• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Product - SMSL DL300

delta76

Major Contributor
This is off topic, but this is nothing unique for Chinese brands, Samsung for instance also has the tactic of flooding the market with tons of products
at least for Samsung you can tell what product segment they aim for
- Galaxy S: their main premium
- Galaxy S FE: their cheaper variants
- A: the budget offering
- Fold and Flip: as their name suggests - foldable screen phones

a manufacturer that is as big as Samsung, compete in a market as big as smart phone, will need a big range of products. Not every of their products is well positioned, but you can be sure they have done, and are doing very intensive market researches.

Don't think we can say the same about the audio products from SMSL, Topping etc. (strangely most offering are from Chinese companies ? ). Most people will have a very hard time to tell what set C200, AL200, DL200, and DL300 apart, when the new products will be introduced (my 2c is next month), and what they will bring to the market (same same but different ? ) .

Tovarich007

This is off topic, but this is nothing unique for Chinese brands, Samsung for instance also has the tactic of flooding the market with tons of products

Samsung ? Much less than SMSL, Topping or other chinese brands. Their smartphones range is rather extended, but not that huge. Their TVs and soundbars too. And anyway the smartphone and Tv market is much more important than the Dacs and amps market.

Like Vintage Flanker, I don't think SMSL, Topping and Co aim first at inner chinese market, more than 400€ or 500€ for some devices are not that much for many westerners (anyway, it's starting to be rather important for others like me and many), but this is much money for a lot of chinese or south-east asian people. So my guess is that they deliberately flood the western market -north america and europe- surfing on the growing reputation of high quality not too expensive chinese electronics.

This kind of flooding strategy, at such an astonishing degree, is something specific of some chinese brands specialized on Dacs, small amplifiers, IEMs with a rather good value for money (for the moment). More high end chinese firms like Matrix Audio, Auralic, keep a more conservative and reasonable approach in the building and the renewal of their products range.

The issue is that the prices of SMSL, Topping and Co. are slowly getting higher while their reliability seems getting lower, and the overall performances of their devices can't be audibly and technically much improved,

So, I hope that these brands will soon become aware that their reputation in the western world could be seriously affected if they pursuie such a non sense strategy too long.

I was wondering if I'll buy a replacement for my Topping DX7s by a new Topping or SMSL and maybe also buy a new amp from those companies, but frankly I abandoned this idea, I prefer to save money and wait for a good second hand or discounted RME or Neumann interface and a european class D amp (Audiophonics, Boxem, others...), or a pair of good compact active speakers.

Last edited:

wavetrade

I find it kind of funny as it has worked on me to a point, But after buying four smsl dacs over the last 6 months I am done until they come out with something that has DSP and 12V trigger. And hopefully works. LOL

Seems like they could really rally the market if they made something that had a good dac chip, DSP and sub out allowing the user to crossover their amp and sub.

This DL300 has hit Amazon US and is currently $382.

Thx1326

One Issue with these two DAC's is either a giant overlook or a giant mistake on the SMSL website.

The SMSL website clearly states in the specs that both the DL300 and the DO300EX have a dual mono design with separate AKM4499EX chip for each channel plus the 41910.

If this is true, it has NOT been mentioned in any review I have seen. This would definately be a game changer design at this price point.

Their weights are the same at 3.40 pounds. So the only other difference other than the style is that the DL300 has 3 op-amps vs 5 for DO300EX.

Let us know if anyone gets further info or confirmation on these features.

Enjoy the music!
Thx1326

arrow0309

One Issue with these two DAC's is either a giant overlook or a giant mistake on the SMSL website.

The SMSL website clearly states in the specs that both the DL300 and the DO300EX have a dual mono design with separate AKM4499EX chip for each channel plus the 41910.

If this is true, it has NOT been mentioned in any review I have seen. This would definately be a game changer design at this price point.

Their weights are the same at 3.40 pounds. So the only other difference other than the style is that the DL300 has 3 op-amps vs 5 for DO300EX.

Let us know if anyone gets further info or confirmation on these features.

Enjoy the music!
Thx1326
Hi I just bought a new DL300 and over the past 3 days made a lot of research, non much went out but anyway they all look like the board is pretty similar on the both DL300 and DO300EX also the various specs. Both the same power wise as well.
So where did find those info about the DL300 using only 3 opamps?
Cause I can clearly notice the same amount of 5 opamps.

Screenshot 2024-02-24 191800.jpg

Also the sound (in high gain) is powerful enough for my both Ananda and K712 Pro Headphones.

Lambo1985

Hi I just bought a new DL300 and over the past 3 days made a lot of research, non much went out but anyway they all look like the board is pretty similar on the both DL300 and DO300EX also the various specs. Both the same power wise as well.
So where did find those info about the DL300 using only 3 opamps?
Cause I can clearly notice the same amount of 5 opamps.

View attachment 352024

Also the sound (in high gain) is powerful enough for my both Ananda and K712 Pro Headphones.
The DL300 & DO300EX look to be the exact same units but with different housing. I think they are different cosmetics for particular distributors/markets.

arrow0309

Ooohhh... nice. Do you notice any difference in SQ between the HP out of the DL300, and the HO200, other than more power/volume on the HO200? - Also what is that cool looking retro deck image on the monitor? Is it a VST plugin or music player?
Didn't have the dac for too long, it sounds lovely, maybe there's a slight difference in tonality but I can't tell how precisely.
One thing's for sure, it doesn't sound any worse.
It's a plugin for the AIMP player.

arrow0309

The DL300 & DO300EX look to be the exact same units but with different housing. I think they are different cosmetics for particular distributors/markets.
Yeah, I only noticed the 6 medium caps on the front of the DO300EX's internal psu vs 4 but bigger size caps on the DL300.
The rest looks identical inside.

arrow0309

As I've stated here below this dac has some USB pc oversampling issues (I was wrong about the headphones):

Issues that I have never found before with about 10 different dacs I have tested and rolled in the last few years.
Just before I've found other issues as well, in 48kHz, first yesterday I set to 24bit 48kHz and there was no audio.
Than today, after setting to Dolby Atmos for Headphones, switching from just 16bit 44.1kHz to 16bit 48kHz (should work fine) I'm hearing crackles again with the sound test.
Back to 16 bit 44.1kHz all is functioning.

I really think S.M.S.L. should take note and in case issue a new driver for this new xmos xu316.

Top Bottom