• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie needs DAC/AMP suggestions, please help!

Zavvo

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and audiophile stuff in general.

I have used a Sound BlasterX G6 as my desktop audio solution for the last couple of years.
And it have served me well, but it just straight up stopped working a couple of days ago.
That and my new found interest in most audiophile subjects made me think that, maybe it's time I get some
proper quality equipment instead.

I use both IEMs and headphones (Sennheiser HD 58X) and want something that works for both kinds without hopefully adding much noise or hiss and also with potential to drive higher ohms headphones etc. In the future.

I try to keep my desk setup somewhat minimalistic and have therefore been thinking of getting an all-in-one DAC/AMP instead of a stack, to keep it as clean looking as possible. But if a separate AMP and DAC stack would be more appropriate, then I'll gladly take suggestions for that too.

I have seen some hype around the new Topping EX5 but I don't know if its right for my needs?

My budget tops out around 400 to 500 Euro.

I'm sorry for any spelling/grammatical errors, English isn't my first language.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think just as we about any of the headphone amplifiers and DACs from companies like JDS labs, Schiit, Topping etc within your price range will do. Check power output, any of features you want and which ones look nice and have good deals.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Hello everyone!

I'm sorry for any spelling/grammatical errors, English isn't my first language.

I'll tell you a secret.
Most Americans can't tell if it's bad grammar or bad spelling and wouldn't care to notice anyways.

Most people measure distance by landmarks such as Walmarts , Taco Bells or McDonalds here.

However, I greatly appreciate the metric system. truthfully, the only reason why most people understand or know fractions is because that's how they sell drugs in America. Had I done the same, I would have been better at math.

About your question.

You said the soundblaster died after a few years? How so?
this may indicate a bigger problem. before you upgrade or attach anything else I'd like to ask you how old is your power supply in your current computer?

I'm more of a computer geek then an audiofile so I'm kind of wondering how your external unit actually died? It's not normal for a sound card to just go dead on a computer after such a short time. Are you sure it's not just a driver update or something Software(Windows or Mac) update related?

The headphones that you listed are pretty easy to drive so I don't imagine that being an issue.

If 2 Channel audio is primarily what you listen to, you really can't go wrong with anything Topping. Plug-and-play. Works in just about any operating system. It just keeps chugging away without a hiccup unlike my experience with some PC / Gaming / Multimedia focused Audio or Pro gear.

And it has a really nice aesthetic / design Language. That's important to me.
But the fact I can't hear ANYTHING when the music is paused? No Hiss. No noise of any kind. No Weird jitter or crap in my systems? No Crashing or rebooting? Even works when you place it in the summer sunlight without a complaint?

Hard to go wrong with Topping whatever model you choose.

I'm no golden ear, but when something works like a Toyota, costs like a Kia, looks like a Chrysler, and feels like a Lexus? You won the Lottery.

Asus Xonar at this point is my second personal choice for PC audio. But even then. Topping often spanks it in spec and looks for the $200 price point. You also don't have to worry about some kind of driver issue that is going to brick the device like you would with the Creative Labs parts or some of the Asus Parts which will eventually go to end of life.

Once that happens? Good luck with support. (Creative labs sued one dude for making improvements to the driver) ASUS may just send DMCA's after you. Yang would probably write you a thank you letter.

Having the YangMan himself here on ASR? Can it get any better than that?

Better yet? If you do have a problem? You won't deal with my cousins on the phone. That alone should be enough. :)

OP
Z

Zavvo

I'll tell you a secret.
Most Americans can't tell if it's bad grammar or bad spelling and wouldn't care to notice anyways.

Most people measure distance by landmarks such as Walmarts , Taco Bells or McDonalds here.

However, I greatly appreciate the metric system. truthfully, the only reason why most people understand or know fractions is because that's how they sell drugs in America. Had I done the same, I would have been better at math.

About your question.

You said the soundblaster died after a few years? How so?
this may indicate a bigger problem. before you upgrade or attach anything else I'd like to ask you how old is your power supply in your current computer?

I'm more of a computer geek then an audiofile so I'm kind of wondering how your external unit actually died? It's not normal for a sound card to just go dead on a computer after such a short time. Are you sure it's not just a driver update or something Software(Windows or Mac) update related?

The headphones that you listed are pretty easy to drive so I don't imagine that being an issue.

If 2 Channel audio is primarily what you listen to, you really can't go wrong with anything Topping. Plug-and-play. Works in just about any operating system. It just keeps chugging away without a hiccup unlike my experience with some PC / Gaming / Multimedia focused Audio or Pro gear.

And it has a really nice aesthetic / design Language. That's important to me.
But the fact I can't hear ANYTHING when the music is paused? No Hiss. No noise of any kind. No Weird jitter or crap in my systems? No Crashing or rebooting? Even works when you place it in the summer sunlight without a complaint?

Hard to go wrong with Topping whatever model you choose.

I'm no golden ear, but when something works like a Toyota, costs like a Kia, looks like a Chrysler, and feels like a Lexus? You won the Lottery.

Asus Xonar at this point is my second personal choice for PC audio. But even then. Topping often spanks it in spec and looks for the $200 price point. You also don't have to worry about some kind of driver issue that is going to brick the device like you would with the Creative Labs parts or some of the Asus Parts which will eventually go to end of life.

Once that happens? Good luck with support. (Creative labs sued one dude for making improvements to the driver) ASUS may just send DMCA's after you. Yang would probably write you a thank you letter.

Having the YangMan himself here on ASR? Can it get any better than that?

Better yet? If you do have a problem? You won't deal with my cousins on the phone. That alone should be enough. :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with my power supply tbh. It's a be quiet! straight power 11 that's only 2 years old. But, I'm in the process of slowly upgrading my PC, so it might be replaced sometime this year anyway. I honestly have no clue why the G6 isn't working, I've tried other usb ports, different cables...but nothing. And it's not my motherboard/other usb ports either, because everything else works just fine.

I've been looking at the FiiO K5 Pro as a true "budget" friendly option and some people have suggested the JDS Labs Element II, but it seems a bit pricey considering everything. I really like the looks and specs of the Topping EX5 and it's probably number 1 on my list right now.

Thanks for your input and suggestions, I appreciate it :)

Top Bottom