• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

benanders

I mean, if we’re commandeering a band name to promote single-company coolness despite said band generally being against that…
If it gets me kicked, okay.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They’re probably missing the sense of envelopment a wide dispersion speaker gives.
I don’t understand these terms honestly. In my 20+ years of buying and listening to audio equipment nothing has hit me emotionally like the first time I heard a pair of 8351. It might have been a confluence of circumstances in my case but really nothing hits that directly.

Maybe I need a lesson on what is envelopment and what it sounds like?

Edit: while most recorded music productions mostly provide a front soundstage that does reach beyond the point of the speakers but not exactly beside me.

The funny thing though is some YouTube videos recorded from GoPro microphones can place sounds directly beside my ears.

So what is this “envelopment” then? Just the room adding its own flavor to the sound?

Last edited:

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don’t understand these terms honestly. In my 20+ years of buying and listening to audio equipment nothing has hit me emotionally like the first time I heard a pair of 8351. It might have been a confluence of circumstances in my case but really nothing hits that directly.

Maybe I need a lesson on what is envelopment and what it sounds like?
Really was just a shot in the dark about what they meant by “emotion”. Kinda the same reason the Salon 2 was preferred over the M2 in that shootout…Toole predicted the outcome based on the wider dispersion.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really was just a shot in the dark about what they meant by “emotion”. Kinda the same reason the Salon 2 was preferred over the M2 in that shootout…Toole predicted the outcome based on the wider dispersion.

So necessarily you want first reflection points? Or is it a matter of treating all side walls with 3D diffusers at least to sort of break up the reflections?

For example my side walls are 15 feet away on both sides. If I get a speaker with wider dispersion I guess it will hit the back wall and bounce around everywhere and give me that sense of “envelopmemt” It seems to me that if you want envelopment then you need to hire an acoustician to avoid a single point reflection that would create a second apparent sound source. Maybe people prefer having that second slightly delayed apparent source?

RobL

So necessarily you want first reflection points? Or is it a matter of treating all side walls with 3D diffusers at least to sort of break up the reflections?

For example my side walls are 15 feet away on both sides. If I get a speaker with wider dispersion I guess it will hit the back wall and bounce around everywhere and give me that sense of “envelopmemt” It seems to me that if you want envelopment then you need to hire an acoustician to avoid a single point reflection that would create a second apparent sound source. Maybe people prefer having that second slightly delayed apparent source?
Hot topic on ASR, lol.
Some here feel first reflections should be damped, some (Toole and maybe Amir included, I think) feel it’s not necessary and is maybe detrimental to the stereo experience. One caveat, the speakers need to have good off/axis performance, as in even dispersion and a similar tonality to the on-axis response. Speakers with poor off-axis performance absolutely need reflections damped for best experience.

suttondesign

Forum Donor
i think the points made by those who favor first reflections is that, in addition to being similar in tone, they are delayed by a certain minimum amount. that is posited as allowing the brain to sort them out as indirect. perhaps the time delay interval is precisely that amount of time the brain needs to process what is going on.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Best maybe, but they are very ugly.
The "studio monitor look" is not a functional requirement, but it matters a lot for their main customers - actual professional studios.

Clients want to come in and see serious equipment. If you walk into a studio that costs you $200/hr and it looks like somebody's living room, you're not going to feel at all confident that your money is going to good use.

Pro gear needs to look visually distinct from consumer gear, because it's supposed to play a different role. In reality we know this isn't really true, but I am sure Genelec would lose business if this thing looked like a Dali or Revel speaker.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The "studio monitor look" is not a functional requirement, but it matters a lot for their main customers - actual professional studios.

Clients want to come in and see serious equipment. If you walk into a studio that costs you $200/hr and it looks like somebody's living room, you're not going to feel at all confident that your money is going to good use.

Pro gear needs to look visually distinct from consumer gear, because it's supposed to play a different role. In reality we know this isn't really true, but I am sure Genelec would lose business if this thing looked like a Dali or Revel speaker.
Or
Because it's a true pro monitor than the design philosophy is form follows function like in all of their monitors .
This model Especially is practically impossible to make prettier than it is

Sokel

Master Contributor

Studio mains are soffit mounted most of the times,these are for the special cases that can't be done.
But even for those that are about to be mounted the new flagships seem to look nicer than the older ones:

1706210090720.jpeg
(and that's from 2014)

Edit:there must be a sweet spot to those 6kW Genelecs got,as these PCMs have the same power per speaker)

Last edited:
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I mean, if we’re commandeering a band name to promote single-company coolness despite said band generally being against that…
If it gets me kicked, okay.
I appreciate the fact that you're willing to be banned because of me .
Also I'm sure Eddie Vedder would love the Genelec sound so everything's OK ;)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This model Especially is practically impossible to make prettier than it is
Oh, I don't know, a grille, a few curves on the housing, and a car paint or wood veneer finish, and you could really give this thing a different look. Just keep the drivers and baffle edges in the same place, and you can still do a lot with it.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Oh, I don't know, a grille, a few curves on the housing, and a car paint or wood veneer finish, and you could really give this thing a different look. Just keep the drivers and baffle edges in the same place, and you can still do a lot with it.
Yeha but if they cost $64K now...imagine how much they would cost if they applied your suggestions

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hot topic on ASR, lol.
Some here feel first reflections should be damped, some (Toole and maybe Amir included, I think) feel it’s not necessary and is maybe detrimental to the stereo experience. One caveat, the speakers need to have good off/axis performance, as in even dispersion and a similar tonality to the on-axis response. Speakers with poor off-axis performance absolutely need reflections damped for best experience.

Well the Genelec GRADE wants near term reflections down by 10dB.

I’m beginning to think this is a preference for listening but a standard for production and broadcast. When things get subjective like that there is no right or wrong. Just a preference. I’m okay with the ambience in the recording and I don’t really want any additions caused by my room.

Did the mixing engineer have that envelopment when they mixed the song?

Anyway this thread has some opinions and thoughts on the matter:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i think the points made by those who favor first reflections is that, in addition to being similar in tone, they are delayed by a certain minimum amount. that is posited as allowing the brain to sort them out as indirect. perhaps the time delay interval is precisely that amount of time the brain needs to process what is going on.
Very tough in a small room.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Unless the studio uses B&W haha

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay +$10k to domesticate it for the audiophiles. Actually yeah why not just double the price for wood trim. Like some of these cars +5000 for wood trim. +$10000 for carbon fiber. +$10000 for leather dash. Etc

None of that makes it sound better or drive better.

Top Bottom