• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Too bad the Kuzma speed performance is lousy, one of the worst turntable speeds I have ever measured. No matter how Heavy the platter is it cannot correct a inadequate belt, or maybe it is the bearing that cannot stand the weight?
I'm not a trained mechanic, but isn't it just to make sure you have a strong enough parts, a strong enough engine and so on? Would it be that hard to fix?

Edit:
Or you don't have such heavy stuff, like this one below. :) I have no idea what brand it is.It looks extremely thin and thus wobbly, but what do I know, that may not be the case at all. A lifestyle-inspired turntable?:

general.jpg

One point in owning vintage gear is to keep it as true to original condition as possible.
Well, there may well be those who don't think there should be a single new thing in old vintage stuff. This can cause problems when repairs need to be made. It is not always that easy to get hold of original parts for old: cars, boats, amps or speakers just to name a few vintage stuff.
If you had to replace a cartridge in a vintage record player and the choice was between a newly created really good cartridge at a really attractive price VS a vintage (let's say unused) ditto that was much more expensive and had worse performance. Which one would you choose?
For this thought experiment let's say that these cartridges looked the same.

Then there will be those who think that replacing certain things with modern, better ones is perfectly fine. Especially if it's barely even visible. Having said that, you shouldn't replace things that work just for the sake of replacement. It has to fulfill some function. That's why I added in my post 843: An overkill solution if you only plug in speaker cables once.That's my view on it all.:)

Last edited:

dr0ss

An overkill solution if you only plug in speaker cables once.
And if you plan on doing it often, a banana jack-to-RCA adapter can be soldered together in a few minutes, leaving the receiver in original condition.

Over the years I've frequently mucked with the innards of old equipment to get it to work properly with newer pieces, but I always try to make it easily reversible. And--to be honest--I rather like DIN connectors.

dr0ss

This is an actual photo of my Luxman. The acrylic cover was an additional US$800, so I passed on that!
Wait, so someone sold you the TT but held onto the cover because you wouldn't drop $800 on it? I once did something similar, sold a car but kept the custom-fit cover because the buyer wasn't willing to pay an extra $30. I still have that cover, 20 years later, taking up space. I was an idiot.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait, so someone sold you the TT but held onto the cover because you wouldn't drop $800 on it? I once did something similar, sold a car but kept the custom-fit cover because the buyer wasn't willing to pay an extra $30. I still have that cover, 20 years later, taking up space. I was an idiot.
No, the seller did not have one either. I can buy a new one from a Luxman dealer for $800.

I, too, had a fitted car cover for over a decade for a car that was long sold. It took a household move to shake it loose to the dump.

Golf

This is an actual photo of my Luxman. The acrylic cover was an additional US$800, so I passed on that!

View attachment 348764

I’m not familiar with Luxman gear at all. Anyway, I’m impressed by the courage it must have taken to give such a plain retro look to an actual hi-fi device.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor

View attachment 348764
Maybe it is possible to create a tailor made acrylic cover?

I just took the first best page, business, that popped up. There are probably several similar ones like this:

3d print an acrylic cover yourself (or if you know someone who has a 3d printer)? It might work, or? I don't know what type of printer is needed for that, but you can investigate that. :)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Maybe it is possible to create a tailor made acrylic cover?

I just took the first best page, business, that popped up. There are probably several similar ones like this:

3d print an acrylic cover yourself (or if you know someone who has a 3d printer)? It might work, or? I don't know what type of printer is needed for that, but you can investigate that. :)
3D printed won’t be see through though.

Something ready made, like in your link is probably the better option.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
3D printed won’t be see through though.

Something ready made, like in your link is probably the better option.
I actually know nothing about 3d printing, hence my question.:)

Translucent filament for 3d print seems to be available but not so translucent so it will be a completely transparent acrylic cover as desired for the Luxman record player above, or?

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not familiar with Luxman gear at all. Anyway, I’m impressed by the courage it must have taken to give such a plain retro look to an actual hi-fi device.
In person, the aluminum hairline finish is gorgeous and matches the rest of Luxman line. It’s derivative of the earlier PD-171 which slipped out of my hands early last year. I was lucky to land the PD-151 Mk2 with a highly reduced price.

I could get an acrylic cover fabricated for less than the Luxman original, but I use a decorative woven dust cover instead. I used it with my prior turntable; it is effective but not quite as polished.

AdrianusG

In person, the aluminum hairline finish is gorgeous and matches the rest of Luxman line. It’s derivative of the earlier PD-171 which slipped out of my hands early last year. I was lucky to land the PD-151 Mk2 with a highly reduced price.

I could get an acrylic cover fabricated for less than the Luxman original, but I use a decorative woven dust cover instead. I used it with my prior turntable; it is effective but not quite as polished.

Looks very understated, and at the same time very luxurious congratulations :D

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 350059
My main turntable is a VPI Prime 21+ but I really like my Marantz 6300. It’s probably got more upgrades than is worthwhile and it’s running a MC cartridge but IMO, I think it sounds great. I think character counts for a lot.
I agree - if the objective performance of a turntable is good, the character of it can make the user experience even better.

The VPI Prime 21+ also has a lot of character of its own!

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor

Brian Eno takes you into his colourful imagination with Turntable II

Brian Eno's colourful Turntable II turntable isn't just exciting. It costs a fortune and there are only 150 of them in existence.

Renowned musician and artist Brian Eno has launched a new, hypnotic creation: the Turntable II. A tool for playing vinyl records, sure. But more than that, it’s a work of art in its own right. A colourful light show designed to capture the eye and seduce the senses....

paulstolper-brian-eno-turntable-ii-1920x1080-1-1080x608.jpg

Technical info

On the technical side, the Turntable II has a 30 cm diameter, a precision cast acrylic top, a white Pro-Ject 8.6″ aluminium arm and an Ortofon 2M White pickup. It’s belt-driven with a 15V motor and supports both 33 and 45 rpm speeds.

However, you’re unlikely to buy a Turntable II for its sonic qualities, as it will face competition from other players at a tenth of the price. But for millionaires looking for something unique for their collection, why not.

As with the original Turntable, the Turntable II will be produced in limited numbers. Only 150 units will be produced worldwide and are guaranteed to sell out quickly from Paul Stolper’s gallery. The price starts at £20,000 and that’s without VAT! But for art collectors who are fans of Eno, a purchase might be seen more as an investment in a unique and valuable piece of art.

paulstolper-brian-eno-turntable-ii-2024-2-topaz-scaled-1.jpeg

paulstolper-brian-eno-turntable-ii-2024-topaz-scaled-1.jpeg

Art, sure, but I mostly wanted to eat cake when I saw that record player.:p

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

Brian Eno takes you into his colourful imagination with Turntable II

Brian Eno's colourful Turntable II turntable isn't just exciting. It costs a fortune and there are only 150 of them in existence.

Renowned musician and artist Brian Eno has launched a new, hypnotic creation: the Turntable II. A tool for playing vinyl records, sure. But more than that, it’s a work of art in its own right. A colourful light show designed to capture the eye and seduce the senses....

View attachment 350811

Technical info

On the technical side, the Turntable II has a 30 cm diameter, a precision cast acrylic top, a white Pro-Ject 8.6″ aluminium arm and an Ortofon 2M White pickup. It’s belt-driven with a 15V motor and supports both 33 and 45 rpm speeds.

However, you’re unlikely to buy a Turntable II for its sonic qualities, as it will face competition from other players at a tenth of the price. But for millionaires looking for something unique for their collection, why not.

As with the original Turntable, the Turntable II will be produced in limited numbers. Only 150 units will be produced worldwide and are guaranteed to sell out quickly from Paul Stolper’s gallery. The price starts at £20,000 and that’s without VAT! But for art collectors who are fans of Eno, a purchase might be seen more as an investment in a unique and valuable piece of art.

View attachment 350812

View attachment 350813

Art, sure, but I mostly wanted to eat cake when I saw that record player.:p
The worst excesses of unicorn puke, gamer RGB on a turntable. :oops:

Top Bottom