• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Modern AVR’s and Processors - Super Annoying Shortcoming

OP
Dougey_Jones

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
But, again, those issues are for another thread but it is annoying to sit on the couch and browse forums on the TV while at the same time watching Youtube videos and not be able to steer the dialogue to the center channel with an up mixer if 8 channel output is set in the Mac. Best of luck to @Dougey_Jones and anybody else with similar issues.
It’s nice that at least one person truly understands what I’m on about.

susanstone

This is definitely what’s happening to me. The issue is that it’s happening even if I change Windows to “Stereo”, when it should only be happening in 5.1/7.1/Atmos.

At this point I guess my options include trying Windows 11 or some other operating system. The issue is persistent for me across multiple Win 10 Pro configs.
amirm said it was due to Intel GPU HDMI implementation. An option is to try an add-on sound card (either internal or external) with HDMI output. However, I don't know any specific card that can do what you want. Another option is to use optical if you have. That should be able to give you two channel digital source.

OP
Dougey_Jones

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
amirm said it was due to Intel GPU HDMI implementation. An option is to try an add-on sound card (either internal or external) with HDMI output. However, I don't know any specific card that can do what you want. Another option is to use optical if you have. That should be able to give you two channel digital source.
Amir may be on to something. I don’t remember having this problem when using a PCI-E nVidia card vs onboard Intel IRIS graphics, which is my go to when building HTPC’s.

KMO

I've used a few AMD and NVidia cards with no problems. Currently NVidia GTX1660, and no issue getting 2.0 output for receiver upmix. And I can also select 7.1 for running REW (don't use it as an HTPC, so that's the only real multichannel use it gets). Just need to change the Windows speaker settings.

Top Bottom