• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

News flash: First " new fundamental technology in audio since the 1970's"

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't find anything about this new technology outside the market speak of Daniel Hertz website. Wondering if anyone here has an inkling what they're on about?

"Mark Levinson and his team of Daniel Hertz audio engineers have developed a new class of audio chips with embedded C-wave (continuous wave) software called Mighty Cat. Mighty Cat, combined with new Daniel Hertz audio architecture and speakers, are the first products to deliver the experience of pure analog from any digital source, including streaming"

Heck of a deal for $200,000

OP
J

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get lost with this claim, where does the original musical information come from to fill in the spaces?

" Daniel Hertz C Wave fills in the spaces of the PCM digital audio waveform with original musical information - not sound effects - which enables the brain to respond like to pure analog., with no fatigue or stress reaction."

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I get lost with this claim, where does the original musical information come from to fill in the spaces?

" Daniel Hertz C Wave fills in the spaces of the PCM digital audio waveform with original musical information - not sound effects - which enables the brain to respond like to pure analog., with no fatigue or stress reaction."

I'm glad they finally solved the huge gaping hole problem with PCM a century later, after Nyquist, Shannon and others proved that it doesn't exist.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Daniel Hertz. Related to that Hertz, do you think?
1677246764583.jpeg

Maybe the family name used to be Cyclespersecond, and they changed it when they got to the New World?
Hope he doesn't have a brother named Richard "Dick" Hertz. youch!

Thank you, thank you. I'm here 'til Thursday. Try the veal. Don't forget to tip your server!
:cool:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Since the 'experience of pure analog' is wow, flutter and noise (tape hiss or surface noise) I can only guess that their magic box includes a bunch of DSP to add this to the audio coming in.
The irony is (ahem would be) palpable. ;)

I'm glad they finally solved the huge gaping hole problem with PCM a century later, after Nyquist, Shannon and others proved that it doesn't exist.
Didn't them dudes, technically, solve that problem (at least when it comes to audio signal storage, processing, and reproduction) before, practically speaking, it even happened? ;)

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't them dudes, technically, solve that problem (at least when it comes to audio signal storage, processing, and reproduction) before, practically speaking, it even happened? ;)

Amazing, isn't it? Some smart people lived back then. Or maybe they were just smart in comparison to some of the "great" audio minds of today...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

This video should help you if you've not already seen it. Very well worth the watch, and fully answers how that question has already been answered - since before digital audio existed:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Can you switch the experience?

Lets say

Level 1
1) poor vinyl
2) poor tape

Level 2
1) poor vinyl over poor tube amp
2) poor tape over poor tube amp

Level 3
1) poor vinyl over poor tube amp into vintage poor horns?

I need the complete experience!

OP
J

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This video should help you if you've not already seen it. Very well worth the watch, and fully answers how that question has already been answered - since before digital audio existed:

I've watched that video 3 or 4 times and I believe I have a basic understanding which is one of the reasons I was confused by the claims of "filling in spaces".

notsodeadlizard

I can't find anything about this new technology outside the market speak of Daniel Hertz website. Wondering if anyone here has an inkling what they're on about?

"Mark Levinson and his team of Daniel Hertz audio engineers have developed a new class of audio chips with embedded C-wave (continuous wave) software called Mighty Cat. Mighty Cat, combined with new Daniel Hertz audio architecture and speakers, are the first products to deliver the experience of pure analog from any digital source, including streaming"

Heck of a deal for $200,000

"Daniel Hertz C Wave fills in the spaces of the PCM digital audio waveform with original musical information - not sound effects - which enables the brain to respond like to pure analog., with no fatigue or stress reaction"

uh-huh

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lest we get too fixated on one particular bit of advertising fluff, let's see what we've got here:

4-channels of Hypex UcD400 power
4-way electronic crossover
"Tunable" headphone amp - suggests DSP can be user-adjusted?
Wifi/BT/USB connectivity
All in a single box requiring one power outlet.

If "Mighty Cat" is some fancy LG audio processing unit, more power to them for bringing it into the listening room.

Dunno about those speaker connectors and skinny wire, but suppose that L, C and R can be taken into account.

Speakers are by far the biggest-ticket item in this package.

notsodeadlizard

OK, I'll not mock.
" It is a DAC with an analog power output..." - https://danielhertz.com/collections/amplifiers/products/maria-50

Now it becomes more interesting why the respected John Broskie (suddenly) fantasized about an interesting combination of high output voltage MDAC with a unity gain buffer:

But it is strange why this new company with such a bright claim and with such a name is not here:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've watched that video 3 or 4 times and I believe I have a basic understanding which is one of the reasons I was confused by the claims of "filling in spaces".
Well, then yes.

It is clearly more snake oil hokum.

radix

Major Contributor
What's kind of funny, is they offer a payment plan: "$199,999.99 or 12 payments of $16,666.66"

I guess that's for stupid rich, but not quite stupid filthy rich.

Top Bottom