• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sony ES 8K AV Receiver Line STR-AZ7000ES STR-AZ5000ES STR-AZ3000ES STR-AZ1000ES

The Guy who cares

With the Coxial input for 7.1 Surround I will say the Bass and Dynamics seem to be improved. Bass is deeper and the Dynamics is if anything a little too much at times. When using Coxial input the Sony-az7000es in Pure Direct still works with 7.1 Surround and the Bass is even better. That's with running all speakers Full Range no Subs.I don't have any Subwoofers.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe you should start a blog.

AdamG

Safari “Troll” hunts available at reasonable rates
Forum Donor
Let’s all try and stay on topic. As a refresher the topic of this Thread is :

“New Sony ES 8K AV Receiver Line STR-AZ7000ES STR-AZ5000ES STR-AZ3000ES STR-AZ1000ES”​

If you wish to continue your conversation about Sharp TV’s you are more than welcome to start a separate Thread about that. Please and thank you for your understanding and cooperation. ;)

techsamurai

What's the deal with these? Reviewers are loving them and consider them the pinnacle of Home Theater and many of them have access to all kinds of equipment but the impressions of owners on this thread seem to point to showstopper issues which makes it really difficult to commit.

If the lineup has the best spatial presentation and also sounds great in stereo, it ought to be at the top of anyone's list including mine.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the deal with these? Reviewers are loving them and consider them the pinnacle of Home Theater and many of them have access to all kinds of equipment but the impressions of owners on this thread seem to point to showstopper issues which makes it really difficult to commit.

If the lineup has the best spatial presentation and also sounds great in stereo, it ought to be at the top of anyone's list including mine.

I think Sony dropped the ball by staying silent until release. I would have been the target customer, having been happy with the previous generation ZA5000ES but since I thought they pulled out of the market, I went a different direction relying on a Yamaha separates and Bose 901/JBL S2600 combo for my LCR to give a spatial presentation that shouldn’t work but does out of pure luck.

I missed out on a great B-stock deal on eBay but it seems that no one has measured its technical performance to date. Still, no one has sent in the new AMP10/Cinema40/50 either…. I suspect during the early pandemic we had a big upgrade cycle for home theater and with the economy being a bit subdued right now, the enthusiasm has dropped a bit.

techsamurai

Bose 901? How do they sound for movies? I grew up with 901s and a Sansui 9090db in a European home (different room acoustics) and I always in my mind compare the thrill of any system to that one.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bose 901? How do they sound for movies? I grew up with 901s and a Sansui 9090db in a European home (different room acoustics) and I always in my mind compare the thrill of any system to that one.
I have run JBL Synthesis speakers, JBL 708P’s. Dirac, YPAO, Audyssey, etc.

Since movies don’t need the very last bit of treble extension, the Bose 901’s physical limitations in the treble are not an issue. If you are listening solo, the Bose 901 is not the right choice. The precision is more important. If you are watching as a family, the diffuse soundfield works much better to me.

Specifically, I have a large sectional sofa with fits as many as 10 people (6 adults and 4 kids) and the width is such that the edges of the sofa are in line with the L and R. Instead of equilateral triangle, you essentially have a square.

In order to preserve reasonable sound across the room, I have gone unconventional with my setup. I use the Bose 901 as my L and R speakers which are stacked on top of the JBL S/2600. Rears are Bose 901 also. Atmos Front height and Atmos Rear Upfiring.

The JBL S2600 flanks the television as is run as a dual center channel. Since the S2600 has asymmetrical horns, it preserves a center image even at the extremes of the sofa. It shouldn’t work and you have a lot of comb filtering but in practice, it achieves exactly what I want. You get about 85% performance in every seat as opposed to 100% in the center and 25% at the edges.

IMG_8722.jpeg

IMG_8723.jpeg

IMG_8724.jpeg

mdharrington

Just thought I would add input after investigating the obnoxiously loud hiss on my AN1000 while using 360SSM as other posters have also reported.

This is only an issue on ARC when using my smart TV’s streaming apps. It is very annoying and extremely obvious. However any device passing through the receiver does not exhibit any hissing under SSM.

The ARC hissing is enough that I would not rely on any TV originated ATMOS. I will probably by an external Apple TV to replace the functions of my smart TV.

Just to be clear, any devices running through the receiver are clean and do not exhibit this. Just ARC….but it is fairy bad.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just thought I would add input after investigating the obnoxiously loud hiss on my AN1000 while using 360SSM as other posters have also reported.

This is only an issue on ARC when using my smart TV’s streaming apps. It is very annoying and extremely obvious. However any device passing through the receiver does not exhibit any hissing under SSM.

The ARC hissing is enough that I would not rely on any TV originated ATMOS. I will probably by an external Apple TV to replace the functions of my smart TV.

Just to be clear, any devices running through the receiver are clean and do not exhibit this. Just ARC….but it is fairy bad.

This is impressive troubleshooting. If ARC generates hiss, but a dedicated HDMI external output doesn’t, maybe the hiss is some sort of weird ground loop.

Does running the external output through the same ARC port have an issue?

Apple TV outputs PCM 7.1 and Atmos TrueHD. No DD+ which is classic for TV streaming apps.

This could be the reason why the reports of hiss are inconsistent! Nice job.

techsamurai

Oh, I just realized that you meant ARC as in the Arc/eArc HDMI port. I thought you mean Acoustic Room Correction :)

This may explain why reviewers didn't run into this issue. They are probably sporting Apple TV and connecting them directly to the AVR. Huge bummer for Sony TVs and their Google TV although I guess you can just as easily connect a Google TV to the AVR.

Oh, I just realized that you meant ARC as in the Arc/eArc HDMI port. I thought you mean Acoustic Room Correction :)

This may explain why reviewers didn't run into this issue. They are probably sporting Apple TV and connecting them directly to the AVR. Huge bummer for Sony TVs and their Google TV although I guess you can just as easily connect a Google TV to the AVR.
Its a nice "suggestion" - except I do not use ARC and have the audio buzz issue

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its a nice "suggestion" - except I do not use ARC and have the audio buzz issue

Can you do an experiment to see if different HDMI ports are any different? We see with HypeX amps differences between odd and even channels and maybe the CPU’s radiated EMI affects certain combinations of ports. Hard to know.

I used to think that the idea of AppleTV was useless in the world of today’s smart TVs. Then I read the killer app: there are no advertisements on the home page. That is worth the price of admission for me!

Can you do an experiment to see if different HDMI ports are any different? We see with HypeX amps differences between odd and even channels and maybe the CPU’s radiated EMI affects certain combinations of ports. Hard to know.

I used to think that the idea of AppleTV was useless in the world of today’s smart TVs. Then I read the killer app: there are no advertisements on the home page. That is worth the price of admission for me!
All 8 ports have the same issue, it is not an HDMI issue it is an issue on how Sony handles dead audio. I have had this since day one (and maybe one of the few critical reviews to continually point it out). The issue is the Sony does not know how to handle 'dead space' so it modulates on its own unique sound for 5-10 seconds (like a mini vacuum cleaner). So of course I had to remove menu clicks gets rid of 99% of the issue - but it will still exist say during those 'Hulu' ad break pauses, or during sudden silence in a movie (think of movies like the Quiet Place). A lot of reviewers here seem to give Sony a free pass - and I appreciate you stating it like it is. It exists - it frankly should not be acceptable, and Sony should be able to address it since the receiver is computer based and it is the receiver itself "injecting" the modulation on sudden audio drop outs.

I know the Sony US tech team is aware of how to make it occur, and unfortunately Japan says that it is "normal operation". Two things tell me for sure though that it is not normal:
#1 I have worked with several brands, this is not like a ground loop or speaker feedback which you "normally" can identify and mitigate. This is a receiver injecting its own audio because does not know what to do with sudden audio drop outs or cuts.

#2 My second AZ7000ES is MUCH better (received June 2023 (first unit received in early March 2023)) at not having as loud of audio feedback (the first unit was super loud and unbearable), this tells me that Sony is aware of the issue and in fact is improving manufacturing.

The issue is still there (and it is 'livable' like most people say), it also appears to affect users that use the height channels more so than users that only use surround channels. (or it is at least 'louder' if the height channels are in use). Sony bought back my first unit and chances are they will keep 'silently' fixing the issue, stating those first units are 'in spec' to avoid a mass exchange. So I encourage those that have those first extremely loud annoying units, to push for a buyback or exchange.

mdharrington

I do have height channels installed, that may have exacerbated the issue.
Even with ARC the hiss immediately goes away once you disable 360SSM.

I believe I may have made it even worse trying to correct lipsinc over ARC, I gave up on the audio delay (10ms increments is not granulated enough) and had to disable pass through and send DD+ from the TV. This I believe increased the SSM hiss even more.

I would bet that as stated above, Sony is mishandling the silence or quiet parts.

If you think about it the SSM is being used to project phantom speakers, it appears that in that state they idle at a minimum level, likely if any signal at all is detected.

If that assumption is correct a cut off filter for clipping low volumes (ie noise) to zero before SSM may correct the issue.

It could be in my case that my 4K blue ray player is clean and noise free, where my TV over ARC may have some level of noise due to a power issue.

These are all massive assumptions of course, I will experiment further to see if I got lucky with a clean HDMI signal.

The Guy who cares

I guess I must be luck with my Sony-az7000es Zero Hiss, Zero Hum, No HDMI Issues, except the Sony doesn't like the Panasonic-dp-ub9000 HDMI issues with that unit. As far as sound I'd say for movies it sounds identical to Yamaha Flagship Receivers but Better than Yamaha for Music. Is the Sony-az7000es worth the price "Nope" I think the 5000es model would save you money and sound identical. Oher things I don't like about the Sony-az7000es is it has no Eco Mode for those using it as s Processor as I do. No Pre Amp Mode either which would be almost the same as Eco Mode. Yamaha Receivers at least have the Eco Mode. My best experience with the Sony str-az7000es is for listening to Music. The Sony does an excellent job here.

Last edited:

anarchist

Curios, why Sony removed DLNA support from current AV receivers? And at the same time forgot to remove this option from manuals?

The Guy who cares

Well there was a break in the heat a couple days ago so I was able to turn on the Sony-az7000ES for a few hours. I just watched Streaming Shows. What surprised me was the audio was perfect, perfect in the way the sound didn't distract from the content. Everything was natural real to life. To me that's exactly what I want. I don't want the audio to stand out like a sore thumb.

Top Bottom