• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LSX II eq settings

dariom79

Hello all,

my first post here - I've looked everywhere and even asked KEF but no reply. Effectively I struggle with my LSX II eq settings... they sound almost OK with the default profile but I need to integrate subwoofer and tweak treble so need to eq creating a "Normal" or "Expert" profile, and here the issues start... I thought I would start off from the default profile with all settings at "zero" but as I shift to an adjustable "Normal" or "Expert" profile I get a different sound to start with, which seems to lose significant mid-bass compared to the default and no possibility of recovering this via eq as adjustment are limited.

Anyone having a similar issue? Does the starting point for the normal/expert setting sound same as default? I wonder whether
- the app is crap
- I'm missing something
- my speakers are defective

It's shame as as it is I either get the nice meaty sound of the default profile with recessed trebles and poorly integrated sub, or I get the good trebles and the sub stuff but then losing a lot of "thump" that makes the speakers far less engaging. The hardware is clearly there!

Regards,
Dario

nickday

Hi @dariom79 - I'm having exactly the same issue, did you ever find a solution? I want to use the Default settings as a starting point for my own customisations, but it doesn't look like its possible. I've also emailed KEF a couple days ago to ask what the default settings actually are, but no response yet - did you hear back from them?

OP
D

dariom79

Hi @dariom79 - I'm having exactly the same issue, did you ever find a solution? I want to use the Default settings as a starting point for my own customisations, but it doesn't look like its possible. I've also emailed KEF a couple days ago to ask what the default settings actually are, but no response yet - did you hear back from them?
Hello yes I did, unexpectedly after months! No idea how one would figure out without knowing, however it works :)

"Regarding your query, please note that the default EQ cannot be replicated in normal mode; it can only be done in Expert mode. You will need to first select the default profile and then add a new profile while selecting Expert mode. This action will create a new profile in Expert mode based on the default EQ."

nickday

Ah yes, not sure why I thought Expert mode default was different, sounds just the same - thanks!

OP
D

dariom79

Ah yes, not sure why I thought Expert mode default was different, sounds just the same - thanks!
So if you add an Expert mode profile while you're on the Normal profile page, it will sound same as the Normal to start with, while if you add it while you're on the Default profile it will sound as the Default to start with. No idea why but that's how it seems to work!

Scottwhit

Good to know about the Default setting being replicated in Expert mode. I have LS50W ii with two KC62 subs. I am running them stereo through the Connect app with the default crossover settings of 70/45

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish I was as lucky as all three of you, as this was my first foray into the complex world of KEF active speakers << The LSXIIs, to be specific, which were purchased as flexible monitors in a SoHo.
My 1st challenge was discovering that there is no way to power-up the LSXIIs, unless you are connected to some external network (WiFi or RJ45).
My 2nd challenge was realizing that there isn't a "KEF connect" app for WindowsOS.:mad:
My 3rd challenge was also realizing that their R/C is useless, until you marry a phone to the d*mn thing!o_O
I don't know when I stopped counting the challenges, but I could not even connect an Aux input, or an USB-C or even a BT pairing to them (w/o the1st proper phone+LSX marriage).
I finally realized that I best stop tinkering with with the d*mn things on Christmas day and wait until the adjustable stands arrive.

Yes, LSXIIs have the aesthetics. KEF has thought about the details and even the shipping box is sexy... until you realize that the enclosed 'quick start' pamphlet is worthless.
They have not made a peep for me yet!

Top Bottom