• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Noob question... DAC with analogic volume control?

Kutusov

I have a Topping D10 connected to a pair of Edifiers S1000 and I'm more or less "meh" ok with the sound. What I don't like is the control of voulme as the digital volume steps on the speakers are a bit far apart. I end up having to set the speakers on a rough voulme and fine tune it on the PC.

Could something like the Zen Dac with a big old knob replace the Topping and sort this "problem" out?

OP
K

Kutusov

Analog in the way that there's a knob with a continuous voulume adjustement... or virtually continuous if the setps are really tiny. If it's a rheostat or digitally rendered I don't really care.

I've read good things about the Topping but if you guys could give me a couple more alternatives would be great. What's putting me off is adding another remote to my desk. I know these are all very silly problems...

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Analog in the way that there's a knob with a continuous voulume adjustement... or virtually continuous if the setps are really tiny. If it's a rheostat or digitally rendered I don't really care.

I've read good things about the Topping but if you guys could give me a couple more alternatives would be great. What's putting me off is adding another remote to my desk. I know these are all very silly problems...
What is your budget?

I saw the S1000 speakers priced around $300. I wouldn't recommend spending more than $300 on a dac/preamp combo, otherwise you might as well upgrade the speakers.

Most dacs around this price range, or stand alone dacs in general, don't implement anolog volume control as the latest 32-bit digital volume built into those chipsets are better than cheap analog ones.

OP
K

Kutusov

.5dB steps aren't good enough?

Yes, they are :)

What is your budget?

I saw the S1000 speakers priced around $300. I wouldn't recommend spending more than $300 on a dac/preamp combo, otherwise you might as well upgrade the speakers.

Most dacs around this price range, or stand alone dacs in general, don't implement anolog volume control as the latest 32-bit digital volume built into those chipsets are better than cheap analog ones.

Budget isn't really an issue but I was thinking around the $100-200 exactly because speakers are OK but not great.

OP
K

Kutusov

Man, this whole thing is a rabbit hole. So many shinny things mind starts to wander. Beat some sense into me....

1. Get the Zen and be done with it

2. Get The E30, stack with the D10 because of pretty lights

3. Get the SMSL 10TH Mk2, stack with the D10 because of pretty lights

4. Get L30 as a pre-amp, connect to the D10

Last edited:

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
1 and 4 make sense. You get a volume knob from either one. 2 and 3 make no sense. You get no volume knob from either one. the E30 and the SMSL are DACs without an analog volume control, you already have a DAC in the D10, I know it can also bridge to another DAC, but what is the point?

The Zen DAC and the L30 are both priced at $130. The L30 is a state-of-the-art analog amp, but it needs a DAC like the D10. The Zen is an all-in-one that does everything, meanings you would no longer need the D10 (yes you can bridge it but what is the point). From an economical standpoint, the Zen is not a good option unless you can sell the D10 for salvage value. Getting the L30 to pair with the D10 is more straightforward.

OP
K

Kutusov

1 and 4 make sense. You get a volume knob from either one. 2 and 3 make no sense. You get no volume knob from either one. the E30 and the SMSL are DACs without an analog volume control, you already have a DAC in the D10, I know it can also bridge to another DAC, but what is the point?

The Zen DAC and the L30 are both priced at $130. The L30 is a state-of-the-art analog amp, but it needs a DAC like the D10. The Zen is an all-in-one that does everything, meanings you would no longer need the D10 (yes you can bridge it but what is the point). From an economical standpoint, the Zen is not a good option unless you can sell the D10 for salvage value. Getting the L30 to pair with the D10 is more straightforward.

:p Thanks for that ;)

BTW, I didn't get your point about the economical standpoint... I would be spending the same money. You mean the L30 solution would be better value for money?

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
You pay $130 for either the Zen or the L30.
If you get the Zen, the D10 that you already have is no longer needed. If you can sell the D10 for, let's say $50, your out-of-pocket is only $80.
If you get the L30, you still need the D10, so your out-of-pocket is $130.
If you plan to keep the D10, then the L30 is better value for the money.
The Zen is inferior to the L30 in every technical sense, but its imperfections are below our hearing threshold, so I would not argue against buying it if you like the form factor.

OP
K

Kutusov

You pay $130 for either the Zen or the L30.
If you get the Zen, the D10 that you already have is no longer needed. If you can sell the D10 for, let's say $50, your out-of-pocket is only $80.
If you get the L30, you still need the D10, so your out-of-pocket is $130.
If you plan to keep the D10, then the L30 is better value for the money.
The Zen is inferior to the L30 in every technical sense, but its imperfections are below our hearing threshold, so I would not argue against buying it if you like the form factor.

Right, thank you so much! :)

3125b

Major Contributor
I would argue that the L30 is the better option of those two.
The Zen DAC has a headphone amp so poor that it barely makes sense, plus a worse (though arguably sufficient) DAC than even the old D10. For effectively ~80$ you'd compromise a lot.
The effectively ~50$ more expensive L30 gets you a great headphone amp (and of course your volume control knob) in addition to the transparent D10 you already have.
You might not need that now, but for the little bit more money, it's absolutely worth it. The only thing the Zen has going for it is its sharp looks.

Anyway: I think it's the right call to go for something with a knob for desktop use. I rarely find myself using the remote on the L30 but rather the knob on my amp. It just comes more natural I guess.

Top Bottom