• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

News flash: First " new fundamental technology in audio since the 1970's"

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mark has always been the consummate salesman. I guess that over the years he's sold it all. Often times whatever he sold today contradicted what he was selling yesterday. But audiophiles have poor memory, and he always had an explanation for any of life's audio related discrepancies.

Did buyers get their money's worth? One thing's for sure, they got something no one else at the time (or few else) were selling.

Mark went from "You have to have a pro audio solution for your front end (LNP-2)" to, "No, that's not right, you need total minimalism"--the ML6 preamp (you needed two, in four boxes, for stereo). Each featuring a source selector and a volume pot.

Then he began selling the most insane EQ/preamp anyone could have ever imagined, because all those bad recordings required individual EQ! Sure, it was expensive, and even his old MLAS customers had a hard time relating to his new price sheet. But it wasn't like you didn't get something for your dollar--I mean, I never encountered a rotary knob on a preamp that used precision ball bearing races--at least before the Cello stuff. Those pots alone probably cost as much most folk's entire system.

Then there was 'consumer union' Mark. The Red Rose days, where he'd sell the 'average music lover' a rebranded 'value oriented' Chinese import.

During that time, Mark had an idea that listening to digital audio caused a physiological breakdown of one's precious bodily fluids. To counter, he proposed refurbishing high-end Nakamichi cassette decks, and as part of the total package would sell customers compact cassettes, of music he recorded from his specially modded Studer A80 master tapes. Think about that for a minute. 30 ips dubbed down to 1 7/8 ips. Not many would have had the intelligence to come up with that as a solution to the 'digital problem'.

As much as I can't ever relate to his thing, I don't mind. He's been both entertaining and, to my way of thinking, has maintained a kind of consistency throughout his career (not counting the sex book with Kim Cantrell--that seemed like a one off, and in any case was too over the top for me to read--besides, my guess is that I'd get more tactile stim from manipulating ball bearing races on an expensive preamp, than a romp with an ex MILF--but that's just me).

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get lost with this claim, where does the original musical information come from to fill in the spaces?

" Daniel Hertz C Wave fills in the spaces of the PCM digital audio waveform with original musical information - not sound effects - which enables the brain to respond like to pure analog., with no fatigue or stress reaction."
O my good . What spaces :) these guys peddling to the myth of “stair-steps” and the myth of timing in digital being 1/fs
And all other boogie men you can call forth . Totally bizarre anything “between” is simply higher frequencies than 1/2 the samplerate? Do they throw in random ultrasound junk into the signal :p

notsodeadlizard

Mark has always been the consummate salesman. I guess that over the years he's sold it all. Often times whatever he sold today contradicted what he was selling yesterday. But audiophiles have poor memory, and he always had an explanation for any of life's audio related discrepancies.

Did buyers get their money's worth? One thing's for sure, they got something no one else at the time (or few else) were selling.

Mark went from "You have to have a pro audio solution for your front end (LNP-2)" to, "No, that's not right, you need total minimalism"--the ML6 preamp (you needed two, in four boxes, for stereo). Each featuring a source selector and a volume pot.

Then he began selling the most insane EQ/preamp anyone could have ever imagined, because all those bad recordings required individual EQ! Sure, it was expensive, and even his old MLAS customers had a hard time relating to his new price sheet. But it wasn't like you didn't get something for your dollar--I mean, I never encountered a rotary knob on a preamp that used precision ball bearing races--at least before the Cello stuff. Those pots alone probably cost as much most folk's entire system.

Then there was 'consumer union' Mark. The Red Rose days, where he'd sell the 'average music lover' a rebranded 'value oriented' Chinese import.

During that time, Mark had an idea that listening to digital audio caused a physiological breakdown of one's precious bodily fluids. To counter, he proposed refurbishing high-end Nakamichi cassette decks, and as part of the total package would sell customers compact cassettes, of music he recorded from his specially modded Studer A80 master tapes. Think about that for a minute. 30 ips dubbed down to 1 7/8 ips. Not many would have had the intelligence to come up with that as a solution to the 'digital problem'.

As much as I can't ever relate to his thing, I don't mind. He's been both entertaining and, to my way of thinking, has maintained a kind of consistency throughout his career (not counting the sex book with Kim Cantrell--that seemed like a one off, and in any case was too over the top for me to read--besides, my guess is that I'd get more tactile stim from manipulating ball bearing races on an expensive preamp, than a romp with an ex MILF--but that's just me).
Yes, I would like to believe that he still came up with something besides these cute branded modules with a primitive stuffing (it's LNP-2 inside, each module is extremely simple and even typical schematics):

Levinson LNP-2 internal 2.jpg

I want to believe, but it doesn't work

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to believe, but it doesn't work
I don't believe. However, I admit to being pretty amazed at some of the stuff he came up with, to sell. We should remember that Mark was the salesman, and wasn't really responsible for the circuits.

I read somewhere that when Richard Burwen saw what Mark and Tom Colangelo had done with his Palette design, he couldn't relate to it at all. Because of the sheer build quality and expense. But if you are going to sell someone a half million dollar system, that's what it's got to look like.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have no idea what this is about.

But I do postulate that we have far to go in audio's future. Connecting the dots, we have hugely improved recording, mixing, mastering, and media. But repeatedly having to return audio back to conventional analog signals -- when digital is better, quieter, more accurate, and improving each day...

When will we have standards and conventions for digital interconnects between downstream devices?

Today, we take an analog microphone signal of very good quality, convert it to digital, mix it, record/file it, master it, distribute it on digital media, select it, stream it, convert it to a questionable analog replica, analog amplify and control it, analog power amplify it, and force feed it to an electromechanical device in an acoustical environment, where our ears are supposed to recognize it as music.

At each analog juncture, we must wrestle with different transfer functions that muck up analog signals, add noise, and funnel it down a wire.

Is there no hope for an all-high-resolution, high-accuracy digital transfer that takes audio from the microphone output to the speaker input without all of the error-prone analog signal issues? Think about it. I know we currently don't know how, but we could know how.

Uh oh, here come the analog archbishops swinging slabs of plastic incense burners...

iu

;)

Philbo King

Don't forget to get a Hard Rock Maple volume knob so its extra inertia prevents the speaker vibrations from affecting the volume knob setting. Oh yeah, and don't forget these cryonic superconductor power cables. Only $70000 each!

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Ooh - does it fill the empty spaces with cold hard cash?
I highly suspect that this scheme will fill their pockets with our cold hard cash! Is that not the point of inventing a fix for a problem that does not exist. :rolleyes:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I have no idea what this is about.

But I do postulate that we have far to go in audio's future. Connecting the dots, we have hugely improved recording, mixing, mastering, and media. But repeatedly having to return audio back to conventional analog signals -- when digital is better, quieter, more accurate, and improving each day...

When will we have standards and conventions for digital interconnects between downstream devices?

Today, we take an analog microphone signal of very good quality, convert it to digital, mix it, record/file it, master it, distribute it on digital media, select it, stream it, convert it to a questionable analog replica, analog amplify and control it, analog power amplify it, and force feed it to an electromechanical device in an acoustical environment, where our ears are supposed to recognize it as music.

At each analog juncture, we must wrestle with different transfer functions that muck up analog signals, add noise, and funnel it down a wire.

Is there no hope for an all-high-resolution, high-accuracy digital transfer that takes audio from the microphone output to the speaker input without all of the error-prone analog signal issues? Think about it. I know we currently don't know how, but we could know how.

Uh oh, here come the analog archbishops swinging slabs of plastic incense burners...

iu

;)
There are already amps that convert PCM direct to PWM directly controlling a class D power stage without a separate DAC in sight. Not that good at the moment compared with hypex/purify - but on the way.

And I hate to break it to you - at some point, even if it as at the digital to air interface (or even digital to brain interface), conversion to analogue is an essential part of the problem. ;)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I've watched that video 3 or 4 times and I believe I have a basic understanding which is one of the reasons I was confused by the claims of "filling in spaces".
I think I might watch it again... just because.

Capitol C

Daniel Hertz. Related to that Hertz, do you think?
View attachment 267051

Maybe the family name used to be Cyclespersecond, and they changed it when they got to the New World?
Hope he doesn't have a brother named Richard "Dick" Hertz. youch!

Thank you, thank you. I'm here 'til Thursday. Try the veal. Don't forget to tip your server!
:cool:
Ahh, Dick Hertz. When I lived in the Boston area, I knew a Dick Hertz from Holden, just a bit north of Worcester.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Ahh, Dick Hertz. When I lived in the Boston area, I knew a Dick Hertz from Holden, just a bit north of Worcester.
We lived for a long time in Harvard (the town, not the college), not far from either.
(it's a small state) :cool:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Oh.
Now that they've got continuous wave (CW) technology all worked out, any truth to the rumor that Dick Hertz umm, I mean Daniel Hertz, is gonna tackle the next audiophile frontier -- single sideband (SSB)?

;) :cool: :facepalm:
(sorry.... sorry!)

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
I have a couple of thoughts on this. First, if you want pure analog sound, play a record. Second, if I pay 200K for an amp, that g*dd*m thing better make my coffee and give me a blow....oh, never mind.

JRS

Major Contributor
Amazing, isn't it? Some smart people lived back then. Or maybe they were just smart in comparison to some of the "great" audio minds of today...

O my good . What spaces :) these guys peddling to the myth of “stair-steps” and the myth of timing in digital being 1/fs
And all other boogie men you can call forth . Totally bizarre anything “between” is simply higher frequencies than 1/2 the samplerate? Do they throw in random ultrasound junk into the signal :p
Come on, everything prefers a nice ramp--even electrons whose material existence seems prone to flutter prefers a smooth transition vs those quantum leaps Bohr and bro's insisted upon. What's really chilling is that not only.is space now granular, so too is time. Imagine the horror of having your granules in space out of sync with those in time. Be a definite coarsening of the midrange and ze loss of imaging definition.

Chaconne

In my working days, I once worked on a promotional campaign for a cat litter called Mighty Cat. Don't know whether this new Mighty Cat will have similar scatological connections.

Ricardus

Brilliant marketing to price it under $200K. I'll be able to buy two of them at that price- one for the main house and one for the beach house.
One of the people in the comments was saying "they bought one for their 2nd house..."

Top Bottom