• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

JP

Major Contributor
A motor spinning at 33/45 is really quiet. Typically no noisier than the bearing itself.

dr0ss

You don't screw thick speaker cables into the DINs, I can promise that it won't work.:);)
Last winter I connected some speakers to a vintage B&O receiver with DIN connectors and 12ga cable, since that's what I had lying around. It worked, but I had to bend back some of the cable strands at the connector end.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Last winter I connected some speakers to a vintage B&O receiver with DIN connectors and 12ga cable, since that's what I had lying around. It worked, but I had to bend back some of the cable strands at the connector end.
There is also a way to do it. I put thin cables on the DIN connectors and then soldered on thicker cables (as seen in picture in #821).

If you want to tinker with some cheap mini-project mostly for fun, you can replace the DIN speaker connectors and put a modern ditto instead. In that case, I would really make sure that no metal chips got into the amplifier if I drilled new holes in the amp. It could probably be quite unhealthy if they fell into the amp board. Short circuit as a result?(I don't know, I'm just guessing now).:oops:
An overkill solution if you only plug in speaker cables once, but still.:)

Edit:
But there are other solutions. I saw this now. It seems that thicker, "normal" speaker cables can be screwed into the connectors (or it just seems that way).
Search "DIN to banana speaker connector" and different solutions will appear.
s-l1600 (5).jpg

Last edited:

AdrianusG

iu

iu

I have this one, Akai A-PM7 lineair direct drive (built by Technics) Images are from web, so not mine but i have the same one.
IF i were into Vinyl as much as i'm into digital I would probably try to find/buy the same Technics as you have, a Technics SL-10 or an SL-7 (in good technical and cosmetic shape) would be all the TT i would ever need or want.
But like i said , i only use vinyl occasionally, so i'll stick with the one i have, it;s in perfect working order, and sounds pretty good, i paid just 100 Euro's for it 4 years ago.

Will post picture(s) of my own one shortly.

Last edited:

AaronJ

And a separate sun. Ours has spots.

To be honest, I'm not sure solar power is suitable for True Audiophiles at all. Sound might be veiled very often (depends on your location though).
I could actually see this becoming a thing with a battery system.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Man, does every discussion about vinyl stir up the SINAD Flies?

You are one of the ten plagues, I am sure.

Just think it's funny that those particular turntables, made to be shiny sculptural lumps, requiring a dedicated house maid 24/7 to keep dust and fingerprints away, are also always presenting themselves as being the epitome of performance, while in reality they are nothing of the sorts.

I perfectly understand that talking about high performing turntables is like comparing the effectiveness of different hammers, when nail guns have been around for ages. It's never about SINAD, even though many people claim it is.

I also understand that this thread, much like the "beautiful speaker"-one, is largely about looks, and that's fine.

So don't mind me, and keep the pictures coming :D

AdrianusG

Speaking of Luxor. I saw a young girl who carried a Luxor Dirigent (Luxor Conductor) up to her apartment last summer.Luxor Dirigent was an all in one solution
,a receiver and record player together. Common in the 1970s, mostly for those who wanted sound but didn't care about HiFi. There were loads of them at flea markets a number of years ago. Now I hardly see any of them. Presumably, it is young people who have fallen for the vinyl craze who bought them.:)

Here's a Luxor Dirigent, model 3000. Maybe not the sexiest audio gadget, but it was (and the ones left) in many homes::)
View attachment 347323

Then that girl had to tinker with getting DIN speaker connectors together. Not that difficult, but it's a bit fiddly because it's so small. For those of you who don't know what it looks like, check the attached pictures. DIN next to modern banana plug.You don't screw thick speaker cables into the DINs, I can promise that it won't work.:);)
"Maybe not the sexiest audio gadget,"

maybe not, but i still like it:)

AdrianusG

The heyday of analog is long gone. Will it come back? Probably not. At least as some of us remember it. But who knows? Back in the day, Denon covered all the bases. From the entry level DP-30 (an excellent low priced deck) to the over the top DP-100 (that no one could ever afford). From an analog standpoint you can say that it is a shame that the Japanese majors (Sony/JVC/Denon) were unable to continue their investigations into direct drive, servo tonearms, and so on.

For their part, what Denon now offers is a mere shadow of their prior self. I'm not complaining, since their new deck is a step in the 'right' direction. But in important ways it is really not as sophisticated as what they were offering forty years ago.
Agree,

That is the saddest part, 40 years ago they were more advanced, go figure:(

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
"Maybe not the sexiest audio gadget,"

maybe not, but i still like it:)
Well, way not. She looked content and happy anyway. She was probably not a HiFi freak. A record player, 17 watt amp and a pair of speakers. There will be sound in any case.:)

Speaking of looks. Performance aside, I'd rather take the Luxor Model 3000 than this Kuzma below, which looks too goddamn overly flashy.:rolleyes:
Bad taste, I think. I am probably, for natural reasons, influenced by Nordic, Scandinavian minimalism, hence my view on:
(reminds a bit of steam punk, which in its weirdness can be fun in and of itself :))
3.jpg
5.jpg
DN4Ih4JXkAEOt5t.jpg_large.jpg

Last edited:

AdrianusG

I really like these and have owned a few over the years, couldn’t afford one when I was a lad of course,
I think iit is the ultimate distillation of TT design.View attachment 313798

Keith
Yep,

That's the one i would go for as well (if i really were into Vinyl as musch as i'm into digital)
might still buy one, just as an investment, they are getting rare and ever more expensive, especially the ones in good technical and cosmetic state.

AdrianusG

Well, way not. She looked content and happy anyway. She was probably not a HiFi freak. A record player, 16 watt amp and a pair of speakers. There will be sound in any case.:)

Speaking of looks. Performance aside, I'd rather take the Luxorn Model 3000 than this Kuzma below, which looks too goddamn overly flashy. Bad taste, I think. I am probably, for natural reasons, influenced by Nordic, Scandinavian minimalism, hence my view on:
View attachment 347943View attachment 347944View attachment 347945

"Speaking of looks. Performance aside, I'd rather take the Luxorn Model 3000 than this Kuzma below"

totally agree!

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
It was good of you to point that out. My intention with the thread was and is that it's fun to see some pictures of record players, but with that said, it doesn't mean that every post has to contain pictures. You should be able to comment on what is shown.As long as you stay on track and don't deviate too much and start waffling about unrelated things like how to solder wires to DIN speaker connectors ;) (I apologize for that :)).

Generally speaking, OT being or not being in threads is a classic topic of debate in all types of forums.

Silver Ear

New to posting here but I’ve been enjoying this thread and thought I’d share my setup.
Linn Sondek LP12 with Ittok, Karousel, Denon DL-103R, Cinemag SUT, Lingo 1, sitting on Audio Technica isolation feet:

IMG_6851.jpeg

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
iu

iu

I have this one, Akai A-PM7 lineair direct drive (built by Technics) Images are from web, so not mine but i have the same one.
IF i were into Vinyl as much as i'm into digital I would probably try to find/buy the same Technics as you have, a Technics SL-10 or an SL-7 (in good technical and cosmetic shape) would be all the TT i would ever need or want.
But like i said , i only use vinyl occasionally, so i'll stick with the one i have, it;s in perfect working order, and sounds pretty good, i paid just 100 Euro's for it 4 years ago.

Will post picture(s) of my own one shortly.
SL7 is easy to fix, few screws and easy access to everything. SL10 is a little nightmare... But when they are working, you don't want another turntable.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I thought this was an interesting story. Can be a successful strategy:

Delavan-based Sota Turntables relies on local materials and a suspended design to distinguish its record players from competitors

Christan Griego: ...
I think the next generation, the younger generation, is wanting something more tangible than just streaming on digital. And when you drop a needle down and you listen to an entire side of a record, it’s a different experience than streaming and jumping around from song to song or sound bite to sound bite.

KAK: How do you go about building turntables? Walk us through the process a bit.

CG
: We actually have an entire woodshop now where we do a “farm to turntable” plan. When there’s a storm locally, like in Palmyra a few years back, we were able to harvest a lot of trees that were blown over. And from those, we saved them from turning into firewood.

We go to a local mill and have them mill the wood and have it kiln-dried. Then from there, we will process the wood in-house and get it to our finished size. We do everything in-house on the woodworking side. We have a shop that does all the metalworking.

Here is one of their models:
sapphire-02-light.jpg

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Well, way not. She looked content and happy anyway. She was probably not a HiFi freak. A record player, 17 watt amp and a pair of speakers. There will be sound in any case.:)

Speaking of looks. Performance aside, I'd rather take the Luxor Model 3000 than this Kuzma below, which looks too goddamn overly flashy.:rolleyes:
Bad taste, I think. I am probably, for natural reasons, influenced by Nordic, Scandinavian minimalism, hence my view on:
(reminds a bit of steam punk, which in its weirdness can be fun in and of itself :))
View attachment 347943View attachment 347944View attachment 347945

Too bad the Kuzma speed performance is lousy, one of the worst turntable speeds I have ever measured. No matter how Heavy the platter is it cannot correct a inadequate belt, or maybe it is the bearing that cannot stand the weight?

Last edited:

dr0ss

If you want to tinker with some cheap mini-project mostly for fun, you can replace the DIN speaker connectors and put a modern ditto instead.
One point in owning vintage gear is to keep it as true to original condition as possible.

Top Bottom