• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
my feeling about the PA5 vs. A300 is that on high sensitivity speakers the PA5 will have it... but its close to twice the price, but with less features and less power.

Again we await Amir's review of the 300 but no doubt the PA5 will measure better EXCEPT on power. If you want to go even further there's the chart topping (so to speak) LA90 which is almost 4 times the price. Am I mistaken in saying that Topping as yet have not made any unit that has an alleged 80w/160w?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The measurement does help, but i wonder, as mentioned many times in ASR, if our ears can detect the difference. What SINAD is good enough (80? 90? 100?)? If not, we are after or pay for something that are so food on paper, but give no practical benefits.
We need the measurements also to confirm the power rating - and to tell us how much distortion goes up as power goes up. How is distortion across the complete frequency range - etc etc.

It's not all about Sinad - despite what people keep telling you, ASR is not a one measurement site.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree with that , but also it depends on which speakers you're using. Sytem matching/ synergy should never be ovelrooked.
Here's a great video on this topic.
And another bunch of meaningless audio folklore.

kaopad999

And another bunch of meaningless audio folklore.
Don't be so quick to dimisss this topic. I think Thomas makes some good points in the video. He even makes a point that you should not always listen to reviewers who tell you a particular bit fo gear will sound a certain way, but the only way is to experiment yourself whch i think is a fair point!

kaopad999

The measurement does help, but i wonder, as mentioned many times in ASR, if our ears can detect the difference. What SINAD is good enough (80? 90? 100?)? If not, we are after or pay for something that are so food on paper, but give no practical benefits.

Listening is subjective as everyone knows. Most audiophiles like input direct, flat curves, but some people like a little Vshape ( in this threat, some one thinks the best setup for him is E1 with treble =2, bass=2).

I would like to see the measurement too, but it is not everything. I usually bought a device based on the reviews from some people here (e.g. Toku) or some reviews on internet that i follow, and give it a try in my modest system ( usually I buy from Amazon that has 30 day return policy if i dont like the product).

If you know what a good enough SINAD ( beyond that our ears can not detect) is, please let me know. Thanks.
I agree. measurements really do help a lot as a starting point. No one really wants to buy gear if it has design flaws and measures very poorly. but after that, it really boils down to our personal tastes and needs.

longma

We need the measurements also to confirm the power rating - and to tell us how much distortion goes up as power goes up. How is distortion across the complete frequency range - etc etc.

It's not all about Sinad - despite what people keep telling you, ASR is not a one measurement site.
Valid points. Thanks.
However, it seems SINAL still matter a lot here. I still see many go for PA5 even though it has quality problems and all the questions about unbalanced and balanced connections .

Can we hear the difference of LA90, PA5, NC252MP because of better SINAL ( not because of sound signature of the design)?
If not, the safe bet is NC252MP (or NC502 if need more power) for both power and reliability.
I ask this, for i wonder if A300 is good enough or i need a better amp for my 2 channel listening.

A300 is my 1st class D amp. I bought it based on Toku review ( he said it is as good as Sabaj A02000, DA9 but more power) and iiWI. It is very cheap for what it offers ( i got it $150 from Amazon). In fact, i bought 2 of them, but don't use them in BTL. One is good enough to drive my speakers. I use them both for 2 channel music and HT ( Oppo 205 can use for 2 dedicated music or HT 5/7 channels).

ampguy

I'm sure most of these Class D newer amps have THD and SINAD below thresholds that I would notice, so I'm looking at reliability, power output, and features. I'd like something to last 20+ years, and I kind of doubt an amp with flimsy digital rotary encoders, budget power supply components, and some version of Bluetooth that gets upgraded every 6 months is going to make it even 3 or 4 years. The SMSL AO200 is looking good, build quality wise, and stable at 2 ohm loads.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure most of these Class D newer amps have THD and SINAD below thresholds that I would notice, so I'm looking at reliability, power output, and features. I'd like something to last 20+ years, and I kind of doubt an amp with flimsy digital rotary encoders, budget power supply components, and some version of Bluetooth that gets upgraded every 6 months is going to make it even 3 or 4 years. The SMSL AO200 is looking good, build quality wise, and stable at 2 ohm loads.
I think you need a power amp - no extras to go out of date. Hypex hit the optimised price/performance point in my view, with suppliers in most regions. (I'm off overseas suppliers with no local support at the moment).

Bleib

Major Contributor

Listening is subjective as everyone knows. Most audiophiles like input direct, flat curves, but some people like a little Vshape ( in this threat, some one thinks the best setup for him is E1 with treble =2, bass=2).

I would like to see the measurement too, but it is not everything. I usually bought a device based on the reviews from some people here (e.g. Toku) or some reviews on internet that i follow, and give it a try in my modest system ( usually I buy from Amazon that has 30 day return policy if i dont like the product).

If you know what a good enough SINAD ( beyond that our ears can not detect) is, please let me know. Thanks.
As I've said before, a SINAD number is not enough in itself. Depends on a) the material played b) the speakers c) the room d) the placement of the speakers
Most of the time it's probably not superbly important, but I can't say that it never is. (just as long as you avoid the poor products..)

ampguy

I think you need a power amp - no extras to go out of date. Hypex hit the optimised price/performance point in my view, with suppliers in most regions. (I'm off overseas suppliers with no local support at the moment).
I have many amps, some with no controls, just inputs, and speaker outputs, others with various levels of integrations - Hegel, Marantz (made in Japan), Class A, etc. I like Class D amps in the summer for heat and energy savings, as we have about 7 Roon zones in addition to the main listening areas. The PA-5, one of 3 Class D amps I have is a good one, just wish it had some EQ.

ftiziatr

Well the sanskrit can output 2.2V - so it is more than capable of driving the amp to full power. What are you inputting to the Dac? If it is from a PC - is your PC "turning down" the volume output to the Dac?
Thanks again. All this week I have been studying the sensitivity parameters and the gain coefficient and the concepts of the logarithmic gain scale of volume control. Finally I realized that it is impossible to compare 2 different amplifiers)))) Denon, as I understand it, gives out clipping already at 12-13 hours, due to higher sensitivity. Therefore, its working adjustment is very small. I lowered the sound on the DAC and now I can adjust the full range of the handle. The SMS after a week of work began to sound different (maybe it seems to me), but the sound became thicker and more dense. It even seems louder. At the same time, the detail has been preserved. Only one thing I didn't understand. 60 on the volume control is 100 percent power, or they have been specially cut off to prevent distortion and noise. I hope I wrote everything clearly, my English is bad and half in the translator)))))

ftiziatr

Sound clip if anyone is interested:

thanks for the video. Even though I can listen live. I noticed on many videos that the authors put the columns close to each other. And the distance to the wall is very close. Push apart at least by 1.8-2 meters and move away from the wall by 1,5 and you will not recognize the sound. SMSL creates a very good scene. At least for listening, the length of the wires allows you. It's always easy to push back after.

robertospeed

SMSL A300 + SMSL SU-9 + SMSL HO200 + Cuffia Meze 99 Classic + Dali Spektor 2 + ELAC DEBUT S10.2 Subwoofer + foobar2000

I did this video only to demonstrate my PC workstation with SMSL A300, I recorded it with a smartphone, so the audio quality is very poor and the video too

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SMSL A300 + SMSL SU-9 + SMSL HO200 + Cuffia Meze 99 Classic + Dali Spektor 2 + ELAC DEBUT S10.2 Subwoofer + foobar2000

I have no idea what these videos recorded using a phone microphone are supposed to demonstrate.

If I thought that was the sound that the amp delivered I'd run in the opposite direction.

robertospeed

I have no idea what these videos recorded using a phone microphone are supposed to demonstrate.

If I thought that was the sound that the amp delivered I'd run in the opposite direction.
it was just to demonstrate my PC workstation nothing else, forget the sound and video quality, because as you know it is poor and it takes professional microphones to record the sound and a professional camera for video, unfortunately I do not this profession of recorder :)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
it was just to demonstrate my PC workstation nothing else, forget the sound and video quality, because as you know it is poor and it takes professional microphones to record the sound and a professional camera for video, unfortunately I do not this profession of recorder :)
The video is fine. Sound - as you say - not so much.

Perhaps worth putting your intent in text next to the video. Because anyone coming here will assume such a video is intended to demonstrate the device the thread is about.

robertospeed

The video is fine. Sound - as you say - not so much.

Perhaps worth putting your intent in text next to the video. Because anyone coming here will assume such a video is intended to demonstrate the device the thread is about.
The written below the video, maybe you haven't read and just watched the video

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
anyone with a brain knows that a recording like this isnt going to offer anything but a distorted view of how this system works

you're immediately going thru an unknown mic, ADC etc.

you cant be going in 17 pages in this thread and not knowing this

I do however appreciate what this guy is doing just to see how people use this device and what equipment they match it to

a $200 device performing this well among this kind of equipment says it all

kaopad999

unfortunately some people are quick to judge without taking their time to look at the description of the video.
Anyone with half a brain should know that an audio recording from a phone will not sound the same in real life. If not, then they should not even be thinking about buying good sounding audio.

However, than being said, i do suggest you buy a nice microphone and do some side by side comparisons seeing that you own many of these budget amps amps ;). I think it would be a great help for people to decide on what to buy

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I watched the video as it was presented - in thread. I didn't go to youtube. I appreciate that you have added the comment to your post with the video. :)

unfortunately some people are quick to judge without taking their time to look at the description of the video.
Anyone with half a brain should know that an audio recording from a phone will not sound the same in real life. If not, then they should not even be thinking about buying good sounding audio.

However, than being said, i do suggest you buy a nice microphone and do some side by side comparisons seeing that you own many of these budget amps amps ;). I think it would be a great help for people to decide on what to buy

"anyone with half a brain"? hence my first comment.

Top Bottom