• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Then for Genelec’s answer to that. Then again for Neumann’s answer to that. Again for Genelec’s answer to that. Then again for Neumann’s answer to that…
And then sometime later, perhaps, maybe, Pearljam5000 will have bought a pair of speakers with the latest design of tweeters! ;)

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had no ideia that Atmos was so widespread. Or are you referring to a specific genre?
It’s huge apparently thanks to Apple saying that they won’t promote any album in iTunes without an Atmos mix.

So yeah it’s great for mostly Genelec which is the only one to offer affordable solutions for that. Meaning no need for major architectural design to have a mixing setup for Atmos. Example: Blackbird studios and their ATC powered mixing room.

I don’t know who else offers a comprehensive solution for that.

It’s good for the industry too in that hopefully more people will be trained to work on those mixes.

So you can look at how much work they had to do to incorporate ATC in that setup. The 8381 might be pricey but it will save a lot on that architectural work which they needed in order to go with ATC. Genelec did not have an alternative at that time but that changed yesterday.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had no ideia that Atmos was so widespread. Or are you referring to a specific genre?
Since launch, the number of monthly Spatial Audio listeners has more than tripled, with more than 80 percent of worldwide subscribers enjoying the experience, while monthly plays in Spatial Audio have grown by over 1,000 percent.

Release tracker

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that I seen more pics and got more insights about them .

If had these kind of money ( dot.com multi millionaire) , I probably get them for the sheer hell of it :) they look rather god when I get used to them ( and understand the technical reasons for it ) and being multi millionaire one pair would go into a purpose built music room anyway .

These would probably easily outperform much very very expensive and very exotic high end stuff and come away as bargains :)

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of these problems are solvable. Question is, should we try to do that? I recently had a company offer 120 pound speakers for testing and I passed on it (for now). I have to see if I can locate some local help that can come as a crew and get things setup and teardown much like a company would. As I noted though, this means $500 or more out of pocket for logistics. I am game doing it if the value is there.
They and the measurement you get from them could serve as reference literally if they are as good as claimed .
But as said big main monitors are a very niche product category, the only costumers are a select few big studios ( and 3 crazy audiophiles bying them for fun :) )

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Also a big coaxial active speaker (22 inch woofer )
But the price ..omg
1 (4).jpg
LA-SPHERE-CAC-PLZ-1.jpg
Screenshot_20230518_004719_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: CMB

tuga

Major Contributor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"more than 80 percent of worldwide subscribers enjoying the experience"

Do you need special earbuds to experience it?
I’m not sure about headphones but any Atmos system will play those tracks.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"more than 80 percent of worldwide subscribers enjoying the experience"

Do you need special earbuds to experience it?
Yeah pretty much. For no reason other than apple locks it to their products only.

EDIT:
Sorry i’m wrong. At some point they opened it up to all headphones.

But those plays - which means anyone with any headphone who selects an atmos encoded song is considered in that statistic.

It does not mean people have gone out and bought atmos systems. Even if they did it’s usually some soundbar.

The only folks who would wire it up correctly are probably college dorm kids if they cared. Because who cares about visible wires everywhere in college?

EDIT 2: the need for first party Apple headphones is to get headtracking with your Atmos. I would argue the format on headphones is pointless without head tracking.

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not sure about headphones but any Atmos system will play those tracks.
The vast majority are those “atmos” soundbars with a driver pointing upwards to bounce off the ceilings to emulate the height channels.

Another option is 2 channel atmos via a pair of HomePods. Or AirPod pros.

All of those count as “atmos” plays under apple’s statistics.

I could whip out my AirPods Pro and play any atmos track and it will count as an “atmos” play.

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it matter? They need 9+ speakers to mix & master.

Yes when they say 80% of plays are atmos those are headphone plays. I guess on some level it doesn’t matter but really the format will mostly be consumed on headphones.

I don’t know anyone personally with any atmos home setup and if they did it would be a soundbar “atmos”. Just another logo on the box of some sound bar they were going to buy anyway.

Nobody I know will retro wire a room and mount ceiling speakers and that includes the most diehard multichannel friends I know.

They do 5.1 at most and even that with speakers in the pattern of the old Dolby surround or pro logic with rear dipoles just sitting somewhere around in the side/back. It didn’t matter in those formats as they were used for cinema fill tracks.

Nobody I know has setup a true ITU pattern for surround music. Only some of the SACD and DVD-A folks did that way back when those formats came out. That’s still very few.

Leave alone anyone setting up an atmos system for music. I know we have a few here but we niche already and that would be a niche within a niche.

Good that apple pushed the production of it and that sells monitors for production but all that consumption they talk about is mostly on headphones and crap setups like soundbars.

The worst thing about it all is that your sofa can’t even have a headrest if you intend to listen to it in a real space. That ruled it out for me right there.

What’s the point of rear speakers perfectly positioned and aimed when my ears are occluded by my sofa from those rears? I have 8341s ready to go. I could add a center monitor and give it whirl. I have so many speakers around here I could test it with different speakers for proof of concept.

However the sofa occlusion thing just kills it. You pretty much need to consume it in a similar setup as was required to produce it.

Which is like 9 speakers around you perfectly positioned and time aligned and calibrated. Fine. But the sitting on an office chair right in the correct spot always is a real pain. Comfort matters.

Headphones are the way this will consumed. There’s nothing wrong with that. I’ve heard some really great things in VR spatial audio.

I tried a few tracks on AirPods Pro with atmos and that’s the real advantage of the first party stuff - it includes head tracking. I don’t really remember anything special about it.

So it’s like yeah people are playing these atmos tracks but they don’t even know that they are. They probably think it’s just a regular stereo song.

Last edited:

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In the same order of ideas and to relativize, with 70 k euros you can afford a Porsche Cayman with many more components, patents, technologies and engineering that are used and a warranty period parts and labor longer.

Part of this is that Genelec will charge what people will pay. However, in Genelec's defense, the Cayman will sell more units in a year than this will sell in the next decade and the Cayman shares a lot of critical parts. Part of the difficulty of a speaker like this is that the millions spent in engineering, designing the custom drivers and the tooling will have to be allocated over a very small number of units.

Top Bottom