• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Product - SMSL DL300

surroundman

It seems like the DL200 now has a bigger brother - SMSL DL300, priced at $449.
They uploaded a features comparison vs the DL200. Do you find the price increase over the DL200 justifiable?

P05_1024x1024@2x.jpg
P02_999de857-e5ab-4ed4-9c07-8638bf10a9c0_1024x1024@2x.jpg
S8570876d80414d9eae8a6a67223ecc69F.jpg

Tovarich007

+1

I agree, the production and commercial policy of SMSL, and also Topping, is puzzling. Why flood several times a month the market with products very close in performance and price range ?

This is pure non sense IMHO.

I worry about reliability : can they maintain a good quality control with so many different references ?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
well over twice the price

the DL200 would be classed as 'budget'? but in reality i think it would be so close in 99% of situations you dont need to spend more (the thd and dynamic range goes from 130 > 132db!)

i also think these things are parts bin, they are using the same color screen as other products and really, SMSL got these product releases down to a military style pattern... constant never ending always regular

Fofocho

Which is the difference vs SMSL DO300EX?

They have same specs, just aesthetics are differnet. Price is also the same

Music1969

Major Contributor
I agree, the production and commercial policy of SMSL, and also Topping, is puzzling.
They want to dominate the Top 20 SINAD ranking in my opinion.

They would see this as good marketing.

Having #1 is not enough - having the most in Top 20 would be seen as good (in my opinion).

They are certainly doing well if that is their goal

New product to enter the top 20 SINAD ranks :D

MCH

Major Contributor

Johnyang has explained that sometimes they (topping) release products expeced by a seller (like Shenzhen audio for instance). They still have the topping brand but they were made by request.
I wonder if this is a similar case as smsl website only show buy links to aoshida in the case of do300ex.

delta76

Major Contributor
My take is this : Is it really cheaper for them to launch a new product every week and see which one sells then hiring a company to conduct some consumer research?
their strategy is, and always has been, to flood market and hope that people will keep buying (as replacement or upgrading) every year. something for everyone.

Bleib

Major Contributor

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another perfectly useless offering in some quite overcrowded market. In fact, I lost the count this year in particular. This, not to mention it is absolutely ugly.

My take is this : Is it really cheaper for them to launch a new product every week and see which one sells then hiring a company to conduct some consumer research?
Their website now displays four pages of products. Four pages, for DACs only.

Meanwhile: QC seems to leave a bit to be desired. Customer confort isn't good, the remote just sucks... And this UI...:facepalm: Anyway...

One more thing : get ready for the "MkII" in less than 18 months, that will just kill your resale value (and probably your aftersale support for that matter). This "strategy" won't last forever. It just can't.

I worry about reliability : can they maintain a good quality control with so many different references ?
They can't. Nor they seem to care whatsoever.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Main benefit over the 200 seems to be XLR instead of TRS for the balanced ouput. Not worth the price increase in this case.

No one test SMSL DL200, WHY?
Amir tests what people send to him. Sometimes the manufacturer does, but often they don't. If they don't then he can only test it if a member sends it to him. Are you going to buy one and send it in for testing?

(It is also possible he has one sitting in the testing queue)

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Another perfectly useless offering in some quite overcrowded market. In fact, I lost the count this year in particular. This, not to mention it is absolutely ugly.

Their website now displays four pages of products. Four pages, for DACs only.

Meanwhile: QC seems to leave a bit to be desired. Customer confort isn't good, the remote just sucks... And this UI...:facepalm: Anyway...

One more thing : get ready for the "MkII" in less than 18 months, that will just kill your resale value (and probably your aftersale support for that matter). This "strategy" won't last forever. It just can't.

They can't. Nor they seem to care whatsoever.

There are many Chinese people working crazy hours like 12-14 hours 6/7 days a week.
And after that they are expected to be working on their phones and answer emails and stuff at home.

Only to be constantly on top of other companies with new products that lunch every other week or month.

Matches exactly what smsl and Topping are doing. Because there always has to be something "new".

In the Chinese market they would probably out of business with a western approach of updating their products that also need to be available in every price range for that brand recognition.

Pretty much like the smartphone market.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are many Chinese people working crazy hours like 12-14 hours 6/7 days a week.
And after that they are expected to be working on their phones and answer emails and stuff at home.
Only to be constantly on top of other companies with new products that lunch every other week or month.
Matches exactly what smsl and Topping are doing. Because there always has to be something "new".
I guessed that. Still, that is just a terrible way of producing and consuming (and just working for what matters).

In the Chinese market they would probably out of business with a western approach
Possibly. But honestly, do most of their sales are in the China market? I'm not sure of that.
Pretty much like the smartphone market
I don't even know a smartphone company that has as much different (I mean, currently produced) models to offer at the same time.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
you should also note SMSL have more 'converters' on the 'others' page

i am bemused by that old meme how capitalism is the best way to create and distribute products but it means there are now 27 different kinds of shower gel.

and the chinese are not immune

with over a billion consumers natively then we see how one company has a dac for all kinds, all budgets, all possible uses? i guess this is good?

Snoopy

Major Contributor

I don't even know a smartphone company that has as much different (I mean, currently produced) models to offer at the same time.

Look at Xiaomi with their subbrands redmi and Poco that have multiple versions of every phone they release. (Normal, pro, Lite versions + additional versions for the Chinese market with different amounts of ram on all 3 brands)

delta76

Major Contributor
I guessed that. Still, that is just a terrible way of producing and consuming (and just working for what matters).

Possibly. But honestly, do most of their sales are in the China market? I'm not sure of that.

maybe not as much, but these are the currently sold redmi (cheap) phones https://www.mi.com/global/product-list/redmi/, and then their main lines https://www.mi.com/global/product-list/xiaomi, so quite a lot.
Not saying their product strategy is making senses. it's more like they see people keep buying their products, and if the numbers are good enough they will keep doing that. I of course want to see a clear product roadmap (budget, entry, mainstream, high-end) and yearly update, but that likely will not happen any time soon

Bleib

Major Contributor
maybe not as much, but these are the currently sold redmi (cheap) phones https://www.mi.com/global/product-list/redmi/, and then their main lines https://www.mi.com/global/product-list/xiaomi, so quite a lot.
Not saying their product strategy is making senses. it's more like they see people keep buying their products, and if the numbers are good enough they will keep doing that. I of course want to see a clear product roadmap (budget, entry, mainstream, high-end) and yearly update, but that likely will not happen any time soon
This is off topic, but this is nothing unique for Chinese brands, Samsung for instance also has the tactic of flooding the market with tons of products

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
;)
Look at Xiaomi with their subbrands redmi and Poco that have multiple versions of every phone they release.
Sure. But, if we also consider subbrands like Redmi and Poco, then we have to add both Loxjie and Sabaj offerings to the S.M.S.L lineup! ;)
Anyway...
This is off topic, but this is nothing unique for Chinese brands, Samsung for instance also has the tactic of flooding the market with tons of products
Still some apples and oranges comparison. DACs/Amps are indeed there in quite a niche market. Nothing comparable with smartphones, TVs, Soundbars, headphones, TWS, etc, consumer goods that are produced and sold with countless times more volumes.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Still some apples and oranges comparison. DACs/Amps are indeed there in quite a niche market. Nothing comparable with smartphones, TVs, Soundbars, headphones, TWS, etc, consumer goods that are produced and sold with countless times more volumes.
The comparison was originally made with Xiaomi and its different companies releasing many phones, which is precisely what Samsung does as well.

Top Bottom