• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

kaopad999

I watched the video as it was presented - in thread. I didn't go to youtube. I appreciate that you have added the comment to your post with the video. :)

"anyone with half a brain"? hence my first comment.
yeah, i realise that. i wasn't trying to be condescending, but what i'm trying to say is that anyone that thinks that it's gonna sound like ths in real life should stick to a Logitech 2.1 speaker system.

Anyway, apologies if i came across as being rude.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yeah, i realise that. i wasn't trying to be condescending, but what i'm trying to say is that anyone that thinks that it's gonna sound like ths in real life should stick to a Logitech 2.1 speaker system.

Anyway, apologies if i came across as being rude.

No problem - sorry for misinterpreting your comment. :cool: (This place needs a thumbs up smiley)

robertospeed

unfortunately some people are quick to judge without taking their time to look at the description of the video.
Anyone with half a brain should know that an audio recording from a phone will not sound the same in real life. If not, then they should not even be thinking about buying good sounding audio.

However, than being said, i do suggest you buy a nice microphone and do some side by side comparisons seeing that you own many of these budget amps amps ;). I think it would be a great help for people to decide on what to buy
Just the microphone? and the camera no? , I have no money to buy all this unfortunately

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just the microphone? and the camera no? , I have no money to buy all this unfortunately
Personally I don't think there is any merit at all in trying to demonstrate the sound of any audio kit on youtube.

The viewer is not hearing the kit being demoed. They are hearing the replication of that recording (with the room acoustics of the room it is recorded in AND the characteristics of whatever mic is used AND the restrictions of any lossy codecs applied by youtube**). on their own kit with their own room acoustics layered on top. It most likely, will sound nothing like the actual kit in the video. In particular if it is elecronics being demonstrated, then all you are hearing is the sound of whatever speakers are being used - again with all the other distortions on top.

I'd certainly not spend any money on equipment for making such videos.

**admittedly the impact of youtubes codecs are probably inaudible in the mix with everything else, but still...

robertospeed

Personally I don't think there is any merit at all in trying to demonstrate the sound of any audio kit on youtube.

The viewer is not hearing the kit being demoed. They are hearing the replication of that recording (with the room acoustics of the room it is recorded in AND the characteristics of whatever mic is used AND the restrictions of any lossy codecs applied by youtube**). on their own kit with their own room acoustics layered on top. It most likely, will sound nothing like the actual kit in the video. In particular if it is elecronics being demonstrated, then all you are hearing is the sound of whatever speakers are being used - again with all the other distortions on top.

I'd certainly not spend any money on equipment for making such videos.

**admittedly the impact of youtubes codecs are probably inaudible in the mix with everything else, but still...
ok thanks

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
no one needs to 'spend money on recording videos'

as someone famous once said 'you have a smart phone right?'

it may not help everyone but if someone spends their time recording their setup and uploading it to youtube then i appreciate the effort... even at the very least it gives me insight on how someone is using the same piece of equipment i too use

godsmack50

Hi guys , I am currently using an Aiyima D03 which I am very satisfied with, but my D03 is too far from my listening point and the worry is that the display dial is very small, so I think I buy the SMSL A300 for its larger display screen! What do you think of the SMSL A300 compared to the Aiyima D03 in terms of sound quality? Thank you for informing me before my purchase of SMSL A300. Thanks guys !!!

kaopad999

Hi guys , I am currently using an Aiyima D03 which I am very satisfied with, but my D03 is too far from my listening point and the worry is that the display dial is very small, so I think I buy the SMSL A300 for its larger display screen! What do you think of the SMSL A300 compared to the Aiyima D03 in terms of sound quality? Thank you for informing me before my purchase of SMSL A300. Thanks guys !!!
@robertospeed owns both of these, so i think he should be able to answer for you.

ppataki

Major Contributor
Can anybody please comment on the USB input of the SMSL A300?
What is the max sample rate and bitdepth supported? How does it sound? (I would not be using a separate DAC, hence I am asking)
The same question for the BT input
Any comments would be appreciated
Thank you

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
been shown in the spec lists it only does 16/44 16/48 via bt or usb in

it should sound like any free feature low cost DAC... it'll do at a pinch but is well below what most people here would consider acceptable

the type A to type A is a complete non standard cable but i'd be interested to know if it supports type C to type A as many modern laptops support type C

Toku

Major Contributor
Can anybody please comment on the USB input of the SMSL A300?
What is the max sample rate and bitdepth supported? How does it sound? (I would not be using a separate DAC, hence I am asking)
The same question for the BT input
Any comments would be appreciated
Thank you
I have explained the BT and USB inputs of some amplifier products several times in ASR, but I will explain it again.
Most of the BT inputs of amplifier products such as SMSL A300 use low-class modules. We do not adopt high-end BT modules like DAC products. The reason is because it is positioned as a bonus function. This is because, in terms of sales strategy, the product will sell better with BT than without it.

Also, the USB input of these amplifier products is very simple using the D/A conversion function of the BT module. It will never perform as well as external DAC products.
The sound quality is the same as BT and the supported sampling rate is mostly 48kHz/16bit only.

When an amp has a USB input, most people mistakenly think that it has a full-fledged DAC built-in. Manufacturers have great expectations for such misunderstandings as a sales strategy.
The USB input is also a bonus feature. However, it has a sound quality that can be heard normally.
However, some products, such as the Loxjie A30, are equipped with a separate dedicated DAC chip.

AIYIMA D03 is a full digital amplifier. Although it is the same AIYIMA product, the operation is completely different from class D amplifiers such as AIYIMA A200 and SMSL A300.
The digital signal from the USB input is directly input to the amplifier, so no DAC is required. So the sound quality is excellent. OPT/COAX input is handled in the same way.
The corresponding sampling rate is PCM44.1kHz ~ 192kHz/24bit, which is full-fledged.

ppataki

Major Contributor
I have explained the BT and USB inputs of some amplifier products several times in ASR, but I will explain it again.
Most of the BT inputs of amplifier products such as SMSL A300 use low-class modules. We do not adopt high-end BT modules like DAC products. The reason is because it is positioned as a bonus function. This is because, in terms of sales strategy, the product will sell better with BT than without it.

Also, the USB input of these amplifier products is very simple using the D/A conversion function of the BT module. It will never perform as well as external DAC products.
The sound quality is the same as BT and the supported sampling rate is mostly 48kHz/16bit only.

When an amp has a USB input, most people mistakenly think that it has a full-fledged DAC built-in. Manufacturers have great expectations for such misunderstandings as a sales strategy.
The USB input is also a bonus feature. However, it has a sound quality that can be heard normally.
However, some products, such as the Loxjie A30, are equipped with a separate dedicated DAC chip.

AIYIMA D03 is a full digital amplifier. Although it is the same AIYIMA product, the operation is completely different from class D amplifiers such as AIYIMA A200 and SMSL A300.
The digital signal from the USB input is directly input to the amplifier, so no DAC is required. So the sound quality is excellent. OPT/COAX input is handled in the same way.
The corresponding sampling rate is PCM44.1kHz ~ 192kHz/24bit, which is full-fledged.
Thank you so much @Toku
Really appreciated!
Will take a look at the Aiyima D03
If I am not mistaken the SMSL A2 and the Sabaj A30A shall also be FDAs (Full Digital Amp)
I totally love the concept of an FDA, I will probably try one of those in the near future

irontortoise

been shown in the spec lists it only does 16/44 16/48 via bt or usb in

it should sound like any free feature low cost DAC... it'll do at a pinch but is well below what most people here would consider acceptable

the type A to type A is a complete non standard cable but i'd be interested to know if it supports type C to type A as many modern laptops support type C
USB-C to USB-A is how I am running it currently from my Win10 laptop dock while I wait for my DAC. I haven’t had any issues and was plug and play: no drivers needed.

Toku

Major Contributor
Thank you so much @Toku
Really appreciated!
Will take a look at the Aiyima D03
If I am not mistaken the SMSL A2 and the Sabaj A30A shall also be FDAs (Full Digital Amp)
I totally love the concept of an FDA, I will probably try one of those in the near future
I used D03 before. And now I'm testing it against A30a and A300/AO200.
The SMSL VMV A2 and Sabaj A30a are identical products with a few exceptions.

kaopad999

Thanks for the detailed explanation

But the SMSL A-300 with a capable DAC, along with it's infineon amp chips should outperform the D03 , as well has having more power, right?

Top Bottom