• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

kaopad999

I used D03 before. And now I'm testing it against A30a and A300/AO200.
The SMSL VMV A2 and Sabaj A30a are identical products with a few exceptions.
that's excellent to hear. look forward your thoughts

godsmack50

I would also like to buy a smsl a300 instead of my Aiyima D03 because of its too small display , but I don't know if it's a good idea, is the A300 as good sounding ? I am hesitating, I am waiting for the opinion of someone who has tested both !!!

ppataki

Major Contributor
Do you happen to have any experience with the Aiyima D05?
Seems to be very similar to the D03?

ppataki

Major Contributor
I am currently using a Loxjie A30 (USB input) in my office rig and looking for an upgrade in terms of power
Sound quality shall not be inferior though (SINAD, etc)

I do not want to use two devices (separate DAC and amp)
Apparently the SMSL A300 would not be a good alternative...:confused:

The Aiyima D03 seems to be good but I cannot find any measurements :(

titilandus

I am currently using a Loxjie A30 (USB input) in my office rig and looking for an upgrade in terms of power
Sound quality shall not be inferior though (SINAD, etc)

I do not want to use two devices (separate DAC and amp)
Apparently the SMSL A300 would not be a good alternative...:confused:

The Aiyima D03 seems to be good but I cannot find any measurements :(
But the USB DAC does not use the Saber, but Realtek ;)

USB has its own Realtek DAC, BT is from Qualcomm - the one built into QCC, the rest of the inputs work with the Sabre.

You will get the best quality from it by connecting a PC with a loxi digital cable - either optics or coaxial, because then you will be using the best DAC built into this box. After USB, it is a bit worse - but still better than motherboard integrateds.

ppataki

Major Contributor
But the USB DAC does not use the Saber, but Realtek;)

USB has its own Realtek DAC, BT is from Qualcomm - the one built into QCC, the rest of the inputs work with the Sabre.

You will get the best quality from it by connecting a PC with a loxi digital cable - either optics or coaxial, because then you will be using the best DAC built into this box. After USB, it is a bit worse - but still better than motherboard integrateds.

Woooow! Thank you @titilandus this is really interesting!
I was not aware that the Loxjie A30 has two DAC chips.....
I will certainly try the optical input
What do you mean by 'loxi digital cable'?
Thank you

titilandus

Thank you
If possible, try to connect it with an optical cable. Avoid connecting USB and BT as much as possible :)

Toku

Major Contributor
Do you happen to have any experience with the Aiyima D05?
Seems to be very similar to the D03?
Almost everywhere I read that the D03 was better than the D05, but I never tested the D05 !!!
The D05 seems to be a higher model of the D03, but it is actually an older model than the D03. You can tell by looking at the IC chips and specs used.
I did not purchase D05 from such judgment.

Toku

Major Contributor
Thank you
Please don't be too happy.
Those built-in IC chips are never as high performance as an external DAC.
Still, the OPT/COAX input using the ESS DAC chip ES9023 sounds better than the USB input.
I think that there is no dissatisfaction in general use.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
is it a fair comparison though?

those older boxes obviously try to pack more in... for less

so they have 192 converters... maybe for marketing but i assume they are older Crystal units?

the amplification end is the TPA type Texas pwm modules?

I cant be expecting anything all that competitive really. The A300's trump card is the Infineon set... at the expense of an outdated BT dac... which is fair... just buy a good dac.

godsmack50

I just found this video of SMSL A300 which speaks about the BTL connection and which shows how to make this connection at the end of the video, if it can help someone !!!

Toku

Major Contributor
I just found this video of SMSL A300 which speaks about the BTL connection and which shows how to make this connection at the end of the video, if it can help someone !!!

This video is a little weird.
In the master & slave method, the output of BTL-R is adjusted to the volume level of 40 on the master side and output.
If the slave side that inputs the BTL-R signal is also set to the same volume level of 40, the volume will be further reduced and the balance will be completely lost.
Therefore, in the case of the master & slave method, the volume on the slave side must always be set to the maximum, otherwise it will not be at the same level as the volume on the master side.
In dual monaural mode, the two units are set to the same volume like a video image.
Is the video image just a production?

godsmack50

In the master & slave method, the output of BTL-R is adjusted to the volume level of 40 on the master side and output.
If the slave side that inputs the BTL-R signal is also set to the same volume level of 40, the volume will be further reduced and the balance will be completely lost.
Therefore, in the case of the master & slave method, the volume on the slave side must always be set to the maximum, otherwise it will not be at the same level as the volume on the master side.
In dual monaural mode, the two units are set to the same volume like a video image.
No idea I don't know anything about this connection system, I just posted it for those who might be interested !!!

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I thought you guys said the volume knob isnt at the same clock position to maintain the same volume level in bridge mode? it was just a 'feature' of btl.

nsfgp

Forget that video/channel as it is useless ... it is done by a vendor (from Vietnam apparently) that sells both to local/by mail I believe. Avoid that shop by all means. Saw your posts and the reply from that vendor/video owner which of course does not answer your questions at all. Not professional imo.
The video showed of course the volume on both unit to be 40 ... if they want to sell the gears. That does not mean the volume is balanced at all ... no one can tell unless you are inside the room when the video is shot and you can inspect how the source/hardware are setup/configured.

Back to the A300. I believe the only info. from this thread reported is that the right channel is about 6 volume steps down in volume compared to the left channel. Not the case you mentioned that he needs to raise the right channel volume to max to balance BTL mode volume (in master-slave mode I mean). And it is only reported once.
There was another report earlier (CA1075) that said the volume mismatch only occurred in direct-BTL mode and it is fixed by going to the master-slave mode. Go figured. Too bad he never posted again and confirm this again so I will not trust that report to be true.

Could you please try to test your 2 units in both BTL mode if possible so we know if you also have this problem?? I take it you have not confirmed this yourself yet. Thanks.

Toku

Major Contributor
Forget that video/channel as it is useless ... it is done by a vendor (from Vietnam apparently) that sells both to local/by mail I believe. Avoid that shop by all means. Saw your posts and the reply from that vendor/video owner which of course does not answer your questions at all. Not professional imo.
The video showed of course the volume on both unit to be 40 ... if they want to sell the gears. That does not mean the volume is balanced at all ... no one can tell unless you are inside the room when the video is shot and you can inspect how the source/hardware are setup/configured.

Back to the A300. I believe the only info. from this thread reported is that the right channel is about 6 volume steps down in volume compared to the left channel. Not the case you mentioned that he needs to raise the right channel volume to max to balance BTL mode volume (in master-slave mode I mean). And it is only reported once.
There was another report earlier (CA1075) that said the volume mismatch only occurred in direct-BTL mode and it is fixed by going to the master-slave mode. Go figured. Too bad he never posted again and confirm this again so I will not trust that report to be true.

Could you please try to test your 2 units in both BTL mode if possible so we know if you also have this problem?? I take it you have not confirmed this yourself yet. Thanks.
Thank you for the information about the Youtube video.

I also read a post saying there was a 6dB difference.
I have confirmed the operation of both the master-slave method and the dual monaural method (direct BTL mode), but there was no volume of 6dB at all.
A difference of 6dB is very large and if it actually occurs it will be immediately noticeable.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
hey.... so should i get another one of these???

maybe if there's a discount come 11/11?

i'm already using a preamp so i dont care about volume control

this amp really makes you evaluate why you need to spend more... this comes so close enough to stuff that is $1k or more i question why the need to spend on anything more exotic

Top Bottom