• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Subwoofer installed, help analyzing REW plots

Krunok

Major Contributor
Assuming your measurement is correct I think you will need to apply DRC if you want flat response with the speakers in these positions.

OP
D

Deleted member 65

REW proposed filter:

1544711533599.png

OP
D

Deleted member 65

This is average of 8 log sweeps? Where was the mic in each position?

Yes, this is the average of 8 measurements, mic sitting in the same position for all measurements (Listening Position).

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Assuming your measurement is correct I think you will need to apply DRC if you want flat response with the speakers in these positions.

I'm using Roon, should I apply the REW proposed filter into Roon (convolution)?

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Not bad. YOu can make it even better using rePhase. Btw, try to limit your corrections up to 600Hz as there is really no need to correct after that.

rePhase? Where do I find that?

New filter, correct?

1544712002869.png

OP
D

Deleted member 65

What about current subwoofer setting:

Low pass 70 Hz & Volume 50?

Increase / Decrease?

Krunok

Major Contributor
I suggest you first make measurements with mic in different positions otherwise correction won't work properly.

Krunok

Major Contributor
If you don't want to mess with RTA then try to make 9 measurements as shown on this picture. One mesurement should be at the center and the other 8 on the corners. Then make an average. Measure separately left and right speaker response.

OP
D

Deleted member 65

If you don't want to mess with RTA then try to make 9 measurements as shown on this picture. One mesurement should be at the center and the other 8 on the corners. Then make an average. Measure separately left and right speaker response.

Thx, will do later ...

Krunok

Major Contributor
Thx, will do later ...

No problem. :)

Btw, I don't have experience with Roon so you should check if it can accept filters for each channel or it can have only one filter for both speakers. I also don't think Roon supports FIR filters so you better stick with REW filters and forgett rePhase for now.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wanting to strongly second @Krunok’s advice that the filter needs to be based on an average of multiple measurements from various positions at and around the listening position :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just wanting to strongly second @Krunok’s advice that the filter needs to be based on an average of multiple measurements from various positions at and around the listening position :)
I don't have a opinion either way but that seems to be the argument of the decade.
Single or multi position measurement for DRC?

Krunok

Major Contributor
I don't have a opinion either way but that seems to be the argument of the decade.
Single or multi position measurement for DRC?

I have made more than 100 mesaurements last week and have seen that if you move the mic 10cm away from the previous position you will get different measurement. The only practical way I have found is too make multiple measurements. Measurements I made with RTA had 80+ samples each and they correlated pretty well with the averaged log sweep measurements made at the same area as RTA. The more log sweeps you have the better the correlation. I have found that average of 9 log sweep measurements are almost always very well correlated with RTA measurements.

That being said, I don't consider myself an expert, I'm merely sharing my limited experience.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Quite similar to the current Audyssey measurement directions using 8 positions around the MLP. no further than 2' out.

Top Bottom