• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Schiit SYN - Analog Surround Sound Processor

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because it seems to do nothing better than an AVR from the 90's but sells it self like it's revolutionary.
On the contrary you get proper known dolby dsp's on the 90's AVR.
I don't see that a the point. I see: Does it do what it says it does? If it doesn't then it has a problem. If it does: What does it matter that other things can do that, too?
I personally don't want an AVR in my stereo system: Period. Nor a computer (but I am willing to use a Bluetooth transceiver set up with the DESKTOP computer in the office and the stereo in the living room). It is also rare for me to use a remote for anything (unless that is the only way I can do it). And I haven't owned (nor do I want to own) a TV since 2007. I have a monitor so that I can watch things (you know, uncompressed 2K & 4K) from my oPPo 205 UDP. Other than that, I do not care about any video.
Buy the SYN? Maybe?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, if you have been to many concerts (classical, jazz, blues, rock, whatever, Then you likely have a preference for the way it sounds in those venues. So, if you use DSP, etc, to get it to sound like that, that IS MAKING IT SOUND THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO SOUND. Otherwise, it's the same as those people who refuse to even have tone controls in their system. And, of course, what someone else thinks is right for me: I don't give a damn about!

D

Deleted member 48726

I don't see that a the point. I see: Does it do what it says it does? If it doesn't then it has a problem. If it does: What does it matter that other things can do that, too?
I personally don't want an AVR in my stereo system: Period. Nor a computer (but I am willing to use a Bluetooth transceiver set up with the DESKTOP computer in the office and the stereo in the living room). It is also rare for me to use a remote for anything (unless that is the only way I can do it). And I haven't owned (nor do I want to own) a TV since 2007. I have a monitor so that I can watch things (you know, uncompressed 2K & 4K) from my oPPo 205 UDP. Other than that, I do not care about any video.
Buy the SYN? Maybe?
It's "setting surround free".
No it isn't. That's my point.

D

Deleted member 48726

Well, if you have been to many concerts (classical, jazz, blues, rock, whatever, Then you likely have a preference for the way it sounds in those venues. So, if you use DSP, etc, to get it to sound like that, that IS MAKING IT SOUND THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO SOUND. Otherwise, it's the same as those people who refuse to even have tone controls in their system. And, of course, what someone else thinks is right for me: I don't give a damn abou
This device doesn't adjust treble and bass.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This device doesn't adjust treble and bass.
That was not my point. Perhaps this: This thing apparently adjust sounds to apparently surround you. Which is something that you can do at a live concert, depending o where you are in the venue (or a park or whatever. And, if that is how you like sound to be, then this thing may help you get closer to that. Just as the tome controls, DSP, etc can help you get to how you feel that the sound should be in your room, by manipulating the signal to how you feel that it should sound in your room comparable to how it sounds when you are at the venue listening to the concert, emulating as best as one can, the tonality of being at the venue.

AllanMarcus

I appreciate the comments here and I’ve been reading up on matrix vs processed sound. I’m starting the get interested. The DYNACO QD-1 or 2 looks interesting, and my next internet searches will be see about DIY versions.

that said, any other options for analog matrix sound?

as for the syn, the pricing seems pretty good considering what you get. rounding here, but decent DAC ($100), decent headphone amp ($100), headphone 3D simulator (maybe $50-$100?), analog matrix sound ($75-$100], all in a neat, compact package. i happen to not need the head amp or dac, but this could easily appeal to many people.

sucramhabib

It's "setting surround free".
No it isn't. That's my point.
Based on how Schiit has described it, I disagree. Free from the latest standards, free from obsolescence... Obviously not revolutionary but it seems to do what it says

Surround Set Free
Forget worrying about whether your surround works with the latest standards or if you’ve spent enough Sundays tweaking umpteen 31-band EQs and uploading the latest room correction files because you moved a chair. Plug Syn into the optical output of any smart TV, twist a couple of knobs, and then sit back and enjoy great surround. Or plug in via USB, or use the analog input—Syn provides surround from any stereo source.

jagwap

I worked in a very well known Hi-Fi company years ago and we built a simple Hafler unit out of opamps, to demonstrate how Pro-Logic II sounded poor in subtle situations in movies and badly in music. The Hafler system was far better sounding, and was proposed to be added in the next product in a DSP version.

Crosstalk between channels is poor, but does that really matter when you are listening to music on speakers to a stereo mix decoded like this?

Don't knock this without trying it. Is lossless 7.1 potentially better? Of course, but it is often really badly mixed for music, throwing musicians all over the place. This system takes stereo and gives you a solid centre channel, and generally ambience behind you. It is not necessarily a purist approach, but it can be pleasing and immersive.

AllanMarcus

For the heck of it, I just purchased a Heathkit AD-2550 off of Mercuri for $42 shipped. I'll likley reflow all the joints then give it a go. I don't even need its rear 10W amp (wow!). Hope it works. Fun toy. I couldn't find a AD-2022 anywhere, which a pure matrix decoder.

JohnJCallanan

Holy shit, some of you actually need to go back to school and improve your reading comprehension because these are some of the most brain dead comments I've read in the history of this website. I almost never comment, but I had to participate just for this.

The point of this device is not for people who want true Dolby 14.25.36 ultimate theater surround sound. It's overwhelmingly for those who have headphones and a couple pairs of powered speakers, and don't want to deal with the BS which comes with software and drivers and AVR interfaces.

I don't know you, but the worst thing about audio is troubleshooting software issues. Anytime there is a new Nvidia driver and it destroys your output to an old receiver is a PITA. When your sound randomly cuts out for no reason and you cannot find the hardware issue, it's a PITA.

That's what this device is for, a niche product for a niche problem, not true Dolby surround. Also, of course you can do a lot of this in software, but that applies for 90% of audio: people pay out the ass for garbage tube devices, which can be emulated for free with EQ and DSP on your computer. Similar principle applies here of using DSP to split the channels, but then you have to deal with that software, and most people either don't want to do that or don't have the technical knowledge.

Personally, I don't want to add more complexity because I already have to deal with computers every day, and nothing beats simply turning a knob and hearing the sound change in real time.

I hope this product exists for a long time and they do revisions of it, so when I eventually get another pair of Kalis, I can do a simple little 5.1 around my computer.

AllanMarcus

Holy shit, some of you actually need to go back to school and improve your reading comprehension
This is a site for audio nerds. You know, ears. Reading is eyes. Eyes is different than ears. Different skill set
:cool:

AllanMarcus

Or one can make or buy a Dynaco adaptor, or buy a "vintage" AVR for 20 bucks and do it.
It's a fundamentally goofy product.

Yes, you can do lots of stuff. You can play music on real instruments instead of listening to others.

You can replace the Syn with a $100 DAC, and a $100 headphone Amp, and a homemade Dynaco (I could not find an AVR for $20 with pre outs that does this, but I think I found a $40 one, though no remote), and have lots of equipment on your desk and some take a lot of time for the DIY adventure. I'm doing that, but I have time. Many just want to buy it, set it up, and be done. The only thing many want is a few dials to turn to tune the sound to their liking. The Syn is that, not a tool for DIYers. Is it a little over priced? Maybe. Is it a lot overpriced? No.

Also, I'm not sure the vintage AVRs can contour the sound like the Syn can. Also, the old AVRs don't come with a warranty and may or may not work well.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, you can do lots of stuff. You can play music on real instruments instead of listening to others.

You can replace the Syn with a $100 DAC, and a $100 headphone Amp, and a homemade Dynaco (I could not find an AVR for $20 with pre outs that does this, but I think I found a $40 one, though no remote), and have lots of equipment on your desk and some take a lot of time for the DIY adventure. I'm doing that, but I have time. Many just want to buy it, set it up, and be done. The only thing many want is a few dials to turn to tune the sound to their liking. The Syn is that, not a tool for DIYers. Is it a little over priced? Maybe. Is it a lot overpriced? No.

Also, I'm not sure the vintage AVRs can contour the sound like the Syn can. Also, the old AVRs don't come with a warranty and may or may not work well.
Something that you can do with 2 APT/Holman Preamps regarding quadraphonic:
Quadraphonic Synthesis

With two Holman Preamplifiers, you can synthesis and control four output channels from just two input channels.

Apply all your inputs to the first Holman Preamplifier. Use it for all your tone controls, filters and source and tape selections. Leave its Stereo Mode in Stereo.

Connect the first Holman Preamplifier's MAIN 1 output to one power amplifier and your two front speakers.

Connect the first Holman Preamplifier's MAIN 2 output to any line-level input of the second Holman Preamplifier.

Connect the second Holman Preamplifier's MAIN 1 output to the power amplifier for your two rear speakers.

Rotate the second Holman Preamplifier's stereo mode control to L-R, and start by setting it to about unity gain or a bit less, and keep its tone controls flat. The tone and filter settings of the first Holman Preamplifier are fed automatically to the second Holman Preamplifier.

Set balance on the first preamp. Set front-rear balance on the Volume control of the second preamp.

Leave the power switch of the second preamp ON, and plug its power cord into a switched outlet of the first Holman Preamplifier. Now the power is controlled by the first Holman Preamplifier, too

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

And to step far above the Schiit SYN (of course for a bigger part of your wallet):
Involve Audio - creators of the "Surround Master"

D

Deleted member 48726

No, you are right. They can do a lot more! And if you want to have a surround experience with real decoding that's an option as well.
Who cares about warranty when you literally can pick one up for 20 USD?

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No, you are right. They can do a lot more! And if you want to have a surround experience with real decoding that's an option as well.
Who cares about warranty when you literally can pick one up for 20 USD?
They can do more things but as far as I can tell none of them offer the mixing that it does. You may feel it's inferior to Dolby, DTS, or other up-mixers, but if you want the more basic up-mixing that the Syn does, it's a tidy little package. If there's an old cheap receiver or pre-amp out there that does basic L+R and L-R mixing please let me know. I might want to try it out.

D

Deleted member 48726

They can do more things but as far as I can tell none of them offer the mixing that it does. You may feel it's inferior to Dolby, DTS, or other up-mixers, but if you want the more basic up-mixing that the Syn does, it's a tidy little package. If there's an old cheap receiver or pre-amp out there that does basic L+R and L-R mixing please let me know. I might want to try it out.
Any old AVR with Dolby PLII and DTS Neo will do. I recall my old Sony STR even had degrees of how much of the faux surround effect you would want to dial up or down.

It should be right around 20 usd by now.

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any old AVR with Dolby PLII and DTS Neo will do. I recall my old Sony STR even had degrees of how much of the faux surround effect you would want to dial up or down.

It should be right around 20 usd by now.
PLII and DTS Neo do more signal manipulation than just clean channel summing and differencing. But it really doesn't matter because my Mac Mini is doing a great job of mixing the channels how I want while also providing equalization and crossovers. It feeds all the channels on my AVR using HDMI. It even allows me to monitor multiple sources at once if I want, and this has come in handy if I'm listening to music or an audio book or podcast while playing the Nintendo. I can make the Nintendo soundtrack silent or just loud enough to hear in the background. This is quite enjoyable. Playing something like Tetris doesn't seem to interfere with my ability to enjoy a long podcast or listen to music. I think it might enhance my listening ability. NPR and Tetris work great together.

Top Bottom