• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, studios stopped using soffit mounted speakers.
what studios?... spent my entire career (and still working) in music recording studios and film scoring stages all over the world and what I've seen (even in new construction over the last decade) is soffit mounting is a mainstay (as are mid-fields and near-field scattered around in those same control rooms)...

free-standing mid-fields and near-fields have distinct advantages for smaller commercial audio-post needs and personal use recording rooms - as they can save quite a lot in required square footage as well as design and construction costs...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
not so because it isn't a good solution though. it's just that every single engenier started using near-field monitors.
But all studios (that are not one-man studios) still have mid or far field speakers along with near field ones. The latter is not a replacement for the far field speakers as they are still used, just not soffit mounted types.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the same order of ideas and to relativize, with 70 k euros you can afford a Porsche Cayman with many more components, patents, technologies and engineering that are used and a warranty period parts and labor longer.
but that doesn't stop me from really fantasizing about what Genelec has just created and I think every audio enthusiast should do so.

View attachment 286084
No thank you on the 4 cylinder.

It’s a good car but let’s face it it’s a refresh of the 2013 model and cheapified basically. That’s where the engineering resources go these days.

It’s not comfortable or practical. It feels great. Carries presence etc. but it gets old.

I would argue the technology and engineering on the 8381a is superior and novel engineering design. Nobody has done this before.

Most of all that big deal stuff like the Carbon Ceramic Brakes are developed in conjunction with Brembo. A lot of the parts are specified by Porsche and the development is done by the suppliers.

You’re not getting CCB on a $70k euro Porsche either. Better pony up $170k for that level.

The car requires $thousands in yearly maintenance. A base PDK 4 banger is not the type to hold value either. It will depreciate rapidly.

In about 4 years it may fetch about 45k euro maybe.

These 8381a will last a decade or two easily. If I have to sell them they may fetch about 70% of the original price if I wait for a buyer.

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
I don't know why you push that idea and what's your background, but that's not true, any modern room that for example Northward Acoustics design for studios or single users are flush mounted ATC, even Skrillex got himself exactly that. In high end mixing and mastering rooms they are pretty standard and popular. I often work in around 10 different studios around my country, and about half of them have flush mounted monitoring, almost all of them were constructed in the last 10-15 years, so yeah, just not true.

aschen

Coincidently, i have a 4cyl cayman gts, it is better in every way to the prior 981 variant except the sound (which is a big except I get it). It is ALOT faster than a 981 GTS as a consolation however. Carbon ceramics are an option on most porches even on a lowly 2.0t Cayman T. No thanks for me too expensive to maintain for track work. Most guys switch them out for HPDE with iron and put them back on for resale.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
what studios?... spent my entire career (and still working) in music recording studios and film scoring stages all over the world and what I've seen (even in new construction over the last decade) is soffit mounting is a mainstay (as are mid-fields and near-field scattered around in those same control rooms)...
In which case you may recognise the following rooms.

Attachments

• IMG_4013.jpeg
    IMG_4013.jpeg
    418.2 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_4014.jpeg
    IMG_4014.jpeg
    473.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_4015.jpeg
    IMG_4015.jpeg
    21.9 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_4016.jpeg
    IMG_4016.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_4017.jpeg
    IMG_4017.jpeg
    346.9 KB · Views: 1,453
  • IMG_4019.jpeg
    IMG_4019.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 199

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
In which case you may recognise the following rooms.
there's a big difference between those two types of rooms, half of them are recording studios with boards and were used for stereo work, the other are designed for mixing surround and immersive audio, you don't flush mount every speaker there. Look into the modern rooms designed for stereo mixing and mastering work, like any Northward I posted, and you'll see flush mounted mains with stand alone nearfields all over

IamJF

Ive never been in a real studio. Why do you need so much output? Mixing space seems pretty small in most pics I have seen.

These are Mid or Farfield speakers - listening distance is 2-4 times of nearfield. So you easy need 10dB more SPL. That's 10 times the amp power if you don't raise sensitivity of the speaker ... You also need better rejection of room sound cause of the bigger distance.

And you normally don't need these levels for mixing but nowerdays you often also record in the control room (Guitar, Bass, Keyboards directly in the box or with the amp in a different room) and then you need a lot of dynamic. My speakers in my control room (4x 8" LF drivers) are perfectly fine for mixing but can't bring the dynamic I would need to feel great on the stage piano. So next build is with 4x 12" and higher sensitivity midrange driver.

70k is still a lot when you think about the material prices etc for such a speaker pair. But there goes a lot of time into development, small batch stuff is expensive.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Coincidently, i have a 4cyl cayman gts, it is better in every way to the prior 981 variant except the sound (which is a big except I get it). It is ALOT faster than a 981 GTS as a consolation however. Carbon ceramics are an option on most porches even on a lowly 2.0t Cayman T. No thanks for me too expensive to maintain for track work. Most guys switch them out for HPDE with iron and put them back on for resale.
Yes I hear you. It’s faster. That torque must be fun.

It’s not the 4-cyl exactly that’s the issue. It’s just philosophically I believe a track car or sports car should be naturally aspirated.

Maybe i’m old school, maybe i’m a Luddite.

If anyone can get a turbo to have a linear throttle response it’s Porsche. Still I think it’s wrong.

Then again Porsche has been doing turbos for decades well before they had to due to emissions regulations. They sort of had to as they couldn’t fit a bigger engine and they needed the power.

Yes you are right about Porsche allowing even the most base model to get $120k+ in options. That’s their thing. But does it make sense on a base Cayman to add $10k brakes that are so delicate? I bet you can add more in options than the base MSRP.

Anyway nice car but just too much car for the road.

If I had to make a choice Genelec would get the money and I’d cut back on my car. Maybe i’m getting old and want a more comfortable commuter car.

Btw, sound matters on Porsche. The most noticeable thing about the car was all the sounds. Every single thing you do with the car makes a specific and distinctive sound.

I didn’t get the sport exhaust but I keep wondering about adding it.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
there's a big difference between those two types of rooms, half of them are recording studios with boards and were used for stereo work, the other are designed for mixing surround and immersive audio, you don't flush mount every speaker there.
I intentionally chose different rooms as I said “for whatever the reason” soffit mounted speakers are not used but you found out one of the reasons for not using soffit mount speakers. :)

How many stereo only control rooms are built? Will any studio owner spends money on a stereo only music recording room when every release has an Atmos version?

Look into the modern rooms designed for stereo mixing and mastering work, like any Northward I posted, and you'll see flush mounted mains with stand alone nearfields all over
See above…

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean I used to work with a guy who wore a Lange datograph, that's half of one of these on one wrist. How much should the best speaker commercially available cost?

ocinn

I vote we hold-off on seeking out a measurement sample for Amir, until we get the EASE files and see how useful they might be. We won't get distortion, but for almost every other metric of performance, you can project the data from Genelec's anechoic chamber directly to a graph from the comfort of your own home.

Pultzar

What is the ideal distance between these speakers and the front wall? As close as possible? Directly in front of a large amount of sound absorption?

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
I intentionally chose different rooms as I said “for whatever the reason” soffit mounted speakers are not used but you found out one of the reasons for not using soffit mount speakers. :)

How many stereo only control rooms are built? Will any studio owner spends money on a stereo only music recording room when every release has an Atmos version?

See above…
The point is flush mounting is still used and as popular as ever, just less in the control rooms that are used for tracking, I don't what's your agenda in not acknowledging it, but it's weird

MAB

Major Contributor
I didn't know that studios stopped using soffit-mounted elements. Why so?
If so, why are so many soffit-specific speakers still available? Inertia? As far as I know, this would be the first non-soffit main that Genelec produced, did they just miss the boat and arrive late with freestanding mains?

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
I didn't know that studios stopped using soffit-mounted elements. Why so?
If so, why are so many soffit-specific speakers still available? Inertia? As far as I know, this would be the first non-soffit main that Genelec produced, did they just miss the boat and arrive late with freestanding mains?
they are still used, all most respected pro audio manufacturers offer both stand alone and soffit mounted models (or at least mounts for it), ATC, Genelec, PMC, Neumann, Adam etc. My guess is Genelec want a cut of that audiophile cake and also offer an alternative for all of those mastering rooms which still uses B&W, KEFs, Wilson Audio and don't want to redesign the room after a change

Top Bottom