• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030c or KEF LSX-II

Martini

Forum Donor
I'm on a little desktop speaker journey. Started out trying a single new Apple HomePod, but wasn't thrilled about it's sound, and now need to sell it on. Since I'm not far from Crutchfield's, I decided to try the KEF LSX-II. Amir had good a review of the original LSX, except for the software. It is much better then the Homepod and is attractive, but the balance seems off to me. The various setting within the app have not helped much. Since I have 60-days to audition this, I was wondering if I should try a pair to Genelec 8020's or 8030c's. I haven't seen much about the 8020s. The 8030c review very well and a pair cost the same as the KEFs. They are probably a little larger than I'd prefer and I would need to get another DAC. I'd probably go with a Topping E70. Since the desk sits against a corner wall, I'll likely need to use some EQ to get the best sound, but I'd like to get as close to "good" as I can, first. Question is, is it worth trying to Genelec? I don't have a local dealer, so I'd have to order both the speakers and DAC and incur the return shipping if I don't love them.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can’t go wrong with Gennies.
I agree. If the OP doesn't need the additional features of the LSX-II (or is able to find a workaround) trying the 8030 is a must. I'd also throw in the Neumann KH120, price should go down now with the introduction of the KH120 II.

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
I really don't need the WiFi feature of the LSX-II, with it on my desktop I plug it into the laptop USB. The 3.5mm AUX input could be handy. I think having an external DAC/Pre with a knob would be much more usable then having to open an app or punching the button on the remote a million times to adjust the volume on the KEFs.

Pouyoux

I was on the same quest not so long ago :
- didn't take LSX because there are too much unnecessary "complicated" things inside (software, daisy chaining, wifi) and I like KISS concept
- didn't take the Genelec because of the cost : quality is there but a subwoofer seems mandatory so it's a +2000€ setup.
- did take a SMSL DO100 + Focal Alpha Evo 50, I think I have decent audio quality for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
Well, got a pair of 3080s on the way in. Hope they are the ticket, because I'd have to pay the shipping and restocking fee, if I return them. Now I'll have to build another set of balanced cables, because I don't have a long enough pair on hand. Also, I need to decided what to do for a DAC. I was leaning toward a Topping E70, because I have on in the family room system and it sounds good. However, the remote sucks, though that is less of an issue at my desk. What is a concern, though, are the reports of these going to 0.0 dB randomly at start up. That would be bad! Anybody, have suggestion on the DAC/Pre route? I'd love a Benchmark DAC3-HGC; love and trust their products, but I'd have to find a killer deal make this happen.

Norcal

Well, got a pair of 3080s on the way in. Hope they are the ticket, because I'd have to pay the shipping and restocking fee, if I return them. Now I'll have to build another set of balanced cables, because I don't have a long enough pair on hand. Also, I need to decided what to do for a DAC. I was leaning toward a Topping E70, because I have on in the family room system and it sounds good. However, the remote sucks, though that is less of an issue at my desk. What is a concern, though, are the reports of these going to 0.0 dB randomly at start up. That would be bad! Anybody, have suggestion on the DAC/Pre route? I'd love a Benchmark DAC3-HGC; love and trust their products, but I'd have to find a killer deal make this happen.
Many here love the RME ADI DAC - you get EQ capability, great performance, reliability and other features for the $.

TomJ

I've had Genelecs and KEFs in the past and wondered about the same thing for a new bedroom system, along with the LS50W II as a third option. A friend who's a recording engineer suggested trying the Q Acoustics M20 first. I have no experience with Q but decided to take his advice. I ordered a pair from Crutchfield for $500 and they were delivered a couple days ago.

Here’s the M20 FR in-room on USB input as measured in REW. The M20 are on stands 10 ft apart and the listening position is centered 12 ft away.

FR L,R Dirac off.png

I then installed Dirac Live 3 on my Mac Air M2, calculated a room correction filter using the default target curve at full bandwidth above 40Hz, and measured the FR again with the filter running. At this volume, THD measures ~45dB below source (outside the range of this graph) across the same bandwidth. Impulse responses are much cleaner as well.

FR L,R Dirac on.png

The filter runs on the Dirac plugin on Audirvana Studio, which streams audio to the M20s on Airplay by toslink from an Airport Express gen 2. The sound quality is excellent and the M20s are a keeper. I’m also surprised by how efficiently the filter runs on the Mac. It has almost no CPU overhead during 44.1k playback as measured in the MacOS Activity Monitor.

Hope that’s helpful.

cheers, Tom

Last edited:
OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
I've had Genelecs and KEFs in the past and wondered about the same thing for a new bedroom system, along with the LS50W II as a third option. A friend who's a recording engineer suggested trying the Q Acoustics M20 first. I have no experience with Q but decided to take his advice. I ordered a pair from Crutchfield for $500 and they were delivered a couple days ago.

Here’s the M20 FR in-room on USB input as measured in REW. The M20 are on stands 10 ft apart and the listening position is centered 12 ft away.

View attachment 287236

I then installed Dirac Live 3 on my Mac Air M2, calculated a room correction filter using the default target curve at full bandwidth above 40Hz, and measured the FR again with the filter running. At this volume, THD measures ~45dB below source (outside the range of this graph) across the same bandwidth. Impulse responses are much cleaner as well.

View attachment 287428

The filter runs on the Dirac plugin on Audirvana Studio, which streams audio to the M20s on Airplay by toslink from an Airport Express gen 2. The sound quality is excellent and the M20s are a keeper. I’m also surprised by how efficiently the filter runs on the Mac. It has almost no CPU overhead during 44.1k playback as measured in the MacOS Activity Monitor.

Hope that’s helpful.

cheers, Tom
I run Dirac (Mac-standalone version) on my main system and may run it on the Genelecs. I'll have to see how smooth I can get it using the DIP switches first; maybe I'll get lucky, but I doubt it. :)

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
Well, the KEFs went back and the Genelec are staying. I probably extended myself a little on the DAC side and grabbed the Benchmark DAC3 HGC :facepalm::). Since I have a stack of their equipment in my main system, I'm familiar with their overall quality. I did run DIRAC on the speakers and that helped a lot, but think I need to get an accoustic panel for the space between the speaker. The desk being against the front wall is problematic for sound even with DIRAC EQ. Still better then the KEF, I should have trusted my instincts. I heard the LS50-meta hooked up to some Macintosh equipment at Crutchfield and wasn't crazy about the sound. Out of the box, the LSX-II had the same "family" sound. Something about it just didn't jive with me.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Well, the KEFs went back and the Genelec are staying. I probably extended myself a little on the DAC side and grabbed the Benchmark DAC3 HGC :facepalm::). Since I have a stack of their equipment in my main system, I'm familiar with their overall quality. I did run DIRAC on the speakers and that helped a lot, but think I need to get an accoustic panel for the space between the speaker. The desk being against the front wall is problematic for sound even with DIRAC EQ. Still better then the KEF, I should have trusted my instincts. I heard the LS50-meta hooked up to some Macintosh equipment at Crutchfield and wasn't crazy about the sound. Out of the box, the LSX-II had the same "family" sound. Something about it just didn't jive with me.
What do you mean by "family sound"?

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
What do you mean by "family sound"?
That there was a similar sound characteristic shared between the LS50 meta and the LSX-ii.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
That there was a similar sound characteristic shared between the LS50 meta and the LSX-ii.
Well, both are from the same manufacturera and the design is quite close. Would you mind elaborating a bit?

I personally think that any active KEF speaker would benefit from running Dirac and chances are you have done that, so I'd love to ask what were your results and a bit further comparison.

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
I unfortunately, did not run DIRAC on the KEFs, as I was not aware that I could use my subscription on two computers (although I wouldn't be listening to both at the same time). I'm certain that it would have improved some aspects of their performance. I did run REW sweeps and tried to get the best results I could through the KEF app. That was a bit frustrating because the app changes were a bit slow/delayed going to the speakers. You would make a change and then have to wait a couple seconds for it to transfer and listen for the change effect. The frequency range of the LSX-ii and 8030Cs are very similar, but out of box the 8030s were a little more on target for me. Plus, I was not a fan of my iPhone being the main control for the speakers. I guess they are more of a lifestyle speaker, than a desktop monitor. That said, adding a DAC into the cost equation did hurt the wallet a little, but it will also allow me to utilize headphones down the line. I do like having the volume knob within quick reach. Oh, I was also a little surprised by the vertical tonal change I found with the KEFs; both speakers have this but it was a greater on them then I would have thought. I expected it would have been the opposite do to the concentric driver design.

Last edited:

smokey_mountain_asr

Forum Donor
On KEF II there was more hiss (with no music playing) than on Genelecs within 3 feet distance. Of course both are active and both hiss, but somehow KEF II was more prominent.

Top Bottom