• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New member upgrade recommendation.

Zaxdad

HiAll.
I'm new to the site. What a great resource. I'm looking for some recommendations. I currently have a Pioneer VSX-LX503, a 15-year-old SVS PB10, and 3 Chane 2.1 speakers. My room is 11x22 with a peaked 8' ceiling. The room doesn't lend itself to being wired for height speakers. Most of our listening is movies or concert discs. I don't sit and listen to music any longer. I tried both a Focal Chora and an Elac Carina center channel speaker. Both were too fatiguing. I'm currently trying a KEF Q650C and like it. I'm trying to invest another $1000-1500. It seems like a new receiver would offer the least return on investment. Maybe a pair of KEF Q550 mains and a good $500 sub? A pair of KEF Q350's and a better sub? Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Welcome to the site.

Out of curiosity what is it about your sub that makes you consider replacing it? I have an SVS SB1000 and it's the only component that has survived multiple upgrade cycles are remains likely to survive at least one or two more (unless the living space itself gets upgraded).

KEF is a fantastic choice. Perhaps consider starting with the front L&R and see if anything further seems necessary?

OP
Z

Zaxdad

I just figured that subs may have improved in the last15 years. Given that most of our listening is movies I figured the center and sub are the most important components. I wish had space for a second sub. Too much clutter.

Top Bottom