• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Wilson Audio Submerge subwoofer

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
These are going to sell, so there's some form of intelligence behind this product.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some folks maybe wonder about stuff like that but as long as their brand recognition and fame - DESPITE any kind of performance - is established they will go strong.
Here's how a super mainstream Hollywood movie gives the picture of the intellectual,successful in his life,philharmonic council member,music lover (Mahershala Ali playing G. H. Scott)
(admittedly with a nice collection of LP's)

View attachment 334475

(Julia Roberts-Leave the world behind)

So...

(fun fact,the source chosen is tuner :facepalm: )
Yeah, watched that last night. When I saw the vinyl collection, I was waiting for a glimpse of the sound system. Looks like the electronics and TT are all Mac, but never saw what the speakers were. See with the Raven (Crow?), they kind of went with the "Dark Academia" style of room decor which was interesting.

teched58

Hi

Usual fare for the HEA. Always keep in mind that this kind of expenditure you can get a complete HT endgame system for most rooms...
We (ASR) are definitely not the market for those, with our bent on performance and value seeking. The other side, those who believe that "Moh expensive = Moh Better" are lining up ... purse in hands... Waiting for S'Phile and TAS "reviews" ....:rolleyes:
... meanwhile @Pearljam5000 is waiting for Wilson Audio to make these available in aluminum, then and only then will he consider the Wilson Submerge, for his aluminum Genelec, eventual speakers ...:p

Happy Holidays

Peace.

I am waiting for Wilson's next subwoofer, which I hear is in development.

It costs $50,000 and is called the Wilson Jealous. That way all the commenters on SP can say: "You're just jealous you can't afford the Jealous."

Personally, I'm going to wait for the $100,000 Wilson Stupid.

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
Sufficient power below 20Hz can cause a lot of problems unless all the furniture is secured. Not sure how much movie content exists below 10Hz or even 15Hz. Definitely a diminishing returns proposition, especially at that price.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The $50K McIntosh sub tower looks like a bargain now lol
pasted image 0.png

MAB

Major Contributor
At least if isn't a Dayton Audio plate amp like their last sub.
Maybe they kitbashed the filter and volume controls from this:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Argh!
A cabinet, an amp with DSP crossover, it just all seems so unfair to me.
Subs are roll-your-own.
It's not that hard to "roll your own." Just buy a decent sub(s) like SVS or Rhythmik, set them in a reasonable place, get either Dirac on a PC, or a miniDSP Flex with Dirac, or just learn how to use REW and/or rePhase. It's easy, it's fun, and you have the satisfaction of knowing you are getting the absolute best sound possible at an affordable price for your sweat equity.

Definitely better than getting ripped off to the tune of BMW 3 series prices for a single 12" sub from the guys selling you that BMW quality paint job on an epoxy/mdf box the size of a dorm room refrigerator.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The Cerwin Vega "Earthquake" Speakers are my "fantasy subs". You get your money's worth. But I don't have the matching fantasy home theater to fit them into. Or, maybe one of those rotary subs, but hose are in another price bracket.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Best thing about this is that it tacitly acknowledges some objective things that they would never concede out loud. Their speakers were supposed to be perfect full-range.

Top Bottom