• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Some info from the manual
Screenshot_20240126_185015_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20240126_185059_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20240126_185141_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20240126_185201_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20240126_185215_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20240126_185308_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20240126_185318_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When the reflection comes in the first 10ms the brain adds it to the main signal and it colours the sound. 10ms that's 3,3m extra path what you need for your reflection (e.g. 2,5m direct path from speaker to ear, reflection needs to travel 5,8m or more)
You NEVER have this in smaller roome and not possible with a normal height ceiling! That's the reason live recording rooms are high and big - you need to delay the reflections for that spacious sound.
Yepi. I use the rule of thumb 1ms = 1ft. So maybe in a big room wider dispersion sounds good and gives “envelopment” but what about a domestic listening room? I’ll take narrow dispersion in that situation any day.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will there be a subjective difference between absorbed reflections and no reflections?

A lot of studios put main monitors into the corner (mounted on a baffle wall) so that sound cannot possibly reflect off the side walls (with less than 45 degree dispersion speakers). That's also what B&O goes for with their narrow mode and constant directivity.
I think they like absorption/diffusion. That way the sound goes all over the place and has different length paths. They say let that be about -10db down.

DSJR

Major Contributor
In our sitting room, the window to the right does seem to pull the upper mids to the right a bit. I minimised this by toeing the speakers in a bit more which certainly sharpened up the perceived centre image. Not idea but it's ok. The old bodged-up Spendors could give a superb centre image but move a fraction off the desired listening position and it went right off which the Harbeths don't anything like as much.

I'd dearly LOVE to hear these Genelecs as a kind of bucket-list thing, but I fear they're too ugly for high end UK dealers used to selling Wilsons, Magicos and so on (I'm thinking KJWest One) and arguably too much of a one-stop amp-speaker situation anyway for their choosy high end subjectivist clients. Other dealers out of London can just about make Dynaudio Confidence 60's at forty five grand or so, or the broadly similar price PMC Fenestrias which seem to measure better than their cheaper brethren and even then, the Naim with (now) Kudos speaker upgrade ladder seems to be it really and I have to say that I suspect these genelecs would eat them alive in terms of performance and arguably, musical satisfaction away from their monitoring prime function...

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Well everything is relative I suppose…

Keith

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Damn…..I came here to post that ^……late to the party yet again

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
These look like what the WattPuppy could be if only Wilson knew what the fuck they were doing.
Not like wilson consumers care, wilson does what their target customers desire

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not like wilson consumers care, wilson does what their target customers desire
Indeed - Wilson knows exactly what they're doing. Selling overbuilt (the word "overengineered" doesn't really apply) wacky-looking, expensive speakers that have a (I assume) pleasant-but-colored response that ticks the right boxes for their rich clientele.

Maybe Wilson is smarter than Genelec in that regard. They're charging just as much for giant weird-looking speakers (sometimes more) and they don't even have to do a bunch of boring math and simulations to design them.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Indeed - Wilson knows exactly what they're doing. Selling overbuilt (the word "overengineered" doesn't really apply) wacky-looking, expensive speakers that have a (I assume) pleasant-but-colored response that ticks the right boxes for their rich clientele.

Maybe Wilson is smarter than Genelec in that regard. They're charging just as much for giant weird-looking speakers (sometimes more) and they don't even have to do a bunch of boring math and simulations to design them.
Wilson has done an amazing job positioning their products from a marketing perspective. In truth I’ve only ever heard some Sasha’s in a home space. They really are unbelievably beautiful looking and sound quite good. They are your girlfriend’s 3k Gucci handbag. Expensive in the most desirable way. I tend to be more practical but they look the part for sure.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wilson has done an amazing job positioning their products from a marketing perspective. In truth I’ve only ever heard some Sasha’s in a home space. They really are unbelievably beautiful looking and sound quite good. They are your girlfriend’s 3k Gucci handbag. Expensive in the most desirable way. I tend to be more practical but they look the part for sure.
I don't really disagree... haven't heard any but I think they look awesome in the way an impractical sports car or something looks awesome. And I imagine they sound nice, just doubt they "measure well" in every aspect like the Genelecs would. So I was not really joking, I think they know what they're doing, but they are not playing the same game that Genelec is playing.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Hi

Same could be said about so many HEA manufacturers.. Some examples... you have the Total Crap..err TotalDAC.. DAC that at $15,000 is thoroughly surpassed in everything that matters by a mountain of under $100 DACs... or a pair of Fosi V3 amplifiers outperforming the $350,000.oo WAVAC SET amplifiers, in everything that matters, or a circa $100 WiiM compared to the $2500 Lumin streamer ...

You catching my drift ;)

Peace.

Top Bottom