• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Yamaha RX-A4A, 6A, 8A

cochlea

Forum Donor
Are these replacements for the RX-V*A series with the HDMI 2.1 issue?

SynthesisCinema

No, the RX-A line is their higher-end line compared to the RX-V line. Of most interest to me is that they've apparently upgraded YPAO and added more low-end control to it, since previously it's been very poor with bass correction.

Also:

AVENTAGE-based high-quality sound design with a completely redesigned circuit configuration
In order to reproduce the silence and energy contained in the sound as it is, we have generously introduced high-quality parts selected based on the AVENTAGE standard, and redesigned the circuit configuration. The signal path is optimized by adopting a 4-layer board that enables ideal signal, power supply, and ground wiring in the preamplifier section. In addition, the power amplifier section is equipped with a custom-made transformer that separates the power supply windings of the current amplification section and the voltage amplification section. In addition to adopting a film capacitor made by German WIMA and a custom-made large-capacity block chemicon, it has achieved a high slew rate that is about twice that of the conventional model, dramatically improving signal tracking and stability. The reproducibility of audio signals including high frequencies such as high-resolution sound sources has been improved.

Hopefully we get to see either the A6A or A8A on @amirm desk later in the summer / fall ! :) The A4A is too similar to A1080 he owns so the higher more powerfull models with 9026 Pro DAC are more intresting. Perhaps Amir will then do the long waited YPAO review separate so we can see is it as effective as XT32.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have no idea if the pricing strategy is the same for the home market and the U.S. market, or whether the retail price in Japan has much meaning, but if you do a currency conversion, the RX-A is around $2,500 U.S. The features seem to synch up with this price. I'm mostly neutral about the aesthetics of this newer design that arrived a year or so ago, but I don't think it is a good aesthetic for a higher-end receiver. And even if it was lovely, many high-end buyers will simply not want something that looks the same as the low-end stuff.

MrPeabody

Also:

AVENTAGE-based high-quality sound design with a completely redesigned circuit configuration
In order to reproduce the silence and energy contained in the sound as it is, we have generously introduced high-quality parts selected based on the AVENTAGE standard, and redesigned the circuit configuration. The signal path is optimized by adopting a 4-layer board that enables ideal signal, power supply, and ground wiring in the preamplifier section. In addition, the power amplifier section is equipped with a custom-made transformer that separates the power supply windings of the current amplification section and the voltage amplification section. In addition to adopting a film capacitor made by German WIMA and a custom-made large-capacity block chemicon, it has achieved a high slew rate that is about twice that of the conventional model, dramatically improving signal tracking and stability. The reproducibility of audio signals including high frequencies such as high-resolution sound sources has been improved.

Hopefully we get to see either the A6A or A8A on @amirm desk later in the summer / fall ! :) The A4A is too similar to A1080 he owns so the higher more powerfull models with 9026 Pro DAC are more intresting. Perhaps Amir will then do the long waited YPAO review separate so we can see is it as effective as XT32.

I had also read this after translating the page to English. But I didn't read the part where they claim that some of the transformer windings support voltage amplification and other transformer windings support current amplification. Would be interesting to see a white paper where they explain how they managed to do this. Most likely some marketing person took a peek inside and asked what that big motor was doing in there, and when given the explanation that it was the power supply transformer and not a motor, the marketing person wanted to know why the wires weren't all the same size. Then came the explanation that while smaller wires are perfectly good for voltage but unable to carry much current, which requires bigger wires, the marketing person interpreted this to mean that some of the windings are for voltage and some of the windings are for current. I mean, how else do you explain something like this? I wonder how long it will take before someone on some audio forum will seriously tout the superiority of his Yamaha receiver on the basis of the transformer windings being separated into windings that are for voltage and windings that are for current.

RedHotFuzz

I'm looking for a complete HT makeover this summer, finally swapping my 58" Panasonic plasma that refuses to die with a 120" UST projector setup. Of course I need a new 4k-capable receiver. I had my eyes set on the new Onkyo RZ50, but Onkyo may be up in smoke before they actually ship any of the new models. Tragic. It appears Yamaha may be my only hope, given the HDMI chip problems with all the 2019/2020 receivers. I've owned a couple of Yamahas before my current Denon. I have to say I'm not a big fan of Yamaha's new "shiny plastic" design. We all know what a dust magnet that material is, and we all know what happens to that shiny plastic when you wipe off that dust with even the softest of all cloths.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I'm looking for a complete HT makeover this summer, finally swapping my 58" Panasonic plasma that refuses to die with a 120" UST projector setup. Of course I need a new 4k-capable receiver. I had my eyes set on the new Onkyo RZ50, but Onkyo may be up in smoke before they actually ship any of the new models. Tragic. It appears Yamaha may be my only hope, given the HDMI chip problems with all the 2019/2020 receivers. I've owned a couple of Yamahas before my current Denon. I have to say I'm not a big fan of Yamaha's new "shiny plastic" design. We all know what a dust magnet that material is, and we all know what happens to that shiny plastic when you wipe off that dust with even the softest of all cloths.
Welcome Aboard @RedHotFuzz.

EB1000

I've just put an order for the RX-A6A to replace my RX-A2070. It costs me £2000 in local currency, which is a great deal for a preorder (only the UK model is available here). I should arrive by September 1st. I really hope I did the right thing buying an unreleased product. I also hope Auro 3D will come quick w/o delay.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
I've just put an order for the RX-A6A to replace my RX-A2070. It costs me £2000 in local currency, which is a great deal for a preorder (only the UK model is available here). I should arrive by September 1st. I really hope I did the right thing buying an unreleased product. I also hope Auro 3D will come quick w/o delay.
Keep us informed of what you like more/less when you get the new model. I have a RX-A3060, and right now I’m leaning towards Denon for what appears to be better amps.

xcomp666

I am thinking about returning my Denon X4700H with this terrible HDMI adapter and get this Yamaha Rx-A6A( more powerful, more HDMI 2.1 ports, better customer service), But I’ve never had a Yamaha receiver before. I still have my concerns about Ypao room correction.

EB1000

I am thinking about returning my Denon X4700H with this terrible HDMI adapter and get this Yamaha Rx-A6A( more powerful, more HDMI 2.1 ports, better customer service), But I’ve never had a Yamaha receiver before. I still have my concerns about Ypao room correction.
Try to have the X4700H replaced with it's revised model. HDMI bug fixed, DAC upgraded. I wouldn't get the A6A until I see some measurements results and until they release a FW to add HDMI 2.1 and Auro 3D support. I decided to wait for the next Denon model, the X4800H with 8 HDMI 2.1 inputs and an upgraded version of Audyssey, as rumored.

Descartes

Major Contributor
What kind of problems have you had?

DrStranger

Found this thread and you mentioned buying one. How did it go? All good?

Also: I have received mixed info. Spoke to Yamaha customer service here in my country, said the RX-A4/A6/A8 is not affected with the HDMI issues and does not require HDMI board replacement, was it true for you as well? Because reading and looking at clip on YouTube it does not seems that the A4 was spared from HDMI board replacement.

I am looking at alternatives than waiting for Pionkyo releasing their products here in my country, Yamaha A4 is one of the alternatives but I can’t see any hot threads here showing someone bought them.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom