming from one little sub. The room is about 2100 cu-ft. The Paramount+ synthesized intro tones are my quick demo material for doubters. :)

Now my main listening room, >8000 cu-ft, is a perfect example of not getting lucky in the bass. I got it tuned just right seven years ago, and I'm not touching anything about it until something fails irreparably.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Maybe try a higher crossover frequency and see what happens? If your speakers roll off quickly below 50hz you might want to try xover at 60, 70, etc. and see what happens.

OP
D

Diseasex

Sb
As stupid as it sounds the dip has disappeared. I have … removed svs box from the room(and pile of other boxes) and that magically fixed it… wow

Legend
Blue after REW EQ
Orange before REW EQ

Attachments

• 3BFEE5B4-278B-4119-8E9D-584D03758449.png
    3BFEE5B4-278B-4119-8E9D-584D03758449.png
    136.6 KB · Views: 357

YSC

Major Contributor
I guess the 30-40hz is 1/4 wavelength cancellation from the ceiling though, 40hz is ~8.5m wavelength, dividing by 4 roughly makes sense

charlielaub

If it is possible in your listening space, locate the sub as close to your listening location as possible. For the lowest frequencies you are in the nearfield and this reduces the influence of the room. The sub should basically be right next to you for this to work well.

OP
D

Diseasex

index.php

Managed to achieve this (dark blue with PEQ , light blue no PEQ)

the trick was no xover. For some reason when xover is adder there seems to be distortion between 100-300 and the chart looks way worse. Puzzled. But no xover that is

neRok

Like other people have said, the frequency response is being affected by the room. Your subwoofers performance is probably like the orange line in my markup below, and #1 is a large null, #2 is a boost, #3 is a smaller null, and #4 is a boost. The boosts are probably evident on the waterfall and spectogram graphs. For the nulls, #1 is probably sub:ceiling related like other people mention, because it hardly changes in your different measurements. #3 however does change, indicating it is sub:wall related, so moving your subwoofer around could help minimise that null. Then you should EQ down the peaks, and your response should end up quite flat. You can then adjust the gain to match your speakers, and hopefully you have enough headroom (volume) left to hit your desired listening levels.

graph.jpg

Top Bottom