• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Subwoofer installed, help analyzing REW plots

D

Deleted member 65

Installed my first ever subwoofer and need help analyzing and optimizing my setup.

Reason I had to purchase the subwoofer is entirely to blame on my 4 year old granddaughter. Due to her dancing and running I had to save my floorstanders and replace them with my second setup monitor speakers which are more or less impossible to rollover.

1544631431557.png

1544631494519.png

Bought an Elac Sub 2050 subwoofer.

1544631682212.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Deleted member 65

Done some initial REW measurements, this is what they look like:

Without Sub installed :

1544638137552.png

Attachments

• 1544632041114.png
    1544632041114.png
    149.9 KB · Views: 185
OP
D

Deleted member 65

With Subwoofer installed (Blue) LP 70, Vol 50:

1544638031520.png

Attachments

• 1544633613747.png
    1544633613747.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 166
OP
D

Deleted member 65

Waterfall w sub:

1544639042293.png

Attachments

• 1544637259741.png
    1544637259741.png
    714.1 KB · Views: 125

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I find if I go to ‘graphs’ and hit the 1/48 smoothing button the plots are easier to look at.
Keith

Krunok

Major Contributor
With Subwoofer installed (Blue) LP 70, Vol 50:

View attachment 18709

If that is a single log sweep measurement taken from your listening position than it looks as your subwoofer is doing a good job. You would get much better picture if you make at least 5 log sweeps from various positions around your listening position, average them and apply 1/12 smoothing.

Or, even better, you can do a RTA sweep by moving the mic around your listening position. It's explained here.
This post will also give you a basic idea.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Both the mains and the sub are responding to the room in a similar way. Try moving the sub somewhere else to see if that tends to flatten things out a little.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Both the mains and the sub are responding to the room in a similar way. Try moving the sub somewhere else to see if that tends to flatten things out a little.

If this is a single log sweep measurement it cannot be flat be flat at any position. Single sweep would hardly be flat even with Room EQ in place.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
If this is a single log sweep measurement it cannot be flat be flat at any position. Single sweep would hardly be flat even with Room EQ in place.
What I am thinking is the sub and mains might respond differently with the sum being flatter than it is now. If the measurement method is deficient, use a different method.

Krunok

Major Contributor
What I am thinking is the sub and mains might respond differently with the sum being flatter than it is now. If the measurement method is deficient, use a different method.

You cannot rule out this position without proper measurement. When you look at the photo with that cornered wall and the door I doubt this can be any flatter without room EQ. But nothing can really be concluded from a single sweep.

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Thx all,

I'll do some more measurements tomorrow, not allowed to measure any more tonight.

Below you can see current setup, I'll see if I can replace the rack with a smaller one and have the sub in between the speakers.

1544648805381.png

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
That's a nice room. I bet there are piles of snow outside, something that doesn't happen here.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
You cannot rule out this position without proper measurement. When you look at the photo with that cornered wall and the door I doubt this can be any flatter without room EQ. But nothing can really be concluded from a single sweep.

I found moving my sub around made a huge difference. I used this: http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ if I heard the volume change as I stepped through the frequencies it gave me an indication of what was happening. The variation was audible, by definition. I don't have test equipment or a calibrated microphone and probably would not know how to use it if I had one. It's an unscientific trial and error process, but it produced results.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I found moving my sub around made a huge difference. I used this: http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ if I heard the volume change as I stepped through the frequencies it gave me an indication of what was happening. The variation was audible, by definition. I don't have test equipment or a calibrated microphone and probably would not know how to use it if I had one. It's an unscientific trial and error process, but it produced results.

Trial and error is a legit scientific process. :)
Your equipment would do even better if you measure it properly and do room EQ. I'm sure you can do it, it's not a rocket science.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Thx all,

I'll do some more measurements tomorrow, not allowed to measure any more tonight.

Below you can see current setup, I'll see if I can replace the rack with a smaller one and have the sub in between the speakers.

View attachment 18718

Your setup looks very nice and having fireplace between speakers is awesome! :)

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Subwoofer now moved into final position in between speakers. New smaller HiFi bench (Ikea!) installed to accomodate space for the subwoofer.

- Eight (8) new REW measurements, 1/12 smoothing applied.
- Low Pass set to 70 Hz.
- Volume set to 50.

Average SPL&Phase:

1544710726894.png

Krunok

Major Contributor
Subwoofer now moved into final position in between speakers. New smaller HiFi bench (Ikea!) installed to accomodate space for the subwoofer.

- Eight (8) new REW measurements, 1/12 smoothing applied.
- Low Pass set to 70 Hz.
- Volume set to 50.

Average SPL&Phase:

View attachment 18753

This is average of 8 log sweeps? Where was the mic in each position?

Top Bottom